Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    Well, after the 700p and 800w fiasco I was done with Palm and this just seals it for me. I think the new device is gonna flop bigtime. I'm getting a Touch Pro.
  2. #22  
    Really? Even I'm giving WM a second look after that presentation, lol. Microsoft has a LOT of catching up to do to match that sort of fluid user interface.

    TF3d is just lipstick on a pig, as that terrible expression goes.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Really? Even I'm giving WM a second look after that presentation, lol. Microsoft has a LOT of catching up to do to match that sort of fluid user interface.

    TF3d is just lipstick on a pig, as that terrible expression goes.
    x2

    Nova may seduce me away from WM. Seriously, it's got everything I ever wanted, and more.

    People cried out how good development support was for the iPhone and Android. If Palm's claims are true (and they look to be), Palm just put those to shame.


    The amazing thing is how cheap Palm's developing it. They've been spending $40k-$50k a quarter for all their development (that includes WM and Palm OS). That's downright inexpensive, and that alone speaks volumes.
  4. #24  
    What's that old saying ? Those who forget history are destined to repeat it ? Every one of their devices since the 650 has had some serious issue and their support has been virtually non-existant. I just can't justify taking another gamble on a Palm product. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
  5. #25  
    Wow, just read the transcript at cnet. Sounds really cool. Finally a big screen and a real keyboard! I may just have to take the leap when it becomes available.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    How many devices have similar or smaller LCD sizes but higher resolution while maintaining capacitive multi-touch capabilities?
    Well I understand, but I was expecting a larger screen. I was thinking it might be able to stand up against the Touch HD in resolution and size.


    Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    Well, after the 700p and 800w fiasco I was done with Palm and this just seals it for me. I think the new device is gonna flop bigtime. I'm getting a Touch Pro.
    Well I can't say the Palm Pre has me panting to return to a Palm device. I mean the Palm Pre has some great OS features, but Palm's presentation has not seemed to maintain any "over the top" buzz in circles outside of regular Palm hot spots. So I think in the general tech community, the Palm Pre and webOS are just being viewed as yet another in a full sea of devices and mobile operating systems. I'm not saying Palm's is worse, it certainly looks better in many regards, but it just does not look as if it will be a sell-out lines out the door type of seller. And I think Palm NEEDS a sell-out lines out the door type of seller to survive. So at this point I don't think Palm's going to make it as a company and I don't want to be holding a device that may lose the company behind it.

    And I wanted a bigger screen. I think the device OS is nice, but I'm not buying a Palm device which apart from the OS features and wireless charging does what many other devices already do in regards to things like WiFi, GPS and so on. I mean if the device had a built in Pico projector like the newly announced Texas Instruments Pico Player or Samsung's MBP200, that would be a usable feature I'd be very interested in.

    So risking it with Palm versus devices with the benefit of a vast user base, I'll take the latter. Because I remember how Newton owners looked when Apple killed it and if Palm dies Palm Pre owners might have the same look. And once the investment is made into a webOS device, software purchased for it won't be usable on anything else. That's a risk I'd rather take with a company on stronger footing.
  7. #27  
    I am really excited about the new Palm WebOS. I will probably buy a Pre just to play with but I have a feeling the really good hardware running Palm WebOS is yet to come. (I would actually prefer a smaller screen and non slider keyboard like the Treo Pro)

    Windows Mobile is a very powerful OS and definitely better than Garnet or Android. Its more open than Apple but its got some downsides. Its big, resource hungry, power hungry and less than 100% stable.

    If the developers port to WebOS it will be a home-run.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  8. #28  
    We've got to see WebOS in the user community before we can assume how solid it is. After the Palm Pre is in some people's hands for a few months, then we'll have a better idea.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman50 View Post
    Well, after the 700p and 800w fiasco I was done with Palm.
    x2

    I'm still holding out hope for the Pre though. The hardware and form factor appear to be better than anything else on the market.
  10. #31  
    I'm watching the G4 coverage of CES. The main announcers mentioned the Pre early on, but they didn't seem too thrilled. Then later when speaking to the lady from Pop17.com and another guy, both of those folks were HOT for the Pre. Then the female G4 announcer started warming up to the Pre too. The guy really thinks the Pre was just a neat "Powerpoint presentation", but apparently he's waiting till he can hold the Pre in his own hands.

    But when they got to the "virtual audience" ordinary folks who they selected to receive comments from. Nobody mentioned the Pre and really they didn't see anything they wanted in terms of a smart phone, but one guy said he wanted an IPhone with more memory.

    Looks like somebody already has a phone with a built in Pico player, the Samsung Show! I think a built in Pico player WILL be the new hot desired feature in time. I'm going to hold onto my Touch Pro till something new in the future comes along with a Pico player. The Samsung Show is only available in Korea and runs some unnamed proprietary OS, so I'm not even considering that.
  11. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Looks like somebody already has a phone with a built in Pico player, the Samsung Show! I think a built in Pico player WILL be the new hot desired feature in time. I'm going to hold onto my Touch Pro till something new in the future comes along with a Pico player. The Samsung Show is only available in Korea and runs some unnamed proprietary OS, so I'm not even considering that.
    I was reading about that. Lots of speculation that it's not a "real" device, but a CES one-off along the lines of "look what I can do!"

    "Now Stewart! What has mommy told you about touching phones at CES?"
  12. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I was reading about that. Lots of speculation that it's not a "real" device, but a CES one-off along the lines of "look what I can do!"

    "Now Stewart! What has mommy told you about touching phones at CES?"
    It's REAL device. Unlike the Pre, the Samsung Show was a floor display people could actually touch with their own hands.
  13. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I was reading about that. Lots of speculation that it's not a "real" device, but a CES one-off along the lines of "look what I can do!"

    "Now Stewart! What has mommy told you about touching phones at CES?"
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2317-1.htm
  14. #35  
    And.....that has....what to do with my post?
  15. #36  
    Well back to my little sidebar about smart phones with projectors .

    The Logic Bolt is the first in the USA. A CDMA model with WM is on the way! But T-Mobile gets it first.
  16. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well I understand, but I was expecting a larger screen. I was thinking it might be able to stand up against the Touch HD in resolution and size.
    You can be sure other designs and specs for other upcoming palm webos phones will be leaked before hand. I see no reasons we won't be reading about bigger screens on Palms. Also Don't forget apple is nowhere as cash strapped as Sprint or Palm and if they sense a real threat they will respond (which is the kind of competition we all want)

    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Really? Even I'm giving WM a second look after that presentation, lol. Microsoft has a LOT of catching up to do to match that sort of fluid user interface.
    Good points. But a lot of what will happen depends whether Palm will license the OS. If they don't you have a lot of very fat money rich makers like HTC who are not going to roll over. They are the fastest growing most profitable maker. They just vested large amounts in creating their own consumer brand. That is big money and motive to get microsoft cracking.

    palm has very little margin for error. they got little money for paid media adn have to rely on buzz which is notoriously fickle and has as shelf life of weeks and caries vengeful blowback liability if we see delays or significant bugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The amazing thing is how cheap Palm's developing it. They've been spending $40k-$50k a quarter for all their development (that includes WM and Palm OS). That's downright inexpensive, and that alone speaks volumes.
    Even when I disagree with you sharply I have been careful not to challenge by asking for links. I think it is all about point of view. But perhaps you could source that because after reading scores of 10Qs I kinda know my way around some of the tricks a bit. I am guessing this is an investment in the millions or tens of millions.
  17. #38  
    I think the phone looks nice, but what's the difference between this and the touch pro. I would prefer the slider style of the pro compared to the pre. Did i miss the softkeys?
  18. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_boy View Post
    I think the phone looks nice, but what's the difference between this and the touch pro. I would prefer the slider style of the pro compared to the pre. Did i miss the softkeys?
    HTC (the touch maker) will have something better than the Tocuh pro out or soon to be out by the time the Pre comes out as it slated for summer. So there are a bazzilion variables, many of which are unique to your useage and needs
  19. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Good points. But a lot of what will happen depends whether Palm will license the OS. If they don't you have a lot of very fat money rich makers like HTC who are not going to roll over. They are the fastest growing most profitable maker. They just vested large amounts in creating their own consumer brand. That is big money and motive to get microsoft cracking.
    Oh Palm has no intention to license this...none. This is their's and that's it.

    It's a good thing for them to want to control the hardware and software--it's what has made RIM, the iPhone and even earlier Treos. Microsoft's plan sounds good, but look at the headline today on WMExperts: Expect fewer WM phones.

    No surprise, MS is cutting back on licenses and making the standards tougher. It's pretty embarrassing when a company of 1,000 people who people from every walk of life had written off, outshines you at CES in the mobile industry. Heck, I've heard some not so flattering WM7 things too...basically like "don't get your hopes up".

    HTC will do fine financially, but WM is an odd thing for them, right? They can only "touch it up" so much with TF3d but they can never change the core of it. Besides putting a pretty cover on WM all they can do is get into "spec wars" (which does work to a certain extent) and keep throwing out somewhat dubious hardware tweaks.

    True, Palm does have very little margin of error here, but damn...Rubenstein has shown he can come this far and has earned my confidence.

    Also, I've heard this: 2 more Palm devices are in the works already--the speed of their release will depend on how much/fast developers embrace their platform and expect that highspeed GSM version around Q3.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions