View Poll Results: Would You Hesitate to Buy a Pro?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 30.77%
  • No

26 66.67%
  • Hadn't heard of Cracks before this thread.

1 2.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems the Bad Batch of Cracked Pro's is pretty much out of circulation.
    I make this assumption based on the little attention the Cracked Pro thread is getting, and the comments by those who got a replacement.

However, my concern is;
    the fear that some still might have about getting a Cracked Pro,
    and how some Palm Reps have given certain ones a hard time.

Palm accidentally let a bad batch of cracked pro's get out, which could hurt future sales of Pro's. Then, to top-it-off, some of reps are giving individuals a difficult time in getting their defective device replaced.

Because of this, if I hadn't already gotten a Pro, and I was considering getting one, I might have second thoughts.

What about you?

Another motive for this Poll:
    http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...hread.id=39312
    My hope is to post a link to this Poll over at Palms Official Forum and emphasize to them the need for certain reps to lose the attitude.
    Just call me Berd.
    I have two Treo Pros, and have had no issues.

I would take that post at the Palm Forums with a grain of salt. I think he's full of it:

...And sure, we get a replacement device sent to us. And then a week later it too has the cracks...
    Hey berdinkerdickle, if you hadn't started this thread, I was going to start one such it today. I didn't buy my Treo Pro earlier because I needed to save some cash for it - and now that I can afford it, the countless threads on TC regarding various software bugs and hardware issues have discouraged me so much to buy TP, that I am having to consider buying BB Bold. Coming from a Treo 750, TP is like the coolest looking Treo phone I had been dreaming of buying, but more than one users are already mentioning issues with bluetooth indicators, ringer muting, time zones changing, camera s/w bug and these are things that you shouldnt have to face in a device so personal as a pda/phone, especially when you have to pay ~$500 for it.
    I come to TC multiple times a day, just with a hope seeing a new thread saying this and this problem has been fixed, but rather find one more with a different bug listed. I am so much looking forward to seeing Palm release a new ROM for this phone, be it coming from AT&T release or straight from Palm. I love this device and am having to stop myself just short of ordering one many many times. Although the thread about TP being the best phone ever is giving me some encouragement, but fact is I have lost faith in the current set of hardware/ROM of TP, and wont buy one till I start seeing people talking about issues being solved. Till then I would have to wait on the edge of my seat, hoping some other cool phone wont come and steal my loyalty for Palm and TP. Palm, I hope you read my post and understand my hidden request to you to solve the relevant issues ASAP. Meanwhile I would like to read the views of what others think about the issue.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    I saw a used one for sale on Craig's. I would consider a used one because the owner can mention any problems I'll take into consideration(if it's an honest owner, that is). Plus I can check for cracks.

Some problems I can overlook, cracks no thanks.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #5  
    Please don't take this Thread wrong.
    I am so happy with my Pro!
    It is positively the best Treo to date.
    Jamesgangut said in another thread; 'it's the Treo we've been waiting for.'
    You are always going to have ones starting threads saying they are having this or that issue.
    If you notice Scotty's 'Official Bug' thread (sticky), there's only 2 or 3 actual bugs, that is really impressive for a new release.
    I would highly recommend the Pro.
    My concern is with those few here who mentioned the difficulty they had with Palm at getting a replacement for cracks. I know most, including myself, were treated perfectly fine by Palm - I got a replacement for another issue. They sent me my new one first and then I sent back mine.
    I thought about starting this poll weeks ago because there were certain individuals who were given a hard time at getting their cracked pro replaced.
    My purpose for this poll is to see if that has had a negative effect on others considering the Pro.
    Wow, so Palm is the only company who releases buggy devices in the world, isn't?

My Treo Pro doesn't crack, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

About bugs, despite of not being capable of silencing a call without rejecting it, and the problem with dark photos, (two not important problems), I find the Treo Pro really tunned.

Bluetooth works great (altought is possible spanish version comes with bluetooth update included), and the device is fast and responsive. I don't think a forum is a whole market reallity, mainly because forums are mostly used to find solutions or expose problems.

After visiting hell with my Diamond, I'm now in heaven.
    For some there appears to be a need for perfection to personal standards, which seems mutually exclusive in a mass production world. I'm sure I could think of a few things that might have been added to the Treo Pro to cater to my personal needs, but as a mass production device, the Treo Pro that I own is the best PDA/cell phone I've ever owned. It fulfills my needs. The rest is fluff that really isn't necessary.
  8. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Good thread berd.

Yes I would have hesitated in getting one until I was convinced that the cracking problem has been eliminated and/or Palm is taking care of the faulty units.

I was paranoid when the cracking issue first came up. I checked my TP constantly & even had my husband check it just in case I missed something.

As for the device, I am very happy with it & would like to keep it for a long long long time.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Berd -- Short answer to the post's original question is YES.

In fact, the cracking, Palm's deterioting market share (not mentioned here yet as a reason but very valid), and its high price drove me to consider the EPIX. After a lot of thought I went with the EPIX and am glad that I did.

My only issues with the EPIX are: (1) its locked to AT&T, (2) the proprietary connector, and (3) its aGPS chip requires a cell signal to work (but it is not locked down to AT&T Navigator). The phone reception is great and it is very stable. The lower price thanks to the AT&T subsidy got me past concerns 1 and 2. Since my potential use of GPS will be 99.9% of the time in locations where I can get a cell signal, #3 really isn't a big deal for me.

I'm sure if I went with the Pro (assuming I did not get a unit that cracked) I would have quickly forgotten the price and I'd be singing its praises right now. Truthfully, once you own a Pro and are sure you won't need the warantee, the viability of Palm as an ongoing business is a non-issue.
    Great thread, Berd. My answer would have to be "No, don't wait." If the specs & design fit what I'm looking for, I'll go for it. I've had Motorola cellphones that had more issues than the Pro.

And deCorvett made a valid point about forum comments -- we tend to be more vocal (complaints, assistance, comments, etc.), I think we have higher expectations than the general population, & we're more techie than most & know where to look for answers & tweaks.

We have a comment in this thread from someone who went with the Epix because he waited. He's happy with that choice. Yet, if you read the reviews & forums, the Epix is supposed to be a lesser phone than the Treo Pro. So, who do you believe? My tendency is to place extra weight on positive comments that go beyond "IT's a great phone, so shut up!". For that matter, who can explain their pro or con view clearly beyond the emotional "mine's great" or "mine shouldn't have that issue" will get my attention.

Anyway, I haven't had any cracks, my contact manager & calendar app work, never experienced the BT issue, my internet & Bible software all function. Why would I tell someone to wait?
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    A careful read of my post would convince you I'd have been happy with the Pro too. And cracks did not initially stop me as they were not being reported at that time. The higher price stopped mefirst and then the cracks started to get reported.

As for the EPIX, I happen to love the mouse feature and appreciate its faster processor. Otherwise the features tend to even out between the two (my opinion).

But the bottom line is they are both very good phones and the choice between the two will come down to personal preferences.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    By the way, I hang around the Treo boards because they are more active and some of the comments are applicable to WM6.1 in general. The Palm community really is more passionate about their phones.
    I finally moved away from my 3rd Treo 800. Have a Touch Pro now and so tired of the slider already. I do want the Treo Pro but have lost faith in Palm. My buddy Roger sent his cracked Treo Pro on December 5th for repair and still has not got it back. No support for the 800 now being replaced among other Palm issues make me realize I cannot throw my 2 year eligibility away on Palm. May change my mind in a few weeks when Sprint finally gets it. My 30 day trial is over Jan. 2nd on the Touch Pro so I need to make my mind up in a few days.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Great thread, Berd. My answer would have to be "No, don't wait." If the specs & design fit what I'm looking for, I'll go for it. I've had Motorola cellphones that had more issues than the Pro.

And deCorvett made a valid point about forum comments -- we tend to be more vocal (complaints, assistance, comments, etc.), I think we have higher expectations than the general population, & we're more techie than most & know where to look for answers & tweaks.

We have a comment in this thread from someone who went with the Epix because he waited. He's happy with that choice. Yet, if you read the reviews & forums, the Epix is supposed to be a lesser phone than the Treo Pro. So, who do you believe? My tendency is to place extra weight on positive comments that go beyond "IT's a great phone, so shut up!". For that matter, who can explain their pro or con view clearly beyond the emotional "mine's great" or "mine shouldn't have that issue" will get my attention.

Anyway, I haven't had any cracks, my contact manager & calendar app work, never experienced the BT issue, my internet & Bible software all function. Why would I tell someone to wait?

The Epix is not a lesser phone than the Pro, unless the posters meant it's locked and has proprietary connectors. But other than that, I went with the Epix over the Pro also. The similarities in specs plus the $300 deals on the internet made me go with the Epix. Best Buy also sells Samsung connectors if you happen to lose yours, or they can be found online.

In my case, it was either take chances with Palm or get a phone that AT&T will back(for $250 less also). Even though they suck in many ways, AT&T usually listens when a large number of complaints file in. They have pulled phones off the shelves and won't sell any more to unsuspecting customers, if enough complaints come in. Palm doesn't seem to do that.

P.S. I think I remember AT&T pulling the 650 off shelves for a while until the firmware was fixed or something like that. But it was AT&T's doing, not Palm's.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/27/2008 at 11:21 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would not hesitate AT ALL to buy the TP again. I love it now that I do not have a cracked one. LOL. People are mentioning the Epix here and I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. The guy I work with has the Epix. It seems to be a bit more unstable then the TP (his locks up a bit) and it feels huge compared to the TP- even with similar dimensions. Why would they not curve the corners?? The form factor alone is worth the extra money for the TP in my opinion!!
    The form factor's not worth $250 more, I'm sorry.

17.    #17  
    Yea, but how much would the Epix be unsubsidized?
    How much would the Pro be if we got it thru a carrier?
  18. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I seriously considered the Epix, which came out 2 days after I put in my order for the TP. It does have the same feature set & infact has a faster processor w/more memory.

Some of the reasons I did not get it:

1. I needed a GPSToday like program to get me co-ordinates of points of interest, while I am overseas with the data connection turned off. I was repeatedly told no GPS w/o data.

2. I always thought the Blackjack sounded muffled inspite of having excellent reception & didn't want that in the Epix.

3. I could never get rid of the AT&T junk from the Blackjack & was concerned same would be the case with the Epix.

4. The form factor - sorry PhoneDiva.

5. I didn't want all my Treo & BB toting friends to tease me with "you got another crappy samy?". In jest ofcourse.

There were other reasons also. All in all I am very happy I chose to go with the TP. I am really happy with it & hope to keep it longer than my 750 (holds the record at 15m btw)
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Price would likely be the same if both were unsubsidized or if the Pro was subsidized by AT&T. Having an official AT&T approved ROM might make the Pro a bit less stable though :-)

Seriously, I could make a pro/con case tilted towards either one if price was taken out of the equation. But the truth is they are pretty equal and choice at that point would be strictly based on personal preferences or biases.
    I guess the price one puts on the form factor might have some to do with the expendable income they have? The extra price was worth it to me for the form factor alone and definitely when one throws in that I don't have any "everyday" phone.... at least for another month. LOL. I see kids carrying the EPix. MUCH better form factor with the TP, and I have a "rarer" phone for now..... plus, I have been a die hard Palm man for 5-6 years now are what made it a non-decision for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast