Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Oh Palm has no intention to license this...none. This is their's and that's it.

It's a good thing for them to want to control the hardware and software--it's what has made RIM, the iPhone and even earlier Treos. Microsoft's plan sounds good, but look at the headline today on WMExperts: Expect fewer WM phones.

No surprise, MS is cutting back on licenses and making the standards tougher. It's pretty embarrassing when a company of 1,000 people who people from every walk of life had written off, outshines you at CES in the mobile industry. Heck, I've heard some not so flattering WM7 things too...basically like "don't get your hopes up".

HTC will do fine financially, but WM is an odd thing for them, right? They can only "touch it up" so much with TF3d but they can never change the core of it. Besides putting a pretty cover on WM all they can do is get into "spec wars" (which does work to a certain extent) and keep throwing out somewhat dubious hardware tweaks.

True, Palm does have very little margin of error here, but damn...Rubenstein has shown he can come this far and has earned my confidence.

Also, I've heard this: 2 more Palm devices are in the works already--the speed of their release will depend on how much/fast developers embrace their platform and expect that highspeed GSM version around Q3.
    If I jump on the WebOS bandwagon, which today I think I will, I would prefer to see fewer WebOS phones with constrained specs. One problem with WinMo is that you never know if an application is going to work on your phone, and developer keep having to update their software every time a new WinMo phone comes out. Palm can be in step with Apple by keeping the hardware specs constrained (i.e. screen size, input methods, etc.). That way, just about every WebOS app will work on just about every WebOS phone.

One problem I can see is the lack of a MicroSD slot. If I buy an 8GB Pre and a month later a 32GB Pre comes out, I'll be very discouraged. OTOH, if they partner with a service like Napster or Orb and the battery lasts for days, then I guess I wouldn't care.
    Oh Palm has no intention to license this...none. This is their's and that's it.
    I was merely speculating on the various market tensions. I wold doubt it too. You know much moee about that then I. I was using it to illustrate what the competitors os/hadware makers face.

No surprise, MS is cutting back on licenses and making the standards tougher. It's pretty embarrassing when a company of 1,000 people who people from every walk of life had written off, outshines you at CES in the mobile industry.
    Agreed

HTC will do fine financially, but WM is an odd thing for them, right? They can only "touch it up" so much with TF3d but they can never change the core of it. Besides putting a pretty cover on WM all they can do is get into "spec wars" (which does work to a certain extent) and keep throwing out somewhat dubious hardware tweaks.
    yea, and the problem is although Android is very different in many ways, there will be a direct comparison between it and web os among buyers and current Android won't win.

Also, I've heard this: 2 more Palm devices are in the works already--the speed of their release will depend on how much/fast developers embrace their platform and expect that highspeed GSM version around Q3.
    yeah they got to give Sprint a cheap entry to replace the entry level centro/instinct and still drive people toward data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    One problem I can see is the lack of a MicroSD slot. If I buy an 8GB Pre and a month later a 32GB Pre comes out, I'll be very discouraged. OTOH, if they partner with a service like Napster or Orb and the battery lasts for days, then I guess I wouldn't care.
    I winced at that given the swipe at apple for the non removable battery
    I didn't realize it didn't have one. It's so expected I didn't notice till Rhody mentioned it. Even if I wanted a Palm Pre, that would be a DEAL BREAKER. No way I'm buying anything that does not have one.

I've got 8GB maxed out already and waiting for 16GB class 6 MicroSDHC.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I feel that a lack of a sd card slot is a big, big mistake for Palm, one that may come back and haunt them.
    Even though I'm stroking my new Touch Pro, I'm gonna hang around and watch just so I can say I told you so in the next 9 months or so...
    A friend of mine was right. He said Palm had better focus on marketing their OS for other devices and other work relating to webOS. Because they simply are showing they can't make it in the device wars any longer.

On the Palm earnings conference call, when I heard someone ask when Palm would totally abondon making devices I was kind of shocked by the question. But not any longer, Palm needs to focus on getting others to use webOS and marketing it, because if Palm stakes their survival on the Pre, I don't think it's going to be pretty. I know device sales are their big revenue stream, but this is not looking good at all.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    A friend of mine was right. He said Palm had better focus on marketing their OS for other devices and other work relating to webOS. Because they simply are showing they can't make it in the device wars any longer.

On the Palm earnings conference call, when I heard someone ask when Palm would totally abondon making devices I was kind of shocked by the question. But not any longer, Palm needs to focus on getting others to use webOS and marketing it, because if Palm stakes their survival on the Pre, I don't think it's going to be pretty. I know device sales are their big revenue stream, but this is not looking good at all.
    I think you're overreacting based on a handful of geeks on a message board. The Pre targeted to the masses, of which very, very few will fill up 8GB with content or want to run a 5-year-old PalmOS application. This thing will sell big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I think you're overreacting based on a handful of geeks on a message board. The Pre targeted to the masses, of which very, very few will fill up 8GB with content or want to run a 5-year-old PalmOS application. This thing will sell big time.
    The masses still want another IPhone. Apple didn't make the Pre, so many won't think about the Pre based off that alone.

I'm just going to say it won't sell well enough to save Palm and from here I'll leave it to see what happens and accept whether I'm right or wrong with my prediction in the future.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123