Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    I finally got fed up and dumped my 800w and went back to the 755p. Too many missed calls was the big reason. There is a lot of promise in the 800w but I need reliability and I just don't see it with that phone. I also don't see any urgency on either Sprint/Nextel or Palm's plans to address this. When I was in the local store last week (again!) I was told by the rep that Sprint would be releasing the Treo Pro on either the 11th or the 21st of January! That will most likely be their premier Windows platform and the 800w will slowly sink into the sunset. I wanted to stay with the Windows mobile platform but I need reliability, and the 800w is anything but.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I finally got fed up and dumped my 800w and went back to the 755p. Too many missed calls was the big reason. There is a lot of promise in the 800w but I need reliability and I just don't see it with that phone. I also don't see any urgency on either Sprint/Nextel or Palm's plans to address this. When I was in the local store last week (again!) I was told by the rep that Sprint would be releasing the Treo Pro on either the 11th or the 21st of January! That will most likely be their premier Windows platform and the 800w will slowly sink into the sunset. I wanted to stay with the Windows mobile platform but I need reliability, and the 800w is anything but.


    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963
    this solved the missed calls problem
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Too many missed calls was the big reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963
    this solved the missed calls problem
    Did you try that?

    And what are you doing with your 800w. You could always donate it to me.
  4. #4  
    Great that it solves the problem, but why the heck would anyone need to do all that to solve a missed calls problem? I don't blame the guy for dumping it.

    I wanted to like WM too as they're are a few phones that look nice out there with that OS on it. Just feels like a second rate palm OS that merely has the ability to handle wifi, gps, and multitasking. JMO.

    I hope Nova is the answer for palm. And that WM gets a healthy upgrade.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963
    this solved the missed calls problem
    No it doesn't.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No it doesn't.
    i should say:
    this solved MY missed calls problem...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Great that it solves the problem, but why the heck would anyone need to do all that to solve a missed calls problem? I don't blame the guy for dumping it.
    Every phone out there has some sort of issue.

    The (non-Sprint) Touch Pro's and Diamonds have GPS lag issues. The Treo Pro has cracking issues. All of those have issues being sluggish, especially if ClearType or TouchFlo is enabled.

    I've yet to find a phone without a single issue. If you can point a phone out to me that doesn't have a single issue straight from the manufacturer, I'd be much obliged.

    Fortunately the fix in this case is quite easy to do. It takes about 5 minutes (or less) of your time, and is permanent unless you do a factory reset (RTN reset).


    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    No it doesn't.
    Yes, it does. Several people have said it has helped with the issue.

    It may not help with all circumstances, but there can be issues with the tower side. (I went through exactly that when Sprint was upgrading the towers here, on both my 700wx and 800w. Same symptoms, thought it was the 800w, but I switched back to the 700wx and noticed the same problem, talked to several other people with other phones, they all had the same issue. After Sprint was done upgrading, it went away.)
  8. #8  
    oh good, another debate thread.
  9.    #9  
    My decision to dump the 800w was not a spur of the moment choice. I had asked about this issue in the past month or so, not just here but on the Sprint Users website as well. The over whelming opinions were that this was a design flaw in the software. I've used a variety of Treo's in the past (600, 650, 700w, 700wx, 755p, and 680) on a variety of carriers, and each have had their little idiosyncracies. (I actually was hunting for a Sprint 700wx, but couldn't find one.) But all of them at least rang when I had an incoming call. This is the first one that hasn't. If I had known about this hack I might have tried it. But I still contend that a device should work as intended out of the box, without any need for workarounds or such.


    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174963
    this solved the missed calls problem
    I would question this solution. I never had a problem with missed text messages or voice mails. In fact, that was how I would know I missed a call. I would get a notice that I had a new voice mail from a call that I had just not received, even when I'm waiting with phone in hand expecting a call from someone I had just paged. Very frustrating! Text messages came through with no problems. Only incoming phone calls.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    (I actually was hunting for a Sprint 700wx, but couldn't find one.)
    Wanna swap a 700wx for your 800w? I'll put any custom ROM you want on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I would question this solution. I never had a problem with missed text messages or voice mails. In fact, that was how I would know I missed a call. I would get a notice that I had a new voice mail from a call that I had just not received, even when I'm waiting with phone in hand expecting a call from someone I had just paged. Very frustrating! Text messages came through with no problems. Only incoming phone calls.
    Text messages and voicemails don't work quite the same.

    If you missed a call, and learned about it through voicemail, then that means that your phone polled the tower too late to get the incoming call but picked up the voicemail.

    Text messages aren't sent to your phone instantly. On every phone I've ever used there has been a delay between the message being sent and it being received. If your phone picks up the text message the next polling time, it's only delayed a few seconds. But if your phone doesn't pick up the call until the next polling time, you've missed (or almost missed) the call.

    Since I've changed the polling time, I've noticed I've received voicemails faster, and text messages faster. I never really had a problem with incoming calls, so I don't notice so much a difference on that side. But voicemails and text messages are definately quicker, and previously I had always thought that the delay between being sent/left and being received was just fine.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Wanna swap a 700wx for your 800w? I'll put any custom ROM you want on it.



    Text messages and voicemails don't work quite the same.

    If you missed a call, and learned about it through voicemail, then that means that your phone polled the tower too late to get the incoming call but picked up the voicemail.

    Text messages aren't sent to your phone instantly. On every phone I've ever used there has been a delay between the message being sent and it being received. If your phone picks up the text message the next polling time, it's only delayed a few seconds. But if your phone doesn't pick up the call until the next polling time, you've missed (or almost missed) the call.

    Since I've changed the polling time, I've noticed I've received voicemails faster, and text messages faster. I never really had a problem with incoming calls, so I don't notice so much a difference on that side. But voicemails and text messages are definately quicker, and previously I had always thought that the delay between being sent/left and being received was just fine.
    same here. faster messages, faster voice mails, almost no missed calls.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Wanna swap a 700wx for your 800w? I'll put any custom ROM you want on it.



    Text messages and voicemails don't work quite the same.

    If you missed a call, and learned about it through voicemail, then that means that your phone polled the tower too late to get the incoming call but picked up the voicemail.
    I've also had issues where my phone is plugged in and charging, then the second I unplug it, I get an idication of both missed calls and voice mails. Again, too many bugs for me to reliably trust this phone, especially since I use this in business.

    Sorry about the offer to swap, I already sold it to someone locally.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post


    I've also had issues where my phone is plugged in and charging, then the second I unplug it, I get an idication of both missed calls and voice mails. Again, too many bugs for me to reliably trust this phone, especially since I use this in business.

    Sorry about the offer to swap, I already sold it to someone locally.
    I'm with you. I've had the same problems. And it isn't "missed" calls for me - I have ghost calls where I'll get a voicemail but no notification or call in the log. It never rings and the phone doesn't register it as a call.

    Anybody have a fix for that? Probably not since WM is a piece of ****. Every WM phone I've had has had major problems like this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post

    Sorry about the offer to swap, I already sold it to someone locally.
    And it wasn't me.

    But hey, I could of just met you downtown.
    Just call me Berd.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post


    I've also had issues where my phone is plugged in and charging, then the second I unplug it, I get an idication of both missed calls and voice mails. Again, too many bugs for me to reliably trust this phone, especially since I use this in business.

    Sorry about the offer to swap, I already sold it to someone locally.
    Yup. Those problems are not due to the polling frequency. All Sprint phones have their SCI set to 2 and always have. While I've always changed mine to 0 whenever I get a new phone, that shouldn't be necessary for the phone to work.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Yup. Those problems are not due to the polling frequency. All Sprint phones have their SCI set to 2 and always have. While I've always changed mine to 0 whenever I get a new phone, that shouldn't be necessary for the phone to work.
    Don't you ever get tired of posting incorrect information?

    The 800w's SCI is set to 3 by default. 2 is the standard for most Sprint phones, but not all Sprint phones have their SCI set to 2.

    If you'd actually changed the SCI for the 800w, you would have seen that it was set to 3 instead of 2, any one would hope that you would have posted such. Since there is no post/thread about the SCI before Mal's.....
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Don't you ever get tired of posting incorrect information?

    The 800w's SCI is set to 3 by default. 2 is the standard for most Sprint phones, but not all Sprint phones have their SCI set to 2.

    If you'd actually changed the SCI for the 800w, you would have seen that it was set to 3 instead of 2, any one would hope that you would have posted such. Since there is no post/thread about the SCI before Mal's.....
    Would changing the SCI to 1 or 0 on the 800W fix the "ghost" call problem?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelet View Post
    Would changing the SCI to 1 or 0 on the 800W fix the "ghost" call problem?
    2 should be fine. That's the "normal" Sprint setting (thought not all phones have it set to that).

    You can try 1 or 0, just keep in mind that the lower you set it, the more battery it'll use. The difference between 3 and 2 is pretty negligible, but 1 or 0 might be noticeable.
  20. #20  
    Don't feel bad, Sprint is dumping the 800 too.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions