View Poll Results: Would You Hesitate to Buy a Pro?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 30.77%
  • No

26 66.67%
  • Hadn't heard of Cracks before this thread.

1 2.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Yes disposable income could be a factor I suppose. It was not for me as I'm definitely not a kid and could have wrote the check without hesitation. I would have preferred an unlocked phone and an unbranded ROM but frugalness won out (since I considered the two phones pretty even).

I cannot imagine the EPIX being a popular "kid phone" though. Its features and specs are geared towards a different target market, as in a business type.

Now the Samsung Omnia, especially the version they are selling in South Korea, would be the type of phone kids and 20-somethings would drool over. And before anyone rails about the Omnia's features (or lack of) check out the South Korean model, it is light years ahead of what they are selling here in the States.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yea, but how much would the Epix be unsubsidized?
    How much would the Pro be if we got it thru a carrier?
    Amazingly no contract is listed as $450. And AT&T has a bad habit of charging the same or more for LOCKED phones, on no contract. Make me wonder exactly what would be the price of an unlocked Epix. Likely less than(judging by the unsubsidzed AT&T price) or very close to the Pro.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb56 View Post
    Yes disposable income could be a factor I suppose. It was not for me as I'm definitely not a kid and could have wrote the check without hesitation. I would have preferred an unlocked phone and an unbranded ROM but frugalness won out (since I considered the two phones pretty even).

I cannot imagine the EPIX being a popular "kid phone" though. Its features and specs are geared towards a different target market, as in a business type.

Now the Samsung Omnia, especially the version they are selling in South Korea, would be the type of phone kids and 20-somethings would drool over. And before anyone rails about the Omnia's features (or lack of) check out the South Korean model, it is light years ahead of what they are selling here in the States.

I have a hard time believing a lot of kids have an Epix too. The data and texting plan is high, unless all these kids have rich parents who don't care.

BTW, it isn't hard for me to buy a Pro(don't start sounding like those iPhone snobs Kjkramer), but I still didn't see the value in paying $250 more, because the Epix's specs are too similar. I'm used to the Blackjack form factor and it doesn't bother me that much to pay $250 more. Maybe if the Pro had a larger screen and more memory. JMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yes, I see KIDS (Middle School) with just about every phone here. (Rich part of Las Vegas.) I see Iphones, G-1's, Epix, Blackberry Storms, etc. It is shocking to me!! Of course the average home in that part of Summerlin is 2-3 million. Of course, a lot of these kids are failing their classes and still have everything they have for some reason.... I will leave that for a parenting thread on another board. LOL.
    Phone Diva, I agree with you that you can make the case that the Epix is actually a better phone and $250 cheaper. However, after holding the Epix, I have to wonder what they wee thinking in the design process... why would they not make this thing smaller feeling in the hand? It feels as big as my old 650 in the hand... just lighter. The TP feels twice as small with almost the same dimensions. This means everyhing to ME. My TP, even with the new Seidio Innocase on it, feels smaller in my hand then the Epix. I would have paid $400 more for the TP for this reason alone. And NO, I'm not being snobby- I am far from that. I work in a rich area but live amongst the common folk. LOL. I just place value on comfort and convenience. I will give the EPIX credit though- it feels smaller then the BB Bold... that phone is HUGE and I'm glad I did not wait for it!!
    It is amazing to me in the year 2009 now, that EVERY phone I pick up has such obvious flaws or things missing. I know we all want and look for different things in phones and no single phone will ever be perfect for everyone, but I think we should be a lot closer. The TP is the closest thing to perfection right now for ME even though there are things I wish were better on it.
    .............just my two cents............for today.......
    I apologize for the assumption.

Also, actually I wouldn't say the Epix is necessarily better, just similar specs, cheaper and backed by AT&T. AT&T has strict quality control and Samsung releases patches for their AT&T smartphones. Palm may or may not unless the phone is carrier backed and even then people had so many complaints about no patch for the 700p, I lost a little faith in Palm then. The Pro's stress cracking problem also makes me a little worried, although it may have disappeared in newer batches.

As for Epix size, I'm going to guess that's why people though it was the BJIII, LOL! They probably capitalized off the the Blackjack popularity with the form factor. It really does seem very similar, just thicker. Sure the Pro is cuter and appears smaller, but for me that's not enough for a premium. If it had a VGA or even a large screen, yes. A big screen is worth more to me, because I can see what I'm doing better. But then the form factor would change.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I apologize for the assumption.

Also, actually I wouldn't say the Epix is necessarily better, just similar specs, cheaper and backed by AT&T. AT&T has strict quality control and Samsung releases patches for their AT&T smartphones. Palm may or may not unless the phone is carrier backed and even then people had so many complaints about no patch for the 700p, I lost a little faith in Palm then. The Pro's stress cracking problem also makes me a little worried, although it may have disappeared in newer batches.

As for Epix size, I'm going to guess that's why people though it was the BJIII, LOL! They probably capitalized off the the Blackjack popularity with the form factor. It really does seem very similar, just thicker. Sure the Pro is cuter and appears smaller, but for me that's not enough for a premium. If it had a VGA or even a large screen, yes. A big screen is worth more to me, because I can see what I'm doing better. But then the form factor would change.
    A see your points and I agree. I was one of the "lucky few" with a cracked TP, but my new one is holding up great...... so far *knocking on my table so hard my knuckles are almost bleeding*. LOL. Have you held a BlackJack III..... I mean Epix and a TP at the same time before? I actually had to go online and confirm the dimensions. Seriously!! The TP feels 20% smaller... still better then the BB Bold though!! As far as the VGA... isnt there a DL that works on the TP I read in another post? As far as the screen size goes - I do think the screen could have been made a little bigger as there seems to be unused space around the screen. I would like to have seen this TP a tiny bit wider and the screen expanded each way for a bigger square... and thus helping the KB as well. The screen could have been expanded a good 1/4" each way by making the phone just a smidge wider and taking advantage of the voided space. Those half inches each way would have made the screen seem a LOT bigger!!
    Still say the size difference and "cuteness" are well worth the extra money for me :-)
    Speaking of screen size, Ebag333 posted the TP themes and when installed on the Epix, give the illusion of a larger screen due to no top bar gradient. I actually like the screen better on the Epix now, due to TP themes, LOL!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 01/03/2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Fixed the handle.

Yes I would. $500 for a cell phone? Oh hells no. Plus I still have my restraints with WM phones. I would have to be eligable for a full upgrade, play with the phone, and have Sprint give me a nice *** rebate
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12