Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Oh, it works.....
    it helps

just like the title says, acquisition is much faster now--in fact I have to see if this works on the Sprint Treo Pro as that GPS is 'standalone' and takes 1-2 mins to get a fix...really annoying. And turning on aGPS using Schap's Config tool seems to make it worse.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm having troubles with this...I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly.

I dialed in ##3424# and enabled diag passthrough. I installed the driver for it when it prompted me to, but in Device Manager, I see "[beezl] Palm Treo 800W ## Modem Port". Is that correct? I have feeling it's not right...

I don't have the MSL, but if the right driver is installed, I can get that using CDMA Workshop, right?

Don't know if this makes a difference, but my 800w isn't activated. I have Sprint reception, but it's a bit weak.
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    it helps

just like the title says, acquisition is much faster now--in fact I have to see if this works on the Sprint Treo Pro as that GPS is 'standalone' and takes 1-2 mins to get a fix...really annoying. And turning on aGPS using Schap's Config tool seems to make it worse.
    I just want to say I have tested this six ways from sunday and it does not help.

On the 800w I have run it with efficasoft gps utilities which gives you every kind of information on your device's relationship with sats down to individual signal to noise side by side on a stock 800w and one with this hack and there is no improvement at all.

On the the Treo Pro standalone GPS is simply and plainly unaffected by this hack.

I get an instant start in Pro in standalone GPSif I have hot data, whcih is there

Warm start on pro without this hack I am at about 12 seconds, and cold start one minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I just want to say I have tested this six ways from sunday and it does not help.
    Well, I definitely disagree.

I connect to more satellites (up to 11) under basic conditions, which was more than the usual 7-8 on the the 800w pre-hack and on the Treo Pro. On top of that, connection time to those sats is on average about 10 seconds, which is about 10 less than without the hack.

Using the Sprint IP address in addition to position calculation=mobile/PDE does enhance the aGPS service--that IS what it is designed to do and why the chipset has those options available, they're not they're for decoration.

Finally, this "hack" has been around since at least last September (so before this thread) and is being used by others with different devices (i.e. Mogul) on different services (i.e. Alltel, Bell, Cricket, MetroPCS, Sprint, Telus, and Verizon) with high rates of success.

One doesn't have to look far in those threads to witness they are seeing the same results: more sats and faster connection times.

I suggest you go back and do better tests because you are definitely in the minority position here. Either that or go challenge the some odd 300 posts in that thread at ppcgeeks and XDA and tell them that they are all wrong.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/25/2009 at 09:10 AM.

7-8 pre-hack? Wow...before the hack I could barely get one, and now I can get about 4-6.

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    I moved your QuickGPS discussion here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...will-help.html

Though it may be somewhat related to "GPS Satellite Acquisition Time (Reduce to mere seconds!)" it isn't directly related to Ebags hack. Some of these more complicated topics need to stay on track to prevent confusion. Talking about other possible options such as QuickGPS from Treo Pro is better continued in it's own thread.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    I connect to more satellites (up to 11) under basic conditions, which was more than the usual 7-8 on the the 800w pre-hack and on the Treo Pro. On top of that, connection time to those sats is on average about 10 seconds, which is about 10 less than without the hack.
    Perhaps that was a problem with your preprodcution Treo Pro, because my official release CDMA treo pro gets 11 sats quite commonly without this hack.

I get hot start instant and less than ten seconds warm start on the treo Pro without this hack.
    Finally, this "hack" has been around since at least last September (so before this thread) and is being used by others with different devices (i.e. Mogul) on different services (i.e. Alltel, Bell, Cricket, MetroPCS, Sprint, Telus, and Verizon) with high rates of success.
    I have looked over that thread. It is a canard in this situation. Almost none of it is for Sprint. It isn't about the 800w problem Then we have people claiming they never got a lock faster than 5 minutes! Is that really the issue with Treo 800w? (No.)

Please dont suggest I am challenging 300 post and asserting I am saying they are "all wrong" when those 300 posts have nothing to do with the specific issue at hand.

Ebag claimed this:
    Typical times for GPS are 15-30 minutes for cold start, 5-15 minutes for warm start (have the info on where the satellites used to be, but don't have information on where they are now), and 30 seconds to 5 minutes for aGPS.
    This was a ludicrous claim, for GPS generally and for the 800w as well. it is part of the entire series of errors and assumptions on this thread.

30 seconds to five minutes for agps? The default out of box aGPS ion the Treo 800w is excellent. It is a matter of seconds.

"15 to 30 minutes" for cold start? my cold start times on 800w are less than a minute.

I have extensively tested this with TWO of the identical devices (both twp Treo Pro and Two Treo 800w) as a control. This hack does not generally improve TTFF and sometimes it causes longer acquisitions.
    Perhaps that was a problem with your preprodcution Treo Pro, because my official release CDMA treo pro gets 11 sats quite commonly without this hack.
    I have a friend with a "regular" Treo Pro which I often use and have tested this on, so don't assume I'm always speaking of the pre-production model.
    I get hot start instant and less than ten seconds warm start on the treo Pro without this hack.
    Great, I have not. Or rather, I have had some inconsistent performance. Sometimes it performs very well, even indoors. Other times it takes well past a minute outside to get a fix.
    I have looked over that thread. It is a canard in this situation. Almost none of it is for Sprint. It isn't about the 800w problem Then we have people claiming they never got a lock faster than 5 minutes! Is that really the issue with Treo 800w? (No.)
    No canard Aero. The logic behind the hack is sound. Are you suggesting that all those options under the aGPS section in QPST are canards too? That entering in the Sprint IP address for PDE is just some ruse? You haven't made an actual technical argument here--just suggest (a) this hasn't worked for you so (b) it is bogus (c) everyone who is experiencing an improvement is basically lying
    Please dont suggest I am challenging 300 post and asserting I am saying they are "all wrong" when those 300 posts have nothing to do with the specific issue at hand.
    The methodology is the same as are the results people are experiencing when they perform this trick. These are CDMA Windows Mobile devices, some of which are Sprint--there is a lot of technical overlap. It is very relevant. e.g. someone saying this below--it is awfully consistent
    It seems like I do get faster lock after doing this and also locks on to more pilots and or satellites. For example I had 11 outside with clear skies, previously I would get about 8 max.
    Ebag claimed this:

This was a ludicrous claim, for GPS generally and for the 800w as well. it is part of the entire series of errors and assumptions on this thread.
    News flash: I'm not ebag. Take up your debate with him as I have no part in your continuing tirade with him.
    I have extensively tested this with TWO of the identical devices (both twp Treo Pro and Two Treo 800w) as a control. This hack does not generally improve TTFF and sometimes it causes longer acquisitions.
    There have been plenty of people in this thread who have different experiences. To just ignore those people for your one claim is ludicrous.

I have a friend with a "regular" Treo Pro which I often use and have tested this on, so don't assume I'm always speaking of the pre-production model.
    I have done controlled tests on multiple models of 800w and treo pro concurrently in the same position with same software running.

The fact is this "fix" often causes longer times to first fix.

that is a well known issue with having a device try multiple aGPS modes that are not in fact available!

There are several expert articles (on WM devices) that discuss why turning on all these unsupported aGPS modes on the device slows acquisition

No canard Aero. The logic behind the hack is sound. Are you suggesting that all those options under the aGPS section in QPST are canards too?
    Lol, lots of those are unsupported. For goodness sakes look a the graphic yourself! does ticking autonomous make the GPS autonomous on 800w!

Instructing the device to attempt connections and downloads unsupported by the device, its drivers or the carrier is what causes this hack to rake longer.

News flash: I'm not ebag. Take up your debate with him as I have no part in your continuing tirade with him.
    It wasn't a tirade, it was a simple fact that his claims on non hacked acquisition times demonstrably false and ludicrous[/QUOTE]
    Right, but Sprint does support server based aGPS which was not enabled and defined by default on the 800w (like the MotoQ--another trick that uses the same settings!).

Code:
    PDE IP Address = 68.28.31.49
    PDE Port Number = 5017
    PDE Transport = IP
    Position Calculation = PDE
    And did you read this part at ppcgeeks?
    - If you HARD RESET or FLASH a new ROM, the settings in QPST COULD be lost. The Registry settings WILL be lost. You will need to redo this fix.
    -MetroPCS users will need to use position calculation = PDE
    -Sprint users may need to use position calculation = PDE (if u have poor results with 'mobile')

- The reason we now use position calculation=mobile and gpsmode=2 is:
    1. We rely MUCH less on the cell towers (less evdo data used and works well in areas with no coverage)
    2. Less battery power used
    3. Better for Turn-By-Turn software (like TomTom)
    4. We don't rely on the Cell phone companies to give us our position. (greater anonymity. they already know what tower we are connected to regardless of this fix, but they don't need to know our precise location)
    5. Only bad thing is that it will take a few seconds longer to get the initial fix (5-10 secs longer) and it won't work AS well indoors. But trust me the Pros outweigh the Cons.

Test it out, indoors and outdoors. you will probably not notice a difference, Which is good.

- Wifi will not work with the PDE Server. It will prevent the agps data from being downloaded if it is on.

- This requires a data connection. It will use 100 bytes (1/10 of 1Kilobyte) when accessing the PDE servers.
    The thing about using false aGPS sources does have a negative effect, but no one here is experiencing these with this hack:
    Firstly, the Touch HD took quite a while to find a lock on the satellites. Granted it was from a cold start but even with the GPS data downloaded? Maybe it was due to the weather. The clouds were dark and overcast. That could have been a factor.

Apparently that was not the only issue. Once fixed, the Touch HD would lose it’s signal for about 2-3 seconds before locking on again for about 1-2 seconds and then losing it again. This cycle kept going on and on and on, whether the car was stationary or moving.
    The big thing this trick does is cache the aGPS data for longer periods as well as enable the PDE servers/modify the mode. I haven't used my GPS in 2 days and did a soft reset. It was able to connect to 9 sats within 5-7 seconds. That is not longer wait times at all.

Perhaps your setup is wrong?

There are several expert articles (on WM devices) that discuss why turning on all these unsupported aGPS modes on the device slows acquisition
    Can you direct us to some of those articles?

On the 800w I have run it with efficasoft gps utilities which gives you every kind of information on your device's relationship with sats down to individual signal to noise side by side on a stock 800w and one with this hack and there is no improvement at all.

On the the Treo Pro standalone GPS is simply and plainly unaffected by this hack.
    BTW, just looked at the Treo Pro's GPSOne settings. The statement that the Treo Pro is "...plainly unaffected by this hack" is false since the Pro has all those check boxes enabled by default and the PDE information is all filled in already. (Not to mention, these are mostly aGPS settings, not stanadlone).

So I'm not sure how you even did this "hack" on the Treo Pro in the first place and it sure doesn't explain why all that info IS filled in on the Treo Pro if it "does not help".

I have some question about turn on GPS on non-Sprint network.

Is there any way to turn it on without entering SPC/MSL code? (coz I've bought new 800w on ebay, and our CDMA operators don't support most of Sprint services)
    Nope.

The GPS unit in this phone relies on aGPS to start (another one of those Sprint Services probably not supported by your carrier). Without it, you are not getting a Sat lock.

There are a number of threads on this.
    Great hack! I had problem with GPS on my Treo 800w, becouse I living in Ukraine. After this hack I can get GPS position and use Google Map, Navitel and other programs.

Ebag333 - thanks!
    Treo 800w user in Ukraine
    I am also from UA

Could you explain this:
    "Click the Read from Phone button. This is where you will enter your MSL/SPC code"

Where did you get this "MSL/SPC code"? (I am using "People.NET" CDMA carrier)
    Last edited by Nakamura; 07/07/2009 at 06:58 AM.
    Call to Peoplenet service-center in your town and ask this code - a man who unlock your phone must tell you this code. Only this man know it.

I think it 000000, but you must call to service-center
    To get the MSL, you need to use QPST. It's not 000000 because these are Sprint devices.

After unlocking and hacking - its not are Sprint device. And MSL must bee 000000, becouse in Ukraine this code mainly apply to unlocking CDMA phones
    Unless he's changed it, it should still be an actual code.

Are there any CDMA carrers in Ukraine? It's rare to see CDMA outside of the US and a couple countries in Asia.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast