Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I am most likely going to have to replace my 800w with a new one this week. Over the past few days, the hardware menu buttons at the bottom of the screen has developed serious problems. The right button has gotten overly soft, and seems to depress by itself. Pressing the left button seems to more often than not activate the right side menu choice. Even pressing the OK button at times activates the right side menu button above it. It is obvious that something is not right inside the device. I have the insurance policy, and I don't see how I can live with this problem, so I will be getting a replacement 800w. Thing is, I have never done a hard reset on my phone, so I have never had to do a full restore. I have used Sprite Backup on a regular basis, backing up to my 8gig card, but I am concerned that there will be some unanticipated issue that will cause problems when I do a restore on a new phone. Has anyone any advice or help for this? Anything I should be aware of that might cause issues? I do have 2 email accounts, my work email which does Exchange OTA, and Gmail, which uses IMAP. I do remember something here talking about email issues with a full restore. I also would be interested in knowing how this will affect my syncing with my laptop. Will the laptop see the new phone as a new device, or, once I do the restore, will it see it as the old phone? Any and all help or advice is welcome. Thanks so much.
    You shouldn't have any problems except with software that is device-specific like TomTom which will force you to re-register. I had no issues restoring from a backup on a new device.

As long as you are sticking with the 800 you should be fine.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    I recently just had my 800w replaced due to a broken charger port. I actually used that opportunity to decide what I really needed and didn't need, so the only thing that I restored were my personal DBs (mainly contacts) and then reinstalled everything else (plus registry tweaks that I've learned here). That being said, there shouldn't be a problem, but I did read somewhere that you should probably uncheck your email when restoring, as there could be a problem re-creating your email accounts.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replys. I think I read the same thing about email. Anyone else have any information about that?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Just a note for anyone else in this situation. My replacement phone arrived at the store and I went down to get it. I had my full Sprite backup on my card. The tech setup the new phone and while I was still there, I restored my backup. My Exchange email account worked perfectly, and almost immediately began to sync. My Gmail account, which is IMAP, however, was not happy. First, the home page plugin said I had 10 new emails. When I clicked on that thought, there was no Gmail account to be seen. It seems there is indeed problems in restoring IMAP or POP3 email accounts. From what i had read, I did not even bother to try to fix the problem with the account on the new phone. I asked the tech to give me the old phone back for a minute, put the battery back in it, and deleted my Gmail account on it. I then took another full backup. After that, I hard reset my new phone and restored the new backup. I had no problem once I got back to my office re-entering what was needed for the Gmail account. So, just a word of advice for anyone who finds themselves having to replace their phone. Deleting IMAP/POP3 email accounts on your old phone before backing up will probably be a lot easier than dealing with email configuration issues and duplication that will result from restoring them.
    You probably just could have deleted the gMail account on the new phone, and recreated.

Good info tho.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    That is part of the problem. POutlook didn't seem to think there was a Gmail account. While the today screen plugin showed a new message count for Gmail, Poutlook did not list a Gmail account. As far as I could see, the only way I could delete that account was to find the registry entries for it, and I did not want to play around with that.