Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just started poking around for a 800w to replace my 700wx.

I see that tons of people are unloading 800w Treos on Ebay and Craigslist after owning them just a few weeks.

This alarms me... is there a good reason why this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by brickphone View Post
    Just started poking around for a 800w to replace my 700wx.

I see that tons of people are unloading 800w Treos on Ebay and Craigslist after owning them just a few weeks.

This alarms me... is there a good reason why this is?
    look in this forum, if you tweak it a bit, its a GREAT phone.
    Sprint is replacing the 800 with the Treo Pro. The 800 will be gone soon plus Palm support ended 6 months ago. That is why they are cheap and plentiful on ebay and craigslist. Get something else or wait for the Pro.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    bunch o' haters
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Sprint is replacing the 800 with the Treo Pro. The 800 will be gone soon plus Palm support ended 6 months ago. That is why they are cheap and plentiful on ebay and craigslist. Get something else or wait for the Pro.
    Whoa! Thanks! I had no idea - just been humping around my brickphone all this time and only recently started thinking of upgrading.

The Treo Pro looks rad! I'll wait for that badboy!

(so glad I posted here!)
    just remind him not to be in the rain with all the cracking that the pro has :-), and to get smaller fingers so he can actually use the keyboard
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 12/30/2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    just remind him not to be in the rain with all the cracking that the pro has :-), and to get smaller fingers so he can actually use the keyboard
    So because I have a Touch Pro my post above was a dis on the 800? If you read it again, it is the truth and the OP found it informative. I've had 3 800's you don't want to go down that road with me.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by brickphone View Post
    Whoa! Thanks! I had no idea - just been humping around my brickphone all this time and only recently started thinking of upgrading.

The Treo Pro looks rad! I'll wait for that badboy!

(so glad I posted here!)
    Wise choice.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So because I have a Touch Pro my post above was a dis on the 800? If you read it again, it is the truth and the OP found it informative. I've had 3 800's you don't want to go down that road with me.
    I used to be an HTC Mogul user. Ever since I switched away from it, I quit hitting all the Mogul forums (SprintMogul.net, etc.): they no longer mean anything to me. Why would the former user of any particular phone continue to visit sites or forums specifically about that phone -- and continue to comment, too? What reason would there be, since none of it any longer applies to that person? (And I seriously doubt noble and pure altruism is the reason.)

Seems obsessive/stalker-ish.

Randal
    Let me get this straight....

The Treo 800w was released on July 12th of 2008. It is now December 31st of 2008, and Palm's support of the Treo 800w ended 6 months ago?

VibrantRed...we all realize that despite your protestations to the contrary, you are one of the biggest haters of the 800 on the forum - but c'mon...Palm only supported the 800w for days? Hours?

Give

it

a

rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The Treo 800w was released on July 12th of 2008. It is now December 31st of 2008, and Palm's support of the Treo 800w ended 6 months ago?
    Treo 800w Voice Dialing Over Bluetooth (Released July 28, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Wow, I just peeked inside the cab and this was no small feat by Palm. No way this was done in a few weeks. It's a major overhaul of the wav driver, bluetooth audio gateway and volume service.
    Treo 800w USB and Battery Charging Update (Released August 27, 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Let me get this straight....

VibrantRed...we all realize that despite your protestations to the contrary, you are one of the biggest haters of the 800 on the forum - but c'mon...Palm only supported the 800w for days? Hours?

Give

it

a

rest.
    You are right, my mistake. Support ended for the 800 four months ago (ebag posted the support above). I don't hate the 800, never said I did. In fact I purchased a 3rd device not too long ago. I am a Palm fan.

Don't blame me that Palm is replacing the 800 with the Treo Pro and won't support the 800. Take that up with Palm or Sprint. The OP has the right to know the truth regardless of my feeling towards a device.

Support ended for the 800 four months ago (ebag posted the support above).
    Let's get something straight here, the bluetooth patch is the sort of patch that you'd normally see 3-6 months after the device release.

It's along the lines of the patch for the Mogul enabling GPS and Rev. A (and in some ways more complex). (To put this in comparison, the Mogul was released Sept 2007, the GPS/Rev. A patch was released March 2008, 6 months later.)

It was a huge patch with a lot of work behind it, and had Palm not intended to continue to support the 800w, I believe that there's no way that they would have released something of that size. With a more normal release schedule, we should be seeing that patch right about now, but Palm chose to sink some $$$ into the 800w to get that patch out just weeks after the device release.

Don't blame me that Palm is replacing the 800 with the Treo Pro and won't support the 800. Take that up with Palm or Sprint. The OP has the right to know the truth regardless of my feeling towards a device.
    Yes, the OP has the right to know the truth.

And the truth is that Palm is not replacing the 800w with the Pro.

Sprint will be carrying the Pro, but that does not automatically mean that it will drop the 800w, any more than when they picked up the 700wx it did not mean that they were dropping their Palm OS phones (despite many rumors to that effect), or that when they picked up the Centro they dropped the 750p.

The 800w will appeal more to business users, while the Pro will appeal more towards consumers. Sprint may choose to use that to leverage both sides of the market.

The truth is that we just don't know what's going to happen.

The truth is that we don't even know 100% for sure that Sprint will even carry the Pro yet (yes, it seems highly likely, but until Sprint actually puts it up on their site, it's still just a rumor).

The truth is that we are all just guessing as far as the future of the Pro and 800w are concerned, and all these threads full of conjecture are rather silly.

Not to mention the fact that even if Sprint drops the 800w that doesn't make it a bad phone. It's actually a great phone with a pretty small bug list (that seems to be shrinking weekly thanks to folks like Malatesta who are actually working on improving it). The 700wx is no longer actively sold by Sprint, yet it's a phone I often recommend to people who want a smartphone that's incredibly stable and offers lots of features (and it's still selling for a respectable amount on eBay and Craigslist!).

Heck, I've been looking for another 800w to upgrade the Mrs to (or to play around with ROM wise), and I still can't find one for less than what I paid for mine. Considering I didn't get an uber special deal, the premium price that people are asking for their 800w's (and getting!) says volumes.
    Why would Sprint consider dumping the 800w if it's such a great phone? Since they sell for well under $200 used, it appears that end users are dumping them too. Heck, brand new ones sell for $225 shipped which is less than any comparable pdaphones by a long shot.

If someone wants a cheap, throwaway pdaphone, I still recommend the 800w. They cost next to nothing and are usually sufficient for beginners who don't need a lot of processing power, battery life, application compatibility or standalone GPS.
    VibrantRedGT, I'm not sure when you decided to start spreading this completely unfounded "Palm won't support the 800w" meme but it's getting really old and tedious. There is no evidence for it. The 800w has had more "support" from Palm than the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Why would Sprint consider ....<insert made up misinformation>
    These debate threads are getting really tiring. Can't those who don't like this phone (and don't even have one), move on? Those who like it, stay around and discuss?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/31/2008 at 12:04 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Why would Sprint consider dumping the 800w if it's such a great phone? Since they sell for well under $200 used, it appears that end users are dumping them too. Heck, brand new ones sell for $225 shipped which is less than any comparable pdaphones by a long shot.

If someone wants a cheap, throwaway pdaphone, I still recommend the 800w. They cost next to nothing and are usually sufficient for beginners who don't need a lot of processing power, battery life, application compatibility or standalone GPS.
    Simply put, cost.

But then again, you already knew this since Malatesta has posted many reasons as to why Sprint might be moving from the Pro to the 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Like everyone else here your making a lot of assumptions based on assumptions. You're trying to rationalize and convince yourself without any actual data, input or statements from any company.

Especially odd is your notion of not seeing "Palm to continue to manufacture and spend resources on a phone no other carrier carries..."

The 800w has already been developed and rolled out--there's no more cost to that now, so that doesn't really make any sense.. Palm doesn't make any phones--never have. So all they need to do is continue to pay Inventec to make it. Just like they pay HTC to make the Treo Pro.

As far as spending resources, this is pretty true as Palm has said as much. They've basically farmed out all of WM development. The Treo 800w is the last true "Palm Treo" (developed and designed by them) as everything from now on from them is just re-branded devices with basically zero Palm input.

But honestly there are tons of "here's why..." stories and none of them are any more or any less valid than someone else's.

For example:
    • Palm/Sprint always planned on rolling out the Treo Pro but they did not want to wait till 2009 for a Rev A, Wifi, GPS Treo with WM6.1
    • Palm doesn't want to do business with Inventec
    • Palm wants to keep HTC-branded devices out of the front qwerty market
    • Profit margins are higher with the Treo Pro
    • Production problems with Invnetec
    • Sprint prefers the Treo Pro to the 800w
    • Palm has devoted all resources to "Nova" and wants to downgrade their WM phones

These are all plausible and yet have as much or as little evidence as any other guess. So this is all just conjecture with little way to validate.

<snip>

I mean, I know people here at TC want drama and conspiracy ("I hear Sprint hates the 800w!" "I heard that returns are through the roof!"), but if you just look at what Palm has said, this was always the plan. Proof? Watch if you see any more WM Treo designed by Palm--they're all gonna be re-branded devices with none of Palm's tweaks an optimizations. Those days are over.

Heck, brand new ones sell for $225 shipped which is less than any comparable pdaphones by a long shot.
    Directly from Sprint's site:

New Phone & Plan Pricing
    Regular price $599.99
    Instant savings -$250.00
    Mail-in Rebate -$100.00
    New price $249.99
    Requires 2-yr Agreement
    Not to mention that pricing is with a 2 year agreement, which for many people is not an option. The new price is actually $399.99, which is why people are selling their 800w's for $300 to $350 and getting that price.

Out of idle curiosity--and looking for a deal on an 800w--I have contacted people on Craigslist who had 800w's for sale. They're regularly getting over $200 for beat 800w's, and up to $300-350 for ones in good shape. Heck, I've seen some with bad ESN's going for over $250.

I wish the 800w was selling for $225 new from Sprint (no, eBay doesn't count). If it was, I'd have one for the Mrs and a third for playing with ROM's by now.

And "less than any comparable pdaphones by a long shot"?

The 800w is the second most expensive smartphone on Sprint's site. It's second only to the Touch Pro at $299.99.

Last edited by Ebag333; 12/31/2008 at 12:27 PM.
    I did not start a rumor about Sprint not supporting the 800. Since patches and fixes are 4 months old Palm simply has given up on this device. Their own statement provided by Sprint is they are replacing the device with the Treo Pro. I know you guys are very touchy and need to have everything sugar coated but the 800 is done. Do you really think Palm can afford to put time and money into the 800 knowing it will be replaced? If so you're just nieve. Again don't blame me I didn't do it. It sucks Sprint after 6 months is dropping the 800. Take it up with your Congressman. Whether they continue to keep selling after January is unclear. I guess we will find out. You guys totally trashed this poor thread for no reason. He asked why people were selling so many for cheap. I gave him a non sugar coated answer. Never said anything bad about the 800. The Treo Pro is replacing the 800, plain and simple. He deserved to know this information.

Ebag, I beleive the point above is that you can buy an 800 brand new for under $249.99 shipped. No need to sign a 2 year contract. We all can read the Sprint website. People would really be uninformed if they bought a new 800 through Sprint at this time with their 2 year eligibility rebate. That would be a waste.

I did not start a rumor about Sprint not supporting the 800. Since patches and fixes are 4 months old Palm simply has given up on this device.
    Yes. you (and other) did.

4 months without an update is not unusual. The Mogul didn't get an update for 6 months. It was nearly a year before they saw a ROM update.

Most phones don't see an update for 3-6 months. We've already seen two updates (one of which was simply huge)in the first few months.

Lets see now, what company supports their phones better, a company that waits 6 months before the first update or the company that waits 6 weeks?

Their own statement provided by Sprint is they are replacing the device with the Treo Pro.
    Then it should be easy for you to provide a statement by Palm that shows this.

But since Malatesta has already asked for this several times without any response, looks like you can't. Which means that, yes, you are just starting and spreading rumors.
    You can write that they have supported the 800 faster than anyone ever. Supporting the device as of today and in the future is over. All their eggs are in the Treo Pro basket. Plus next month they are revealing a new OS. You think they are going to spend resources on the 800? Palm needs a miracle not patching a dead device.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast