Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just came across the NEW Palm website looking for some info on my 755p. The site has been completely redisgned in the past few hours. There are only three devices featured on the site now. They are the 800w (CDMA & EVDO), Centro (GSM + EDGE) and Treo Pro (3G, CDMA & EVDO). Those details are listed when you hit the compare details on the main page. But when you try to buy a Pro, it only allows you to buy an unlocked GSM. I was told a few weeks ago that Sprint would have a Pro on either the 11th or the 21st. Maybe Palm has jumped the gun?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Good scoop.
    There are a couple of people around here that will be really disappointed that the 800w was not deleted along with all the others. It seems that Palm plans to keep it around for a while.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #4  
    The support section is still under construction and you get a "Come Back Later" message. I'm just wondering about the absence of the PDAs!! I guess that will make for a BIG announcement on Thursday. Time and technology wait for no man.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Thanks...

Hope they enhance the look
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm just wondering about the absence of the PDAs!!
    Palm is done with PDAs as they said in their latest conference call

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Maybe the CDMA + EVDO & 3G is for Verizon, not Sprint? Remember Verizon had the 700w before everyone else. VZ has really been pimping their 3G network lately. Guess only time will tell.

BTW, thanks for the kudos on the WME announcement.

Maybe the CDMA + EVDO & 3G is for Verizon, not Sprint? Remember Verizon had the 700w before everyone else. VZ has really been pimping their 3G network lately. Guess only time will tell.

BTW, thanks for the kudos on the WME announcement.

Eh, it's probably Sprint, but your right...could be Verizon. And no need to thank, I can't be everywhere!

Definitely doesn't seem like Palm is ditching the 800w though...in fact it's prominently up there with the Pro.

Palm is done with PDAs as they said in their latest conference call
    How about this?

http://store.palm.com/family/index.j..._handhelds_txt
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    I should clarify (or let PIC do it instead):
    The End of the Handheld Business?
    Another analyst plainly asked when it would make sense for Palm to shut down the handheld business. Colligan replied that it continues to sell and they would push them out as long as there is still sufficient demand. However he was quite frank and stated they are not developing new ones, and as such there is an inevitable end to the product line.

Before we all go nuts this is an error.

While Palm seems to be going to release a Treo Pro, if you look at it the carrier is "Unlocked GSM". The network is "3G CDMA + EVDO".

Don't know many unlocked GSM phones that work on 3G CDMA + EVDO.

The Treo Pro also specifically says:

1 Unlocked phones can be used with many GSM-compatible carriers worldwide. (SIM Card required)
    The wording should be different if it was going to be on both CDMA and GSM.

My guess is that someone used the wrong image for the product.

So while I hope that a Treo Pro shows up soon, this very well could be a simple error and have nothing to do with a CDMA Pro (other than pure coincidence).
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Before we all go nuts this is an error.

While Palm seems to be going to release a Treo Pro, if you look at it the carrier is "Unlocked GSM". The network is "3G CDMA + EVDO".

Don't know many unlocked GSM phones that work on 3G CDMA + EVDO.

The Treo Pro also specifically says:

The wording should be different if it was going to be on both CDMA and GSM.

My guess is that someone used the wrong image for the product.

So while I hope that a Treo Pro shows up soon, this very well could be a simple error and have nothing to do with a CDMA Pro (other than pure coincidence).
    My thoughts is that they were in the process of redesigning the website, and someone made the mistake of putting it on the air, instead of keeping it in house. Also, if you try to buy a Treo Pro, it only gives you the GSM option. My guess for that is that if they were to start selling it they would steal the carrier's publicity and take away any press that carrier would get. I have been told by two different Sprint reps that the Pro will be in their stores on either the 11th or the 21st. My guess is it will be announced on the 13th, which is the first Tuesday after the big Palm announcement, and the day all the new toys usually hit the stores. I just hope they have the mystery of the cracking cases solved.

That's extremely possible. All I'm saying is that it's a contradiction on their site, and I wouldn't trust an error as "proof" of something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's extremely possible. All I'm saying is that it's a contradiction on their site, and I wouldn't trust an error as "proof" of something.
    That's a very reasonable position and certainly rings true a bit.

Still all circumstantial, that's for sure.

Just came across the NEW Palm website looking for some info on my 755p. The site has been completely redisgned in the past few hours. There are only three devices featured on the site now. They are the 800w (CDMA & EVDO), Centro (GSM + EDGE) and Treo Pro (3G, CDMA & EVDO). Those details are listed when you hit the compare details on the main page. But when you try to buy a Pro, it only allows you to buy an unlocked GSM. I was told a few weeks ago that Sprint would have a Pro on either the 11th or the 21st. Maybe Palm has jumped the gun?

Great find. Sure looks like it's coming to Sprint very soon.
    So much for nothing leaking out. Is that six different leaks?
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    There are a couple of people around here that will be really disappointed that the 800w was not deleted along with all the others. It seems that Palm plans to keep it around for a while.
    Palm has to promote the 800w it to deal with the back stock. It pretty much disappeared from most of the Sprint paid adverts some time ago. a website listing doesn't cost anything, I would expect to see an 800w listing for another year!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Palm has to promote the 800w it to deal with the back stock. It pretty much disappeared from most of the Sprint paid adverts some time ago. a website listing doesn't cost anything, I would expect to see an 800w listing for another year!
    so does that mean their is back stock of 800w? Hene if you make a claim an insurance or warranty repair you will probably be given the 800w for a while not the pro
    Quote Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
    so does that mean their is back stock of 800w? Hene if you make a claim an insurance or warranty repair you will probably be given the 800w for a while not the pro
    That is always the case.

Otherwise people would use their $50 insurance claim as an upgrade program, defrauding the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    So much for nothing leaking out. Is that six different leaks?
    Honestly, this is very circumstantial and is could be an error.

Let me re-phrase: watch how many sites re-run my story this week, usually a good litmus test for confidence. (PIC already passed).

Prediction: not one. Reason? Flimsy evidence.

Here's another error: do the same "compare" thing and under the Centro, what does it say? "GSM + EDGE". No "CDMA + EvDO". Which is not accurate. Should we read it as Palm getting rid of the Sprint/Verizon Centros? I would think not...
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/06/2009 at 10:56 AM.

That is always the case.
    Otherwise people would use their $50 insurance claim as an upgrade program, defrauding the system.
    Exactly. Unless your warranty claim is the GPS isn't working as warranted.

Regardless of New in Box inventory that Sprint or Palm has, I also think they have an absolute boatload of returns made within 30 days. With Sprint if they have below a certain threshold of used days on them, they only need the very basic checkout before being used as repalcements. The last time I picked up a spare battery in September they had a mountain of 800w returned for 30 day subjective reasons such as battery life and speaker quality. Most of those need nothing more than a basic diagnostic and an new plastic bag to be put back in the system as replacements.

Honestly, this is very circumstantial and is could be an error.
    Yes it could be. The dslreports grab could have been a hoax. I guess the WMexperts mods know though if that came from a good source or just over the transom. And the pulldown on the sprint software site is the least credible since it showed a few models sprint is unlikely to ever carry.

Now the bestbuy upcoming inventory screen grab and the leaked sprint document could be photoshop hoaxes. But those I doubt for this simple reason: there are known, well established and credible people over at sprint users who have identified as tech support people who have confirmed the dates, and others who have dismissed or denied other rumors who have not piped in on this one.

There is also the wm 6 on 6 speculation.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast