Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I think the 3rd silouette is the Treo Pro CDMA.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And Palm did not even MENTION the Sprint 850? today?! Yeesh, I mean really, they're just gonna very, very quietly roll it out there I guess.
    For one it would be off message with a do or die message agenda for Palm. I bet Edelman, and this was a skilled Edelman event ,on the floor at CES and elsewhere, would have them avoid going off message like the plague.

Edleman put together an event for the two most written off near dead players. It was coup, on presentation and substance, but focus and especially creating red hot hype were key.

From another perspective how many times as an change from GSM to CDMA of an existing handset on a specific carrier been announced at CES by the manufacturer? You know more than me, but my general impression is that they leave it to the carriers to announce a pickup by the carrier.

Hesse's cameo was there to reassure his stockholders (coming right out of the box stating: ARPU, simply everything), and to reassure Palm capitalizers and buyers that this massive do or die with the Pre has a buyer and then to get the heck off the stage. Mentioning Treo Pro would be weird.

Does Sprint even have an exhibit at CES? I just recall that a carrier adoption is usually announced by the carrier.

Maybe we will never see it but I would have been very surprised if they went off message at CES by even bringing it to the place
    Last edited by aero; 01/08/2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Speaking of stock. Palm had a huge day today with a 38% gain.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    We'll see it, I coincidentally got an email from our biz rep on PTT iden stuff today, and I replied that I want to here more about the Pre when they can talk. She replied with:
    [qoute]We are very excited about this device also and as soon as it is available, you will hear from us...
    ...With our Simply Everything and Economic Stimulus Plans, our Nextel Direct Connect plans and new NDC devices, our new Treo Pro by Palm and most important, our 3G/4G dual modem, we are looking forward to a great 1st Quarter in 2009.[/quote]
    A lot of people are confusing the Treo Pro with the Treo Pre.

Not saying that Sprint isn't getting it, but it's just like a few months back when some people thought the Treo Pro was being released, when the reps were getting it confused with the Touch Pro.

If you want to be a little more sure, you could ask her what operating system it is using. If it's WM, it's more likely that it's really the Treo Pro (though not 100% as I've had people tell me that the BB Storm was using WM, because it has a touch screen).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    A lot of people are confusing the Treo Pro with the Treo Pre.

Not saying that Sprint isn't getting it, but it's just like a few months back when some people thought the Treo Pro was being released, when the reps were getting it confused with the Touch Pro.

If you want to be a little more sure, you could ask her what operating system it is using. If it's WM, it's more likely that it's really the Treo Pro (though not 100% as I've had people tell me that the BB Storm was using WM, because it has a touch screen).
    You really think that the Treo Pre is being released in two weeks? It isn't. That's the Treo Pro. The Treo Pre is still a couple of months away.
    There is no "Treo Pre" . Seeing you guys say "Treo Pre" is kind of funny.

There is the Palm Pre, really just "Pre" and there is the "Treo Pro".
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    There is no "Treo Pre" . Seeing you guys say "Treo Pre" is kind of funny.

There is the Palm Pre, really just "Pre" and there is the "Treo Pro".
    True.

Palm and Treo have been interchangeable terms for a long time now though, at least to your average person.

Still doesn't mean someone can't confuse a Palm Pre with a Palm Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    You really think that the Treo Pre is being released in two weeks? It isn't. That's the Treo Pro. The Treo Pre is still a couple of months away.
    Sprint's already getting fliers on it, and advertising for it. I doubt it's far off if Palm's willing to announce it at CES and Sprint is willing to advertise for it.

The fact that Sprint is getting literature for a Palm Pre (heh, almost said Treo Pre again) just strengthens the point that it's very easy for someone to confuse the two.

And two weeks? Probably not (though possible). A month is certainly very possible. I seriously doubt it's much longer than a month if Sprint is getting advertisement material for it.
    Well you said people are getting things confused .
    Well you said people are getting things confused .
    Yup. Even people who should know better.

And two weeks? Probably not (though possible). A month is certainly very possible. I seriously doubt it's much longer than a month if Sprint is getting advertisement material for it.
    I already got an e-mail from Palm tonight about the Pre (Subject: It's here. The all-new Palm® Pre™ phone) and they're taking e-mails on their site for the release announcement.

So it's coming very soon.

Either Sprint is quiet about the Treo Pro because they're focusing on the Pre or Sprint releasing a Pre on the 25th instead of a Pro.
    I already got an e-mail from Palm tonight about the Pre (Subject: It's here. The all-new Palm® Pre™ phone) and they're taking e-mails on their site for the release announcement.

So it's coming very soon.

Either Sprint is quiet about the Treo Pro because they're focusing on the Pre or Sprint releasing a Pre on the 25th instead of a Pro.
    Yeah, Palm snuck this one up on us big time. No rumblings, no leaks, no hints, no nothing.

If Palm's already actually selling them (as implied by the "It's here" part), then there's no way that Jan's going to end before Sprint starts selling them.

If it's just pre-orders, then I'd expect Feb or March, tops.

The bad news? Palm's extremely unlikely to want to release a CDMA Pro. With very similar form factor and likely cost (albeit not a slider), it'd only take sales away from the Pre.

Palm may not have a choice on releasing the Pro in Jan (IE: contracts signed a year or more ago), but the more that we hear about the push for the Pre, and the less concrete evidence for the Pro, the worse it's looking for the Pro.

Of course we won't know for sure either way until the 25th comes and goes.

If I were a betting man, I'd probably flip a coin and go with that.
    Subject: It's here. The all-new Palm® Pre™ phone

The rest of what was in the e-mail is on this Palm.com web page.
    The Treo Pro is coming out toward the end of January. The local Sprint reps are getting training materials and the area Sprint rep is carrying one and showing it to the Sprint reps in the stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    The Treo Pro is coming out toward the end of January. The local Sprint reps are getting training materials and the area Sprint rep is carrying one and showing it to the Sprint reps in the stores.
    I had read somewhere else that they were getting Pre literature, not Pro.

*shrug*
    In the keynote, it mentioned they were waiting on "approval", I assume that means FCC approval. And I can't imagine that they would ramp up large scale production until approval is final, even if it's just a formality, because of the implications if something came up during the process.

I also don't understand why they would state something as vague as "1st half of '09" if they were ready to ship. My bet is you won't see anything for a couple of months either.
    Yeah I don't expect the pre to be available before summer. I think they still have a lot of final touches to work out. For example none of the phone features were shown in the keynote or gps. I'm sure Sprint's sw isn't ready for it yet either.
    I also doubt the pre would be available before summer.

Beta test and engineering tests of a GSM to CDMA of the same phone could be done much quicker then all new hardware, never mind a new hardware and brand new OS. If this were coming out in a month a hundred sprint employees alone would have to have had some training on this spanking new OS no one has used. To deal with the Treo Pro CDMA you need to edit about 0.1% of the language int eh docs from the 800w.

For starters what does Sprint needs to convert the 800w support docs to much better received, better hardware and Treo Pro docs? Just the delete key for the following:
    • - Yes, well it is "kinda, sorta, maybe standalone if you accept our unique definition",
    • - I see you are a very good customer and yes the battery blows, let get you a complimentary spare battery
    • - I am sorry about the voice quality
    • - I see you are in 30 days, let me get you a Touch Pro, there are way less returns
    • - Yes, you can only use the proprietary headset made only by palm and only for this model. Let me order you up one for that exorbitant price.
    • - Hushed whisper, Google and QPST may solve that. Good luck.

Also would you risk your job, your developer rights, and civil suit to leak the non hot news of a GSM to CDMA carryover that is going to look almost identical if not identical and have the same features between the Pro GSM and the Pro CDMA? Risk the guiloteen and a civil suit for a million bucks ot show a pic of the same Treo Pro with a sprtint logo on it?

The Pre will take much much longer, would have been and still is red hot news. People enjoy anonymous leaking and that would be a coup. I really don't see 300 people having seen this, used it tested it for six months and nothing coming out. You don't have to tell a WM developer a thing for the Treo Pro CDMA. Its Beta could be very quick and limited numbers.

Also Sprint and Palm are desperate for capital from investors. They would never say late q209 (this means June) if they could bring it earlier. They need lucre and now.

Still doesn't mean someone can't confuse a Palm Pre with a Palm Treo Pro..
    Before we jump on ebagg for that, I think his point is accurate on confusion with the touch pro. I have personally had a dozen sprint people I queried, including techs mix the Treo Pro and Touch Pro up -- even in writing.

The bad news? Palm's extremely unlikely to want to release a CDMA Pro. With very similar form factor and likely cost (albeit not a slider), it'd only take sales away from the Pre.
    That I seriously doubt that would be a reason. Sprint holding one product off, especially a Treo Pro with much better professional and user reviews than an 800w, and very little OS and hardware risk, almost nil increased tech support costs (actually a reduction) while waiting for a product marketed to the fat middle six month out instead of top enterprise on an OS with millions of current users? I don't think so.
    Last edited by aero; 01/09/2009 at 06:52 AM.
    Has Palm EVER started taking e-mails for an announcement 6 months before device release? Usually when they start taking e-mails for an announcement, the device comes not long after. Certainly will be release BEFORE the summer. Palm said it's coming "soon" on their own web site. No way it's summer.
    I say summer because that is what Palm and Sprint say.

Sprints email list is a direct vote on the quarterly bonus for the PRPRPR $People$ $who$ $want$ $to$ $show$ $success$ $of$ $the$ $presentation$. $Also$ $Sprint$ $and$ $palm$ $will$ $use$ $the$ $shown$ $interest$ $to$ $raise$ $cash$. $I$'$ve$ $been$ $on$ $scores$ $of$ $such$ $lists$ $for$ $products$ $that$ $never$ $show$ $or$ $show$ $a$ $year$ $later$! $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $it$ $it$ $has$ $anything$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $release$ $date$.

RElease target date annoucned: q209, read May June

Factors toward earlier relese:
    - loss of buzz
    - need to start selling and get cash (palm and Sprint)
    - get a jump on new competing products that could trump

Factors toward later release:
    - The industry's established history of delays, Palms own particular history
    - The reliance on third parties such as facebook for unfinished apps
    - very recent cuts in workforce at Palm

I will be surprised but not very surprised if it is in March, and the same if it is July. I think June is a good geus because that is implication of the released info.

But I really have no idea and even Palm and Sprint don't know at this point.

now where is that treo pro this thread promises me!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast