Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Sprint already has a web site for it.

I really think it's coming before summer. Aero, you've even said Sprint hypes things only when they are very near release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Yeah, Palm snuck this one up on us big time. No rumblings, no leaks, no hints, no nothing.

If Palm's already actually selling them (as implied by the "It's here" part), then there's no way that Jan's going to end before Sprint starts selling them.

If it's just pre-orders, then I'd expect Feb or March, tops.

The bad news? Palm's extremely unlikely to want to release a CDMA Pro. With very similar form factor and likely cost (albeit not a slider), it'd only take sales away from the Pre.

Palm may not have a choice on releasing the Pro in Jan (IE: contracts signed a year or more ago), but the more that we hear about the push for the Pre, and the less concrete evidence for the Pro, the worse it's looking for the Pro.

Of course we won't know for sure either way until the 25th comes and goes.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably flip a coin and go with that.
    Looks like you were wrong. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...46&postcount=8
    Nah, the Treo Pro will most likely come out as predicted--too many rumblings about it to just dismiss.

What is obvious is this: no one cares anymore about the Treo Pro--not even Palm or Sprint. Case in point: not one tech blog has run our WMExperts story on that leaked shot of the Sprint Treo Pro. That speaks volumes.

They are just going to quietly slip this out there so as to not hurt sales on the Pre, which is Palm's new bread-n-butter. Lots of people were eying the Treo Pro are now saving for the Pre--I think even I might be one of them.

The Pre already supports Exchange--it makes all other phones look boring. Lets just hear the reviews though--still need to see if it's actually any good in use.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I agree. I don't think Windows Mobile is an area they want to deal with anymore. Palm has developed an entire new OS and needs to sell that. There a several hundreds of Windows Mobile devices but they will be the first with webOS. There investors are more interested in webOS devices rather than WM. If this one doesn't save them those investors will go elsewhere. That will be the demise of Palm. This is their home run OS and device at this time.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    During the last earnings conference call, Palm said they would continue making WM devices for the business market and webOS would be for consumers who want a device for some business use. Verbally, Palm has already affirmed they will keep doing WM and webOS for at least the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint already has a web site for it.

I really think it's coming before summer. Aero, you've even said Sprint hypes things only when they are very near release.
    Darnell. What is said is that is there normal mode. And that is a fact. Normally they do zero advertising until one or two days before an device is launched, and normally store sand reps say nothing (and known nothing) until a week before.

The Pre seems an exception, but is a replay of a small number of prior Sprint launched. An announcement this week andd elivery somewhere between March and June would be an replay not only of ATT/Apple iPhone, but in fact an exact replay of Spritn's only other "iPhone killer" pre sales hype, the Instinct.

Sprint and Palm are in deep trouble fiscally. Unlike their comeptitors who have been growing, both have been losing sales, market share and both have been rumored takeover targets by their serious market observers. Palm went through a cash crisis last month and needed an emergency injection of $100 just to keep going/. An announcement of a Treo Pro CDMA would have done no good. The criticism of Palm was not that they were not keeping up with decent windows mobile refreshes. It was that they had lost their edge, delayed a new OS for years, were devoid of serious innovation and were the vaporware experts.

So 90% of Sprints new products are kept quite until release, and 5% or 10% are given anticipatory buzz buildup with big marketing campaigns.

They ended up spending less, but Hesse announced a $200 million dollar campaign (wtf!) to promote the Instinct. That was the last buildup. Official announcements of the Instict, its specs, its name, its head to head competition with the iPhone, were made in a joint press event between Sprint and the maker (samsung) months before it was lunched.

Read the linked piece from the March 2008 official announcement of the Instinct. Sound familiar?

"With their sights clearly on the Apple iPhone, "

The rule for Sprint in fact is that new products that are meant to push the simply everything and compared to i Phone have been announced three to four months out

Could we see it in a month? sure. I think they may have high balled both the speced list price and launch window, in order to keep from getting burned. by lower the price or bringing launch forward they win.

When it comes to the Pro, a CDMA refresh of a GSM, if they bring it on January 25, and no one in a store knows about it until January 18th, and no adverts are done until January 24 through FEb 1, would be the rule as welll
    Last edited by aero; 01/10/2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Darnell, do a search for "Sprint Touch Pro" hit Condition "New" and "Completed Listings" then sort by price.

There are plenty that go for/went for well below $400. If you are paying $450, you are overpaying, imo. Pointing out exceptions isn't a bad thing--it's called bargain shopping and is the purpose of eBay--it's how I buy my coveted Nikkor lenses, I buy them below what the market wants. I mean hint-hint: buying stuff on eBay on a holiday is a smart move.

Regardless, I still don't get this idea on cheering for over-priced electronics and lamenting lower priced deals. I mean, let me get this straight: in the 800w forum, people are making fun of the fact that you get this phone for low price? This is the new criticism?

800w low price/deal = bad
    Touch Pro high price/overpaying = good

Got it. I didn't know we were in the presence of such aristocrats

My point here was to simply show that nsxprime over-estimates the prices for the Treo Pro and Touch Pro...for whatever reason. If you guys want to continue discussing "eBay technique" by all means...
    The Treo Pro sold for $435 plus shipping.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Wow! I could almost buy two brand new 800w's for that price!
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Wow! I could almost buy two brand new 800w's for that price!

One for each ear, right?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    One for each ear, right?

Hey, stereo call quality might end any complaints about the 800w's call quality .
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Should have sold it to nsxprime for $500 since that's what he would have paid

Speaking of derailing threads...lol

Back to the Sprint Treo Pro, ahem. Where art thou/Does anyone even care anymore?

Should have sold it to nsxprime for $500 since that's what he would have paid
    Speaking of derailing threads...lol
    Back to the Sprint Treo Pro, ahem. Where art thou/Does anyone even care anymore?
    Shall we have a pool? I bet $0.25 we see it on the 25th.

I will up that to three (and no more than three) drubbings, by linking and quoting this claim, in any unrelated discussion, to shame me.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Hey, stereo call quality might end any complaints about the 800w's call quality .
    Static in both ears instead of one? LOL

I'm just so glad to see the Treo Pro almost here and I'm very glad to see that Sprint quickly learned from its mistake with the 800w. They could have tried to keep it around and continued to lose money on it due to the massive returns and numerous bugs that needed to be fixed, but they didn't. They killed it incredibly quickly (possibly a record) and pushed Palm to ready the superior Treo Pro.

Sure they could have recognized the 800w was a total failure like Verizon did and decided not to waste their time with it in the first place, but their speedy actions after the fact are still encouraging.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Shall we have a pool? I bet $0.25 we see it on the 25th.

I will up that to three (and no more than three) drubbings, by linking and quoting this claim, in any unrelated discussion, to shame me.
    I don't think I've ever doubted the release date, though I have raised some oddities with this release. I'm just skeptical as there has been a severe lack of hard evidence.

Like I said earlier, by this point we should know a lot more about this phone than we do now--at least a spec sheet. It has to be getting ready to enter the warehouses, begin flashed with the finalized ROM, promotional materials, user guides, etc. In other words, lots of joe-schmos have had to have seen it by now. I also don't buy this "no one wants to get fired" line as that has never stopped anyone before, why now?

And why not even a press release announcing the phone at CES? If I were an investor, i would want to see the floundering Treo Pro finally get announced on a major carrier (and not just business channels). Why pass up all that free media coverage? "Palm pushes out another phone" would be a good headline.

If this gets released on the 25th, the only explanation for so few leaks (for an HTC device?!) would be so little interest from everyone--Sprint, Palm and evidently now, customers.

btw, EngadgetMobile finally ran the story/pic today (buried in Sunday news, forgotten by Monday). Most of the comments are pretty consistent with elsewhere: with the Pre around the corner, who would buy this?

So my bet: it will be released but it won't sell jack and no one will pay much attention. Too old, too late.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/11/2009 at 12:56 PM.

...I'm very glad to see that Sprint quickly learned from its mistake with the 800w. They could have tried to keep it around and continued to lose money on it due to the massive returns and numerous bugs that needed to be fixed, but they didn't. They killed it incredibly quickly (possibly a record) and pushed Palm to ready the superior Treo Pro.
    Speculating without evidence can be a dangerous thing.

The FCC docs for the CDMA Treo Pro have been uncovered and what they say is interesting:

The Treo Pro was submitted to the FCC on Sept 11/12th for testing.

That means just weeks after the 800w was released, the CDMA version of the Pro was not only finished, but ready for the FCC. Ipso facto, Sprint Treo Pro was in the works well before the Treo 800w was even released.

That does not bode well for your conjecture that Sprint "killed" the 800w, "...pushed Palm to ready the...Treo pro" or that Sprint "....quickly learned from its mistake." (Why do you never cite sources btw?)

What it does look like is what we already know: the 800w was delayed from late 2007 and the Treo Pro was its replacement all along. Sprint knew about and decided to release both devices, with the 800w's run being a short, temporary one.

Due to delays on releasing the 800w, this hardware refresh now looks premature, but in fact was planned a long time ago.

That puts and end to that story once and for all, imo.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/11/2009 at 06:28 PM.

The bad news? Palm's extremely unlikely to want to release a CDMA Pro. With very similar form factor and likely cost (albeit not a slider), it'd only take sales away from the Pre
    I'd respectfully disagree. The Treo Pro is an enterprise / business smartphone. The built in applications and keyboard are more for the business user. The Pre is more a personal device like the iPhone. There appears to me to be more overlap with non-business smartphone junkies. I don't think enterprise users are going to be the largest single user base of the Pre. Until the Pre is proven in the enterprise setting (email, security, etc), it maybe be less attractive to enterprise users. Now some of the enterprise and non-enterprise users on this site may be all over it but I think there will be some delay between launch and broad acceptance by enterprise users as with the iPhone.

Palm may not have a choice on releasing the Pro in Jan (IE: contracts signed a year or more ago), but the more that we hear about the push for the Pre, and the less concrete evidence for the Pro, the worse it's looking for the Pro.
    You make it sound as if Palm and Sprint didn't know the Pre was coming. I'm sure they have been planning for the coexistance of both phones.
    That means just weeks after the 800w was released, the CDMA version of the Pro was not only finished, but ready for the FCC. Ipso facto, Sprint Treo Pro was in the works well before the Treo 800w was even released.
    I think your post is generally correct. 800w long delayed, next product development teams moving forward and a weirder than normal crunch. But I also thing that has been the general agreement here all along . I am not sure anyone was saying much different.

There is provably FCC testing for the next webos device ongoing or upcoming soon anyway.

I mean looking over some fcc stuff it looks like about a 4 to 5 month lead on emissions testing before most devices are actually sold.

I think it is good news for Palm that it is coming. They need an enterprise piece in that market segment. the Pre for that is complicated because of Palms own strong message, and institutional responses even with exchange present. Let's see how they advertise it and position it. There are difficulties the more thy go head to head on sex appeal of iphone, the harder it maybe to break off a chunk of rim. I think they have a device they can ptich both ways, but they will be much better positioned when they come out with a few more, eg cheap entry eg centri/instict (or it likly this could be that after a while),

You are looking at specs. products usefulness and target market are defines less by specs than marketing identity (item and brand) and target audiences in that marketing.
    Last edited by aero; 01/11/2009 at 08:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Just to add my 2 cents, this bit of info came from a Sprint Indirect marketing rep (Works for Sprint with 3dr parties like Best Buy and Radio Shack) whom is a relatively good friend... Take it as a grain of salt as he was not 100% sure this is still the plan...

The PRO will be released this month and the 800w will continue to be sold; however it will be blown out at $99 and then $49 on contract (as they did with the Touch) shortly after launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    I'd respectfully disagree. The Treo Pro is an enterprise / business smartphone. The built in applications and keyboard are more for the business user. The Pre is more a personal device like the iPhone. There appears to me to be more overlap with non-business smartphone junkies. I don't think enterprise users are going to be the largest single user base of the Pre. Until the Pre is proven in the enterprise setting (email, security, etc), it maybe be less attractive to enterprise users. Now some of the enterprise and non-enterprise users on this site may be all over it but I think there will be some delay between launch and broad acceptance by enterprise users as with the iPhone.
    I agree to a certain extent....right up to the point where the Pre can handle multiple sources for contacts, calenders, etc.

My dad (who is a longtime BB user) needs a new phone due to the city doing away with the BB server/service (to cut costs). He's been looking at the WM phones, but hasn't been happy with them due to the complexity. Garnett would be another option, but it doesn't really do what he needs it to.

When I told him about the contact/calender/etc management of the Pre, he immediately said "That's exactly what I need." He hasn't even seen the device yet, know anything about it, or even used it, but is interested because it will allow him to manage all his contacts regardless of where they come from.

And given that more and more the lines between "business contacts" and "personal contacts" is blurring, the ability to manage both is a big deal. Currently he uses two different phones, one for business and one for personal, and hates having to carry both.

WM, BB, Palm OS, or iPhone, none of them offer the feature of the multiple management that Pre is promising.

IF that feature pulls through the way Palm is saying it's going to (and so far that's a big if), I think it's going to be a hit with the business user crowd.

Now before I knew about webOS, I would have agreed with you. Now that I know more about what webOS can do, I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by pgh1969pa View Post
    You make it sound as if Palm and Sprint didn't know the Pre was coming. I'm sure they have been planning for the coexistance of both phones.
    Sprint knew about the Pro before they released the 800w (over 6 months ago).

If timetables hold true, the three devices will be a very unusual release schedule, with around 6 months between devices. Each device will have taken sales away from the next, as customers will have upgraded and not be able to afford to move to the next one.

Perhap's this is Palm's way of saying "hey, we can release devices faster than anyone else....if we want to."

Either way, releasing not one but two competing devices less than a year before the big one that you need to stay alive is a rather unusual strategy. And while they are different OS's, the fact still remains that Palm will be cannibalizing sales from existing Palm devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROpcs View Post
    The PRO will be released this month and the 800w will continue to be sold; however it will be blown out at $99 and then $49 on contract (as they did with the Touch) shortly after launch...
    Sweet! Mrs is getting a new phone.

/me grabs a salt shaker
    Static in both ears instead of one? LOL

I'm just so glad to see the Treo Pro almost here and I'm very glad to see that Sprint quickly learned from its mistake with the 800w. They could have tried to keep it around and continued to lose money on it due to the massive returns and numerous bugs that needed to be fixed, but they didn't. They killed it incredibly quickly (possibly a record) and pushed Palm to ready the superior Treo Pro.

Sure they could have recognized the 800w was a total failure like Verizon did and decided not to waste their time with it in the first place, but their speedy actions after the fact are still encouraging.
    (This is assuming Sprint does release a Treo Pro.)
    I agree, I feel Sprint recognized they had a product with issues and moved quickly to replace it. They didn't sit around and feel the 800w was near comparable with the Treo Pro.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast