Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The 800w, stock, seems to be somewhat quieter than many other phones. While for most of us it's acceptable, a fair number of people have expressed their desire that the volume be just a bit louder.

In this thread, a few people have tested this and have seen a small, but noticeable improvement. In my experience, I've found I'm setting my volume level to one tick below what it was previously (3 instead of 4).

Note that many of the settings that you will change below won't effect the 800w. Palm does their own thing (such as with ring tones) that these won't effect, but changing them won't hurt anything, so it's easiest just to change them all.

This is not an easy hack, so for those who aren't phone savvy, be aware that you will be using some incredibly powerful tools that can literally destroy your phone beyond repair.

That being said, if you follow the simple instructions, then you should be just fine.

This involves several tools, none of which are mine.

Tools Needed:
    • beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver
    • QPST -- As this is a Qualcomm program, I will not post or link to it here. I used QPST 2.7.264 (or QPST 2.7 version 264 as it is sometimes called) for this). (Hint: Google is your friend.)
    • Your SPC/MSL code. Since the 800w uses an MESID, the normal tools won't work for this. I simply called Sprint, selected the option for tech support, kept drilling down until I got a tech, and asked for it. I told him that I needed to do a factory (also known as an RTN) reset. He happily provided it to me. If they question you about it, you can tell them that you need to reset it and have all the instructions in front of you, you just need the MSL.
    • A normal MiniUSB sync cable.
    • Your 800w.

That's an intimidating list I know, but it's really much simpler than the list might imply.

To apply the hack:
    • Install QPST.
    • Connect your phone to your PC, make sure you have a good connection.
    • On your phone, go into the dialpad and dial ##DIAG# (##3424#).
    • Select Diag passthru. (Note: You do not need to click OK. Simple select the radio button for Diag Passthru. Clicking OK makes this window go away, but you can get back to it at any point by dialing ##DIAG#.)
    • You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver.
    • Once installed, run QPST Configuration.
    • Click Add New Port...
    • Here you will see a list of comm ports. Don't worry about most of these, the one we want is labeled USB/QC Diagnostic. If you see more than one, that's okay, just add all of them (I had two).
    • One of the comm ports will list a phone. Mine displayed SURF6800. Simply make a mental note of the comm port number for this one.
    • From the QPST tools, launch QPST Service Programming. (Warning: This is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has the capabilities to completely brick your phone, rendering it useless. If you do not know what something does, don't touch it!)
    • Make sure that your phone is selected, and click OK.
    • Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code.
    • Browse to the Sounds tab.
    • Increase the following volume options to Level 4 (as per screenshot below).
    • Browse to the Features/Alerts tab.
    • Browse to the MM Audio tab.
    • Double check that you didn't change anything you weren't supposed to!
    • Click the Write to Phone button. (Note: You may be promoted for your MSL/SPC code again.)
    • Soft reset your phone.
    • Enjoy your increased volume!
    Last edited by Ebag333; 01/01/2009 at 02:29 AM.
    Reverend Approved!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    No screenshots??

I'm giving it a try now. Thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    No screenshots??

I'm giving it a try now. Thanks.
    Screenshots of what, exactly?
    The screen shots aren't showing, Ebag333. At least not on my end either. Then again, I've done this tweak already...so I'm good.
  6.    #6  
    How 'bout now?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    How 'bout now?
    Nope.

Reminds me of that annoying Verizon guy.
  8.    #8  
    Bah, I dunno what's going on. I'm going to bed, I'll worry about it tomorrow.
    Hahaha, night.
    thanks ebag. keep em coming :-)
    Got my MSL from Sprint earlier this evening, now to hack up my phone when I get home in the morning...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Oh, here I thought I was the only one that couldn't see the screenies. If you can just list what we should change to 4 that would be great. I was going to go and do them all but decided to wait.

Thanks again!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Oh, here I thought I was the only one that couldn't see the screenies. If you can just list what we should change to 4 that would be great. I was going to go and do them all but decided to wait.

Thanks again!
    Just change all the volume settings to 4.
  14. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Have you noticed an effect with Bluetooth volume? Does it affect A2DP volume or just phone call volume?

Inquiring minds want to know...
  15.    #15  
    It definitely effects in call volumes with the speaker. It definitely does not effect ring tone or notification volume.

I don't have a BT headset, so why don't you try it out and let us know?
    I have noticed a difference in my speaker and handset volume...I could be imagining it by bluetooth seems noticably louder too. Everything was originally set at 2, just cranked it up to 4...Thanks Ebag
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    thanks again ebag, for making the 800 what it should be. ho.. and a happy new year to all
  18.    #18  
    Images updated in the first post.

They should be showing for everyone now.
    Pictures are showing now, also tested Bluetooth Headset (which I don't like things on my ear) but it has a great sound also. Thanks & Happy New Year All!
  20.    #20  
    So far we have:

Speakerphone volume
    Handset speaker volume
    Bluetooth voice volume
    Bluetooth music volume?
    MicroUSB headset?

(Can someone confirm the last two?)

Also are you seeing the same change I am, about 1 tick's worth louder (which would be about a 16% increase)?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast