Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 161
  1. #81  
    Ditto! My 800w has been working like a champ with all these hacks. Thank you fellas...
  2. #82  
    I don't want to read the entire thread -- has anyone come up with a simpler way to accomplish faster satellite acquisition than the original method, which is too complicated for some of us?
    Laissez Faire
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Did you make sure to enable all the options as instructed? (Both aGPS and all 3 cached.)
    Yes I did. I have all the check boxes that were suggested checked.

    Also, after further testing it seems like sometimes it can be off as much as 200 feet. Something interesting to note is that when I am just sitting in my office not moving the gps location jumps all over the place within a circle of about 300 feet in diameter until it apparently acquires an exact location. This location is still not as accurate from what I remember before I applied the hack. I am going to undo the hack later today and resume more testing with it off.

    What is the best way to clear my gps settings so I ensure I have unbiased results? Is it ##GPS#? The registry? Thanks for your help and I am interested to see the results myself.
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    I don't want to read the entire thread -- has anyone come up with a simpler way to accomplish faster satellite acquisition than the original method, which is too complicated for some of us?
    no

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The discussion can continue in this other thread.

    I'll say more there.
    Thanks to Darnell for starting the thread. I've culled this thread and put the off-subject posts there by-hand:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...28#post1536428

    I trust that from now on people will be able refrain from taking a thread off its designated topic *and* that should someone do that, others will refrain from continuing the off-topic discussion and will instead move it to another, more appropriate thread. In that vein -- responses to THIS post are best done directly to me via email.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Yes I did. I have all the check boxes that were suggested checked.

    Also, after further testing it seems like sometimes it can be off as much as 200 feet. Something interesting to note is that when I am just sitting in my office not moving the gps location jumps all over the place within a circle of about 300 feet in diameter until it apparently acquires an exact location. This location is still not as accurate from what I remember before I applied the hack. I am going to undo the hack later today and resume more testing with it off.

    What is the best way to clear my gps settings so I ensure I have unbiased results? Is it ##GPS#? The registry? Thanks for your help and I am interested to see the results myself.
    ##GPS# is where you can clear the cached data. I've deleted the data with no problems. Make sure you don't change any of the settings tho (such as going to MS-Based, etc).

    I've changed them and had no problems (which is weird because someone else stated that changing them will brick your GPS....but that's another subject), but I figure it's probably setup that way for a reason.

    The whole "dancing around" thing is pretty normal, especially if you have less sats. The more sats I have the less it seems to happen.
  7. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #87  
    These hacks were working terrifically for a week or two, but now my GPS sometimes doesn't work at all, with or without network. Simple rebooting doesn't help either. It just will kick in at some point. I have no idea why. What can I do to troubleshoot?
  8.    #88  
    Need more information.


    Have you tried any of these troubleshooting steps?
  9. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #89  
    Ebag--

    Thanks! I did...in fact, this morning, I did a hard reset, loading nothing new on the Treo, and was still finding that the GPS would not start properly. I did a Sprite restore from last night's backup, and then GPS worked for a bit, and quickly I might add, but then shortly thereafter it stopped again.

    Now when I talk about it not working, what I mean is I can open Google Maps, Live Search, or the built in Maps application, and it will just sit there trying to get a GPS position indefinitely. In Live Search it says "Getting position". In Google Maps it says something similar, but of course right now, it is working properly so I can't report on the exact message.

    It is just strange...
  10.    #90  
    What exactly did you enable when you did the GPS tweak?
  11. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #91  
    Ebag-

    I followed the instructions to the letter. So this morning, I am not able to use the GPS. In Google Maps it says "seeking GPS satellites(0)". If I disconnect the EVDO connection, it does NOT try dialing up to connect to the network, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
  12.    #92  
    As far as I can determine, this is the order in which the GPS methods are used:

    1) Cached Information
    2) Connection to the aGPS server
    3) Autonomous GPS methodology

    If the cached information is wrong, then it could cause the GPS to take an extended time to start up as the cached information has to fail before it will move on to other methods.

    Try going into the ##GPS# menu, and clearing all the cached GPS data. Do a soft reset before doing this, then try loading the GPS and see what happens.
  13. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #93  
    To delete the cached info, I go to the ##GPS# and then choose "delete modem data" -> all?
  14.    #94  
    Exactly.
  15. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #95  
    Tried this...no difference.
  16. #96  
    This sounds like what happened to me, same symptoms. Worked on it a few days, then went back in with QPST and found all of the correct boxes were not checked even though I know I checked them according to the instructions. Not sure what happened previously, but I rechecked the proper boxes under the GPS tab and it has been working great ever since.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    This sounds like what happened to me, same symptoms. Worked on it a few days, then went back in with QPST and found all of the correct boxes were not checked even though I know I checked them according to the instructions. Not sure what happened previously, but I rechecked the proper boxes under the GPS tab and it has been working great ever since.
    Good point jimh. Should have had him double check to start....doh!

    I always seem to skip the easiest possible solution, which is why I'll troubleshoot stuff for days when a soft reset/reboot takes care of it.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Good point jimh. Should have had him double check to start....doh!

    I always seem to skip the easiest possible solution, which is why I'll troubleshoot stuff for days when a soft reset/reboot takes care of it.
    Yep...

    I hate that...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  19. gjlowe's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #99  
    Thanks jimh2000...unfortunately, all of my boxes are still checked when I did a "read from phone".
  20.    #100  
    Screen shot of the GPS screen?

Posting Permissions