Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is an old hack that's been done on Sprint phones for years, except for WM Treos (700wx, 800w) as the SCI setting was not accessible on the phone.

What is SCI

SCI or Slot Cycle Index is a value that determines how fast your phone "pings" the network tower for incoming calls, voicemail and text messages.

On land lines, you have a permanent connection to the network. On cell, you do not. Instead, the phone checks with the tower every "X" seconds to see if it has anything incoming. Those "X" seconds are defined by SCI.

The default value on Sprint is SCI = 2. The value is 1.28 seconds multiplied by 2^value (i.e 0=1.28 secs, 1=2.56secs) with 0 fastest, 7 slowest. So with a default SCI of 2, your phone is pinging the tower every 5.12 seconds.

What this Means

It means that if your phone just checked the tower, 5.12 seconds goes by before it checks again. If a call comes in during that period, you won't know till 5.12 seconds passes (roughly).

--> This is why when someone calls you, it rings once or twice even before you get one ring on your end

Why Change it?

Reducing it to SCI 1 or even 0 will reduced that time frame to 2.56 seconds or 1.28 respectively, meaning you'll get calls faster and decrease the chance of "missing" them.

Downsides?

Of course! The faster you ping the tower, the more battery it uses. Is it a dramatic difference? Not really, but it'll depend on your coverage: worse coverage means the phone "tries harder" to get a signal more often--that's bad. If good coverage, you should be fine.

And if you already have bad battery life/struggle with it, then probably not a good idea either. But as already mentioned, this isn't a huge drain.

Controversy?

Some have said that the SCI is actually mandated by the towers, not on the phone and that doing this has no appreciable effect. This is an ongoing and interesting debate but from my experience, it DOES work.

You be the judge.

How To (Copied from Ebag333)

Tools Needed:
    • beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver
    • QPST -- As this is a Qualcomm program, I will not post or link to it here. I used QPST 2.7.264 (or QPST 2.7 version 264 as it is sometimes called) for this). (Hint: Google is your friend.)
    • Your SPC/MSL code. Since the 800w uses an MESID, the normal tools won't work for this. I simply called Sprint, selected the option for tech support, kept drilling down until I got a tech, and asked for it. I told him that I needed to do a factory (also known as an RTN) reset. He happily provided it to me. If they question you about it, you can tell them that you need to reset it and have all the instructions in front of you, you just need the MSL
    • A normal MiniUSB sync cable
    • Your 800w

That's an intimidating list I know, but it's really much simpler than the list might imply.

To apply the hack:

• Install QPST
    • Connect your phone to your PC, make sure you have a good connection
    • On your phone, go into the dialpad and dial ##DIAG# (##3424#)
    • Select Diag passthru. (Note: You do not need to click OK. Simple select the radio button for Diag Passthru. Clicking OK makes this window go away, but you can get back to it at any point by dialing ##DIAG#.)
    • You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver
    • Once installed, run QPST Configuration
    • Click Add New Port...
    • Here you will see a list of comm ports. Don't worry about most of these, the one we want is labeled USB/QC Diagnostic. If you see more than one, that's okay, just add all of them (I had two)
    • One of the comm ports will list a phone. Mine displayed SURF6800. Simply make a mental note of the comm port number for this one
    • From the QPST tools, launch QPST Service Programming. (Warning: This is an incredibly powerful tool, and it has the capabilities to completely brick your phone, rendering it useless. If you do not know what something does, don't touch it!)
    • Make sure that your phone is selected, and click OK
    • Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code
    • Open "Settings" Tab (should be already open/first one)
    • Under Slot Cycle Index, it should say "2". Change to "1" or "0". Recommended is "1"
    • Double check that you didn't change anything you weren't supposed to!
    • Click the Write to Phone button. (Note: You may be promoted for your MSL/SPC code again.)
    • Soft reset your phone

Now you should have shorter delays on incoming calls.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Sounds awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much.
    Hmm...a lot of those instruction seem familiar....

Great tweak though! This really should help with people missing calls/texts!
    Been setting my slot cycle index to 0 for many, many years now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Hmm...a lot of those instruction seem familiar....

Great tweak though! This really should help with people missing calls/texts!
    lol, yeah you saved me a lot of re-typing work

how i can run QPST Configuration.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1234 View Post
    thanks
    If you have to ask this question, this is probably not a hack you want to attempt.

QPST is an incredibly powerful program that can absolutely destroy your phone, very easily. One single wrong click and you have a nice doorstop.

The instructions are quite clear on how to do this, and walk you through it step by step. If you're not comfortable trying to do it with those instructions, you should probably just leave it be.
    Noticed this post yesterday and actually got a call from a Rep a few minutes ago which saved me time from calling them to get my MSL, after many attempts using various programs for converting/grabbing my MSL, but even the one I got from the rep is wrong. I'm at work now and gonna call back later to try and reach a tech person to see if they can get a different one, but a question I had with this is, when I connect to QPST Service Program, it shows my phone, but it's not my phone number in it on the initial screen where you can select the phone. Could this possibly be why I got the wrong MSL from the rep?
    If you look on the QPST Configuration, you should see the Phone, ESN (which is really your pseudo ESN), Phone number, Banner, and Port.

If the phone number shown there is not correct, then your phone was not programmed correctly. You can do an RTN (Factory) reset, and reprogram your phone. If you call Sprint tech support (from another line) or go to a Sprint store, you should be able to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Been setting my slot cycle index to 0 for many, many years now.
    1.is there an easier way of doing this?
    2.does it change back if you HARD reset?
    thnx
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1234 View Post
    thanks
    If you have to ask this question, this is probably not a hack you want to attempt.

QPST is an incredibly powerful program that can absolutely destroy your phone, very easily. One single wrong click and you have a nice doorstop.

The instructions are quite clear on how to do this, and walk you through it step by step. If you're not comfortable trying to do it with those instructions, you should probably just leave it be.
    Ebag or Mal, could you repeat the instructions? - start over from the beginning.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Ebag or Mal, could you repeat the instructions? - start over from the beginning.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    1.is there an easier way of doing this?
    2.does it change back if you HARD reset?
    thnx
    1. No (why would we only post the hard way? lol)
    2. No

"You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver"

i was promped only once.
    help?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    "You should be prompted for several (three) hardware installs. All three times point the installer to the location where you placed beezlewaxin's 800w Diagnostic Driver"

i was promped only once.
    help?
    Did you follow the next steps and see if your device shows up in QPST?
    Did you follow the next steps and see if your device shows up in QPST?
    got it, after ##3424# selected the 3rd option, and then it worked
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 04/27/2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: 1
    Got it to work, Thanks a lot, first rep gave me the wrong # and for whatever reason my MSID is different from phone number, but when I looked at my brother's phone his was the same as his phone number which made me think it was something wrong with mine, anyway thanks again!!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    My MSID used to be my phone number too, but Sprint changed it on me when I was having trouble getting service. Don't know why.
    I cannot get the drivers to install by pointing them to the location I saved the DiagDrivers. Is there something else I need to do? Is it the location that I saved them on my computer? Could it be because I am running Windows Vista Business with 64 bit? Will this even effect it? Also, the reason I am saying it did not work is that when I go into the QPST configuration I don't see a list of comm ports. Maybe I am missing something but any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I cannot get the drivers to install by pointing them to the location I saved the DiagDrivers. Is there something else I need to do? Is it the location that I saved them on my computer? Could it be because I am running Windows Vista Business with 64 bit? Will this even effect it? Also, the reason I am saying it did not work is that when I go into the QPST configuration I don't see a list of comm ports. Maybe I am missing something but any help would be appreciated.
    Did you unzip the drivers? Did the diagnostic modem install? (Check your Control Panel.)
    Did you unzip the drivers? Did the diagnostic modem install? (Check your Control Panel.)
    I did unzip the drivers and pointed to the unzipped folder. It doesn't appear that the diagnostic modem installed. I am still getting used to the vista environment but I checked in both places I thought it could be. Under the program list and then also in the list that shows what modems are installed. Let me know if there is somewhere else I need to check.

Do I need to run any of the files in the DiagDriver folder before I execute the ##DIAG# step? I downloaded the zip file and all of the files that were listed showed up with the following file sizes.

qcmdm.inf 44 KB
    qcser.inf 2 KB
    qcusb.inf 1 KB
    qcusbmdm.sys 32 KB
    qcusbser.sys 63 KB

Let me know if you can think of anything else. Thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast