Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You don't need to run any of the files. You should be prompted to install the modem when you switch to diagnostic mode. Make sure you have a good connection first.

If you follow the step-by-step instructions, it should work for both Vista and XP. Where a lot of people go wrong is they try and do them out of order (easy to do).
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I ran through the steps on Vista and it works. When you put the phone into "Diag Passthru" mode, Vista will prompt saying it is installing new hardware. It takes a minute or 2 for Vista to come back saying it couldn't find drivers. This is where you can select the folder where drivers are installed.
    Would this be something beneficial/needed for the Treo Pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You don't need to run any of the files. You should be prompted to install the modem when you switch to diagnostic mode. Make sure you have a good connection first.

If you follow the step-by-step instructions, it should work for both Vista and XP. Where a lot of people go wrong is they try and do them out of order (easy to do).
    Ebag333, you kick a** my friend, following directions actually does work Can't wait for you next update/upgrade, and also thank you to Malatesta for all the info leading to the right posts.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Would this be something beneficial/needed for the Treo Pro?
    Possibly. Find (or create) a diagnostic driver for the Pro and see what the SCI is set at.
    Possibly. Find (or create) a diagnostic driver for the Pro and see what the SCI is set at.
    Thanks,

I am off to see what I can find.
    Just call me Berd.
    Does this make sense?

If I'm reading it correctly, GSM doesn't use SCI, but rather BS_PA_MFRMS.

"A mobile unit monitors its own Paging Channel (PCH) periodically to look out for any instance of an incoming call. It is network's responsibility to forward the notification of an incoming call to the mobile unit and the network (NW) achieves the same by sending the notification of PCH along with the notification of the incoming call, as a paging message, at pre-determined locations in the PCH of which the mobile unit is also aware. A mobile unit knows, in advance, the locations in the PCH where the NW would send the notification for an incoming call. The location or the scheduling of the notification in the PCH is determined in advance and agreed upon between the NW and the mobile unit. The mobile unit evaluates the scheduling period autonomously by making use of certain standard network parameters like BS_PA_MFRMS, a paging period parameter in Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM), and Slot Cycle Index (SCI), in Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA)."

I am running the steps in order and it is still not working. It comes up and prompts me to put in the CD I got with the phone. I click the option that says I do not have the CD and that is when I point to where I have saved the diagnostic files. Then it comes up with an error saying it could not find the driver software. I have attached a screen shot of what I see. I could be doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what. I believe my phone has a good connection because it says it is connected and I can see files on my phone from my desktop. Thanks for your help. I am going to try and re-download the diagnostic drivers and try again. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are you sure you put it into diagnostic mode?

Is it trying to install a modem or network driver?
    Are you sure you put it into diagnostic mode?
    I select the bubble on my phone that says Diag passthru. There are three options that I can select. One is Normal (selected when I go into diagnostic mode), the second is Daig passthru, and the third is Diag + Data passthru. I have tried both Diag passthru and Diag + Data passthru. Something to note is that when I select anything other than normal under the Activesync sync center it immediately says my phone is disconnected. This sounded like it was supposed to happen like this because it was resetting the radio. I am not sure though.

Is it trying to install a modem or network driver?
    It looks like it is trying to install a network driver. Have attached screen shots of all of the prompts I am getting as soon as I select Diag passthru. Also, the following is what I selected during each prompt.

1st prompt - Locate and install driver software (recommended)
    2nd prompt - I don't have the disc. Show me other options.
    3rd prompt - Browse my computer for driver software (advanced)
    4th prompt - Next (after I browse to the location of the files)
    5th prompt - Don't check online; I'll set up this device later (curiously I selected check online and it still didn't work)
    6th prompt - Close (not attached bc only 5 files allowed)

It repeats this process a total of three times and then it says that it fails. I then followed the next steps and my device did not show up in the QPST. Also, I re downloaded the DiagDrivers and it is still giving me the same problems.

I am still trying to figure it out but with no luck. Hopefully it will work soon. I feel like it is something I am just doing incorrectly because it is working for other people. Could it have anything to do with having a 64 bit machine? Has anyone else gotten this to work with a 64 bit machine?
    64 bit could possibly be the problem (I doubt it though to be honest). I did this under 32 bit XP, so I'm afraid I'm of more limited help under Vista. Maybe someone with Vista can chime in.

Oh, and if it's trying to install a network driver, then that's a problem. It needs to install a modem. You could check your installed hardware (Device Manager under XP) and see what it's actually trying to install.
    Keep me from screwing up, before I begin, should ActiveSync be running when doing this or not?
    You can't run ActiveSync. When you switch to DIAG mode, it changes from a network connection to a modem.
    I actually don't really know what it is trying to do. I have attached a shot of my device manager when it is trying to install. It appears that it is showing three drivers that are being installed but I am not sure if that is what it is supposed to do. I tried manually updating the drivers by pointing to the correct folder where I save the diagnostic drivers but with no luck. Unless there are any other ideas out there I might just chalk it up to 64 bit being the problem.
    That looks right.

It must be the 64 bit that's the problem. Vista 64 must not like those drivers....

You got a 32 bit box you can borrow for a few minutes to do this?
    That looks right.

It must be the 64 bit that's the problem. Vista 64 must not like those drivers....

You got a 32 bit box you can borrow for a few minutes to do this?
    I borrowed a 32 bit computer and it appears that 64 bit was the problem installing the drivers. It looks like the drivers were installed correctly.

I now am having problems jumping through being able to see the phone with QPST. Correct me if I am doing this wrong. I open the configuration and go to the ports tab and click add new port. I have the checkbox checked that says only show serial and usb/diagnostic ports only. If I uncheck the box it looks like the new com5 port (looks like the diagnostic port) is there. If I add it I cannot figure out where to see what the phone is listed at. I guess I am just having trouble with these steps. I am going to try and figure it out but any more insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your help thus far.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 12/30/2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach
    Is there a cab installation for a novice user?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I borrowed a 32 bit computer and it appears that 64 bit was the problem installing the drivers. It looks like the drivers were installed correctly.

I now am having problems jumping through being able to see the phone with QPST. Correct me if I am doing this wrong. I open the configuration and go to the ports tab and click add new port. I have the checkbox checked that says only show serial and usb/diagnostic ports only. If I uncheck the box it looks like the new com5 port (looks like the diagnostic port) is there. If I add it I cannot figure out where to see what the phone is listed at. I guess I am just having trouble with these steps. I am going to try and figure it out but any more insight would be appreciated. Thanks for your help thus far.
    Make sure you're following the steps and you didn't skip around due to your problems with your Vista (it'd be easy to do).

You can also go into your Modems, and test that modem and see if it responds. It won't respond to all commands, but the basic ones it should.

Quote Originally Posted by emd2009 View Post
    Is there a cab installation for a novice user?
    No. This is not a hack really recommended for a novice user.

If you can follow directions, then most people should be able to do this just fine. If you have trouble following the steps in the first post, then you may want to consider holding off.

Since this is a change in the NV, I would not expect Palm to release an update for this. A ROM update will not fix this as it doesn't update the NV. I'm not sure how Palm could do an update to the NV without resetting your information (basically an RTN or factory reset).

I suppose you could send it to someone who does feel comfortable doing this, and have them do it for you.
    Make sure you're following the steps and you didn't skip around due to your problems with your Vista (it'd be easy to do).

You can also go into your Modems, and test that modem and see if it responds. It won't respond to all commands, but the basic ones it should.
    I finally got it to work on my borrowed 32 bit machine.

It took some effort but I doubled checked and my slot cycle is now at 1. Thanks so much for your help. You are very knowledgeable and I appreciate your effort.

I guess the next step will be to figure out why it didn't work on a 64 bit machine??????
    Just want to say thanks for the hack. Following the guide made everything very simple!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast