Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    dome!
    thank you guys so very much!
    I decided to just check the PRL Id before updating and it already shows that it is at 60650. No need to update then... Thanks anyways!
    lol...mine is at 60649...guess I need to update
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    I decided to just check the PRL Id before updating and it already shows that it is at 60650. No need to update then... Thanks anyways!
    Yes, some phones are updating automatically, which is weird since the manually triggered OTA install doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Really? I had no idea there was a 60649...

Yeah, strange how some are getting this pushed. Perhaps it's a regional thing?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    That's what I was thinking... very odd...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I have not had my 800w flagged thru tech support and have PRL 60650
    Same here. I have not even called Sprint once since I had this phone and I am at 60650. Obviously the auto update does work for some of us. Strange
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Not me, it only worked for me on my 755p.
    Out of curiousity, I called Sprint Tech Suport and asked what the is the latest PRL version and was told it is 60650 that came out in July, the phones must be updating automatically.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Really? I had no idea there was a 60649...
    I can find no record or mention of a 60649 PRL. I'd like to see a screenshot of that....

Well, I don't think it's regional because I got the 60614 update, but not the 60650 one.

'Tis odd.

Though....perhaps the 60614 effected my area, while 60650 didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    Out of curiousity, I called Sprint Tech Suport and asked what the is the latest PRL version and was told it is 60650 that came out in July, the phones must be updating automatically.
    The person you talked to is thinking of the 60613 PRL update. There was a 60614 update in September. The 60650 update was released just a few weeks ago.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    My prl is 60650 as well.. however, i have called sprint customer service several times in the last few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I can find no record or mention of a 60649 PRL. I'd like to see a screenshot of that....

I'm sorry...I should have taken a screenshot first...I just updated and I'm now at 60650. I can't be the only one that had 60649...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I too had 60649 until updating manually to 60650 yesterday so you are or were not alone.
    It was more of....can a PRL effect data, which towers you get, 1x vs EVDO, etc?
    Absolutely. Where e vacation whe have had EVDO phones that are on 1x and stay there and ones that are on evdo and stay there.

This was really important a while back when for a short while you paid a premium for "data roaming".

I tis regional. towers agtregation from purchases, transfers, deals with other providers tend to occure regionally .

Also lots of people are on the margin of coverage and if they roam too much they get their account terminated by Sprint. Having the most up to date PRL is important for them
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Also lots of people are on the margin of coverage and if they roam too much they get their account terminated by Sprint. Having the most up to date PRL is important for them
    *VERY* few people get their account terminated for roaming from Sprint.

Sprint allows you to use up to 50% of your anytime minutes for roaming. Once you break past that, you are charged for roaming minutes just like normal.

You can add roaming minute packages so that if you use more than 50% of your minutes roaming. This is exactly what my folks had to do because they travel often to a couple areas that don't have Sprint coverage, and my mom uses her phone (she kills her 700wx's battery in half a day some days).

So if you have a 1000 minute per month plan, you can use 500 minutes of that for roaming. My folks bought a 300-500 minute roaming package on top of that.

Sprint doesn't care if you roam really, because they'll charge you for it. They do reserve the right to terminate you if you abuse that, but that's not exactly common (if it's ever happened).

Hmm...I'm not sure how roaming works exactly with the new unlimited minute packages. I know my mom was told she didn't need the roaming package anymore, so maybe Sprint's just eating the roaming costs. I'm still on a family plan with a set number of minutes, so I've never looked into it, and there were no unlimited plans when I used to work for Sprint.

/me edits

Found this from a review of Sprint's plans. It's pretty recent, about 4 months old.

Coverage - Pro

Sprint has the largest nationwide PCS (1.9 Ghz) network which covers a large percentage of the population in the United States. In comparison, the Verizon PCS network does not even cover most major roads between cities. To compensate for their geographically small network, Sprint offered unlimited roaming as an option for several years, and now includes unlimited roaming in all plans. If you use your phone mainly for voice calls, the limited Sprint network may not really matter since their roaming coverage is excellent and is included in newer plans.
    So the whole 50% thing went away. That's interesting, and good news for anyone who's concerned about roaming.
    Found this from a review of Sprint's plans. It's pretty recent, about 4 months old.
    Coverage - Pro
    Sprint has the largest nationwide PCS (1.9 Ghz) network which covers a large percentage of the population in the United States. In comparison, the Verizon PCS network does not even cover most major roads between cities. To compensate for their geographically small network, Sprint offered unlimited roaming as an option for several years, and now includes unlimited roaming in all plans. If you use your phone mainly for voice calls, the limited Sprint network may not really matter since their roaming coverage is excellent and is included in newer plans.
    So the whole 50% thing went away. That's interesting, and good news for anyone who's concerned about roaming.
    Lol, you found that on sprints site? Wow they don't even know their own plans it is totally wrong!
    Sprint doesn't care if you roam really, because they'll charge you for it. They do reserve the right to terminate you if you abuse that, but that's not exactly common (if it's ever happened).
    "if you abuse"
    You know that sounds exactly like the type of language old Sprint Reps used to have before they fired and claean out the old "customer is always wrong" reps.

If you weren't so hard on Sprint sometimes I would be sure you used to work for them for using that phrase!

It almost never is an abuse. Sprint changes roaming partners, they change policy's and billing system, they take down and add towers. they often add boatloads of customers to an area where you got formally got good service that degrades.

And on many plans they charge some customers $5 a month, or $0.69 a minute for roaming and terminate enough that it is an issue.

I don't know what "if it's ever happened" means since it is common enough that it is a complaint in a number of topics on sprintusers, etc

What has Sprint's recommendation when you start to approach enough roaming tog et terminated:
    a) For years: Make sure your PRL is always up to date
    b) More recently: keep up to date PRL and get an airave.

Updated PRL is unimportant to a lot of people, but like other issues it is seriously important to a certain group of people.

That is why on PRL issues posts you have people saying it doesnt matter and other people who know exactly why ti matters to a certain group.

It has gotten even more complicated with data, and some people getting data roaming charges. There are even other complications that can occur if you are not up to date on PRL. For example if you are on getting an 1xrtt and your handset is making a data connection on a number of handset you wont get incoming calls.
    Last edited by aero; 01/08/2009 at 11:46 AM.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lol, you found that on sprints site? Wow they don't even know their own plans it is totally wrong!
    You know, it might be helpful if you actually read what people wrote.

Found this from a review of Sprint's plans.
    Did I say it was from Sprint's site? No. See, now you just sound silly.

I did some more digging on this, and here's the scoop.

If you dig into Sprints terms and conditions, you find this:

Off-network Roaming on Sprint Phones: Not available with single-band phones, or to customers residing outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may terminate service if (1) more than 800 minutes, (2) a majority of minutes or (3) a majority of data kilobytes in a given month are used while roaming. International calling, including in Canada and Mexico, is not included in plans with no roaming charges. Roaming usage may be invoiced after 30-60 days. Data services and certain calling features (Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.) may not be available in all roaming areas.

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

Roaming
    "Roaming" typically refers to coverage on another carrier's network that we make available to you based on our agreements with other carriers. These agreements may change from time to time and roaming coverage is subject to change. Your ability to receive roaming coverage depends on the radio transmissions your Device can pick up. You can pick up roaming coverage both within and outside our network coverage areas. Your Device will generally indicate when you're roaming. Depending on your Services, separate charges or limits on the amount of minutes used while roaming may apply. Certain Services may not be available or work the same when roaming (including data Services, voicemail, call waiting, etc.).

So if you use roaming, you can get cut off (or charged) at 800 minutes or 300 MB/month.

But if you talk to eCare:

09:31:45 System
    Connected to sprint-ap2.cnxchat.com
    Session ID: 4671974
    Please hold and the next available agent will be with you shortly.
    09:31:50 System
    Hi! Thanks for waiting. Because we take your security and privacy very serious, please be prepared to provide your account PIN or password or security answer.
    Ella C has joined this session!
    Connected with Ella C
    09:31:55 Ella C
    Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Ella, How may I assist you?
    09:32:07 Ebag
    Hi Ella, I have a questionabout roaming
    09:32:29 Ebag
    what are the restrictions on roaming if you have the new simply everything unlimited plan?
    09:33:05 Ella C
    I will be happy to assist you.
    One moment please.
    09:34:55 Ella C
    Thank you for your patience, I will have that information shortly.
    09:35:30 Ebag
    no problem
    09:36:55 Ella C
    Nationwide long distance and roaming is included in the plan
    09:37:28 Ebag
    So if, for example, I was in an area for an entire month that had no sprint service, I could use as many minutes as I wanted and there would be no roaming charges?
    09:38:30 Ella C
    One moment while I check on this for you.
    09:40:25 Ella C
    Thank you for your patience.
    09:41:17 Ebag
    no problem
    09:49:50 Ella C
    Did check and it would be included with the simply everything plan you would not incur any roaming charges.
    09:50:11 Ebag
    so I can use say 1000 minutes roaming and I will not get charged?
    09:50:41 Ella C
    correct
    09:50:58 Ebag
    okay, that's what I needed to know! Thanks!

So the long and the short of it is that it's the same as when I worked for Sprint.

Sprint can cut you off or charge you, but as long as you're not excessive (IE: racking up thousands upon thousands of minutes) they aren't going to. The verbage in the T&C is your basic CYA.

/me edits

I also spoke with a friend of mine who is the general manager of the call center here. He basically said the same thing. Officially, you're done at 800 minutes, but as long as you're not abusing it they aren't going to care.

He didn't think they even had anything in place to see when someone went over the 800 minutes.
    I highly recommend upgrading to 60650, because of one major change made to the PRL's header: you cannot accidentally roam on systems not in the PRL. In Raleigh, NC for example, I've noticed that Sprint phones would accidentally pick up Kiwi PCS (a local "unlimited" carrier) when losing Sprint signal, instead of Alltel or Verizon, and sometimes required a PRI reset to be able to ever pick up Sprint again. Installing 60650 now prevented the phone from landing on Kiwi, since it is now restricted to just Verizon and Alltel for roaming partners in that area. That's the main difference between 60614->60650, along with removing all NEG entries, since they were made unnecessary by the change to disallowing systems not in the PRL (you can notice this up at the top of the QPST roaming list editor, I believe the checkbox is labeled something like "preferred systems only").

Edit: I also noticed about 10-15 more SIDs for KDDI in Japan for international roaming purposes, but I haven't investigated further.
    You know, it might be helpful if you actually read what people wrote.
    Did I say it was from Sprint's site? No. See, now you just sound silly.
    Nice troll there.

Fact: you posted false information to counter my correct information.
    The implication of anyone reading it (with your comment it was four months old) is that this is Sprints current policy when that is policy and now 100% false.

He didn't think they even had anything in place to see when someone went over the 800 minutes.
    Right that explains the threads on Sprint users where people get the notices.

Your equation of roaming with "abuse" is funny.

Hesse said Sprint was jetisoning emplyees who thought that way. Did you used to work for Spritn with the old "blame the ustomer first attidue"

Once a gain an issue tha tis

You are belittling the PRL issue for people who DO get terminated from Sprint when a PRL could help or people whos data or service is not optimal when a PRL will help. That is the point of the PRLs.

09:32:29 Ebag
    what are the restrictions on roaming if you have the new simply everything unlimited plan?
    I will be happy to assist you.
    More falsehoods. Most people do not have a simply everything plan.

Again if it does not affect you it is not an issue anyone should talk about without you saying it is unimportant.

You are making it seem like no one pays for roaming when Sprint charges probably millions of dollars poer year in roaming surcharges, or that people can't be terminated -- simply because your plan has it included?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast