Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by amdxmania View Post
    i personally never had much problem locking the gps position. normally it takes me around 15 seconds w/out any thing =\

I guess I am lucky??
    You are probably closer to the aGPS server (time/latency wise, not distance).

Different apps will have different times as well. As I mentioned above, Palm's Map's app is faster than Google Maps.

For a lot of people, 15-30 seconds isn't that big a deal. In those cases, just let sleeping dogs lie.
    i personally never had much problem locking the gps position. normally it takes me around 15 seconds w/out any thing =\

I guess I am lucky??
    Same here. 5 second lock on my Mogul with the newest radio. My 800w is only slightly slower at about 15 seconds.

I guess I am lucky??
    same here, but this is faster than stock

more importantly, you lock on more satellites now which is good for accuracy and tracking purposes...basically it's a win-win with no side effects

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Ebag, you stud!

Awesome find, can't wait to try it out tonight (I need to get my MSL still). So tools like GetSPC won't work?
  5.    #25  
    I used my pESN (the 800w uses a psuedo ESN since it doesn't actually have an ESN but uses the MEID, for those that donlt know) but the MSL/SPC it gave me was not correct.

There are several progrags that are supposed to give you your MSL/SPC based on the MEID, but they are all limited (to a range that doesn't include where ours would be) or wouldn't run.

I'm curious to see what you find in QPST, zbop. Now that even Malatesta has found something, the bar is set pretty high.
    OMG it worked!

Never got more than 6 sats before but now I get 9!
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I used my pESN (the 800w uses a psuedo ESN since it doesn't actually have an ESN but uses the MEID, for those that donlt know) but the MSL/SPC it gave me was not correct.

There are several progrags that are supposed to give you your MSL/SPC based on the MEID, but they are all limited (to a range that doesn't include where ours would be) or wouldn't run.

I'm curious to see what you find in QPST, zbop. Now that even Malatesta has found something, the bar is set pretty high.
    Thanks, after I posted that I searched and yeah it seems like they don't work with the MEID. I also tried BAFMSL which is supposed to work with MEID's, but no dice. I simply called tech support and got it...

Don't sell Mal short, clearly he's got a few tricks up his sleeve, lol.

I'll play with it once I get a chance. Thanks again!

On occasion I've been known to drunkenly stumble upon a few nuggets. The key word there is "drunkenly", lol.

And yeah, curious as to what Zbop can find...lots of goodies in there.

Ok, while in the process of the second hardware installation someone called me. It was important so I had to answer the phone. After hanging up, the second hardware installation finished, but I never got a third one. (But, I do have 3 beezl things in my Device manager, two under ports, and one under modems). Anyway, running QPST Configuration, under Add Port, I have one port, but it doesn't say what it is. I added it anyhow. But, I show no active phones, nor is any of the ports active. QPST Service Programming gives me nothing at all.

I tried several soft resets, uninstalling the items in Device Manager, rebooting the Laptop, etc. but get nothing. Any ideas?
    Ok, nevermind what I wrote earlier. In Configuration, Add Port, there was a check box next to "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only". I unchecked that and there were several ports showing, but none had USB/QC beside them. So, I added them all. Then, on the main screen one of the ports said SURF6800.

After that everything else worked as stated.

Thanks ebag and Mal
    lol, no prob Malachi...

I have to admit, we didn't plan if you got a call during a QPST session...! Glad it worked out though.

Got a few minutes to play with this, very cool stuff... But I have to wonder if the GPS settings are having any effect at all.

I've tried numerous settings and haven't noticed a change in fix time or number of satellites, although I really didn't expect to see much difference; my fix times are usually pretty consistent and my signal at home is pretty good.

As a control measure, I unchecked ALL of the boxes including the default and then wrote the changes to the phone. I expected my GPS to stop working at that point, but oddly enough my GPS got a fix immediately

Ebag, any chance we don't have the necessary support in the firmware so that QPST can modify the gpsOne settings? I'm thinking Palm may have intentionally disabled this or simply neglected to include support for it.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Got a few minutes to play with this, very cool stuff... But I have to wonder if the GPS settings are having any effect at all.

I've tried numerous settings and haven't noticed a change in fix time or number of satellites, although I really didn't expect to see much difference; my fix times are usually pretty consistent and my signal at home is pretty good.

As a control measure, I unchecked ALL of the boxes including the default and then wrote the changes to the phone. I expected my GPS to stop working at that point, but oddly enough my GPS got a fix immediately

Ebag, any chance we don't have the necessary support in the firmware so that QPST can modify the gpsOne settings? I'm thinking Palm may have intentionally disabled this or simply neglected to include support for it.
    For your control, you could delete the data in ##GPS#. I never tested it with gpsONE disabled.

I don't believe that disabling gpsONE will disable a/GPS. As I understand it, gpsONE is above and beyond aGPS, the phone can still use MS-Based or MS-Assisted modes (both are aGPS).

For my control I ran GPS three times in a row, and each time it took 1.5-2 minutes (from inside my house, as I mentioned I have poor sat reception here) and picked up from 3-6 sats right away. Same exact location/positioning of the phone, all three after a soft reset.

After enabling these, I tested it three times and had it pick up the sats around 10 seconds (9 seconds, 10 seconds, and 15 seconds). After enabling I went up to 9 to 11 sats. Same exact location/positioning of the phone, all three after a soft reset.

Additionally the seat of the pants tests of driving around town show consistently more accurate GPS (as I said before went from 30-100 feet of "lag" to 0-40 feet of "lag"), and 2-3 more sats. Typically I was 7-9 says, now I am 9-11 sats.

I have no idea why your results aren't the same as mine. (Are you sure you wrote the settings to the phone?)

I haven't gone back to see what this would do. I may try that, and see what effect it has.
    For your control, you could delete the data in ##GPS#. I never tested it with gpsONE disabled.

I don't believe that disabling gpsONE will disable a/GPS. As I understand it, gpsONE is above and beyond aGPS, the phone can still use MS-Based or MS-Assisted modes (both are aGPS).

For my control I ran GPS three times in a row, and each time it took 1.5-2 minutes (from inside my house, as I mentioned I have poor sat reception here) and picked up from 3-6 sats right away. Same exact location/positioning of the phone, all three after a soft reset.

After enabling these, I tested it three times and had it pick up the sats around 10 seconds (9 seconds, 10 seconds, and 15 seconds). After enabling I went up to 9 to 11 sats. Same exact location/positioning of the phone, all three after a soft reset.

Additionally the seat of the pants tests of driving around town show consistently more accurate GPS (as I said before went from 30-100 feet of "lag" to 0-40 feet of "lag"), and 2-3 more sats. Typically I was 7-9 says, now I am 9-11 sats.

I have no idea why your results aren't the same as mine. (Are you sure you wrote the settings to the phone?)

I haven't gone back to see what this would do. I may try that, and see what effect it has.
    I tested quite a few configurations, always writing to the phone, then doing a soft reset, then moving my phone to the same location in my house, then timing the length to get the fix. It's 20-30 seconds every time using GPS Utilities and I always have between 7-10 sats. It varies, but it will also vary between reboots at different times with the exact same settings in the exact same location.

Sorry I wasn't referring to a specifically disabling gpsOne, just disabling all of the available options in the gpsOne tab. I was just looking for some method of determining if the changes were having any effect. Thanks, I'll play with this some more...
  15.    #35  
    I tested quite a few configurations, always writing to the phone, then doing a soft reset, then moving my phone to the same location in my house, then timing the length to get the fix. It's 20-30 seconds every time using GPS Utilities and I always have between 7-10 sats. It varies, but it will also vary between reboots at different times with the exact same settings in the exact same location.

Sorry I wasn't referring to a specifically disabling gpsOne, just disabling all of the available options in the gpsOne tab. I was just looking for some method of determining if the changes were having any effect. Thanks, I'll play with this some more...
    Yeah, I know that it varies but never to the extent that I've seen after enabling the options.

From my test location in my house, I've probably tested GPS 30 times if once, as I've played with the various registry settings, dll's, programs, etc etc etc. The results were surprisingly consistent, always getting around 1.5-2 minutes to get the initial locks, etc etc etc.

Are you using the same version of QPST that I am? Either way, let me know what you figure out.
    I am using QPST version 2.7 build 264.

Yeah, it could be that the GPS prog I am using is unusually thorough or slow in it's initialization. FWIW, I tested it using google maps (after soft-reset) and I would get a fix in ~10 seconds. But then again, this happened with the recommended settings, and without any of the boxes checked.

Or it could be that I need to hard reset first before modifying the GPS settings to see the difference, or it could be that the location I'm in can't benefit from the changes. In any case, it wasn't my intent to come in and play the skeptic, I was simply trying to methodically test the difference, just the way I roll ... If you're getting good results with it, that's great.

BTW, there are numerous settings to change the headset volume, D/A volume, and other audio settings. Unfortunately, none of them seemed to change the base value of the volume.
  17.    #37  
    Or it could be that I need to hard reset first before modifying the GPS settings to see the difference, or it could be that the location I'm in can't benefit from the changes. In any case, it wasn't my intent to come in and play the skeptic, I was simply trying to methodically test the difference, just the way I roll ... If you're getting good results with it, that's great.
    I'm not questioning your results, or your methods, honest.

Truth be told, I questioned myself as I figured this hack out at 3 am on a sleepless night. NOT exactly the best time to be working with QPST....but that's just the way I roll.

Heck, I didn't even add it to the FAQ until someone I knew I could trust double checked it. (You, Hannip, or Mal were the top three on my mental list.) And of course now you are making me question my work....

In all seriousness though, if you're already getting ~15 seconds for acquisition I don't think you'll notice a difference with this hack. It certainly helped me, and seems to have helped others, but given the vagaries of GPS coverage, distance (both physical and time wise) from you to Sprints aGPS server, line of sight, etc etc etc, then this may not help.

It's probably something that's useful regardless, as conditions are not always optimal.

Speaking of which, I wonder if I can start GPS off network. I'm actually going to be headed out of coverage tonight, so I'll try and remember to test this, along with soft resetting and initializing GPS off network.

Maybe, just maybe, with these changes we can initialize GPS as long as we have a cellular signal. Now to clarify before this thread turns into yet another GPS flame war...this would not be true complete standalone, but it would (IF it works) allow you to use GPS where you had a signal, or possibly start it up off Sprint's network if you forgot to initialize it on network.

As I said, I'll test this out tonight....

BTW, there are numerous settings to change the headset volume, D/A volume, and other audio settings. Unfortunately, none of them seemed to change the base value of the volume.
    Yup, already tried this (as I commented above).

I believe it's because Palm does their own thing (as they often do) with volume. You can see this with the way they handle ring tones (known/unknown caller, look in the registry at those settings, same level as the attenuation settings).

On one hand, it's often a good thing because Palm generally does an excellent job of improving the bits and pieces in WM.

On the other hand, it's not "standard".

On the other other hand, sometimes that's a good thing.
    Yup, already tried this (as I commented above).
    Ahhh, I missed your comment about the volume, would have saved me a lot of time, lol.

I believe it's because Palm does their own thing (as they often do) with volume. You can see this with the way they handle ring tones (known/unknown caller, look in the registry at those settings, same level as the attenuation settings).

On one hand, it's often a good thing because Palm generally does an excellent job of improving the bits and pieces in WM.

On the other hand, it's not "standard".

On the other other hand, sometimes that's a good thing.
    Exactly! The fact that Palm does not do things in a standard way is sorta what makes me question the GPS settings. Many hacks that work with a variety of HTC phones, never seem to work on Palm phones because they just haaaaaavve to do things differently, oh well.
  19.    #39  
    Exactly! The fact that Palm does not do things in a standard way is sorta what makes me question the GPS settings. Many hacks that work with a variety of HTC phones, never seem to work on Palm phones because they just haaaaaavve to do things differently, oh well.
    That's probably why (or at least part of the reason why) the 800w doesn't have gpsONE on it.

But this seems to enable additional base functionality, outside of what Palm has done with GPS. As honestly, the GPS is actually very standardized, I expected it to be much less so. Most (all? can't remember offhand) of the GPS drivers appear to be standard.

My best guess is the 800w is one of those pesky transition devices. Where gpsONE is there, but wasn't completely implemented when the phone was released. Similar to the Mogul with Rev A.

Palm/Sprint would have in no way wanted to delay the 800w any more than it already was (given that it was 6-9 months delayed as it was), and if adding full gpsONE support meant that another 3 month delay was needed (not to mention the cost of licensing that), then it would not have happened.

While the lack of gpsONE makes sense on several fronts, the boxes for the onboard stored data not being checked is a bit puzzling to me however. There may be a reason why Palm did not have these checked (as I mentioned for Verizon last year they would not have wanted this enabled), or it may have simply been missed.

Either way it seems that the phone is now using the onboard stored data, rather than hitting the aGPS server every time. Of course if (as in your case, and a few others) your time was only 15 seconds (lucky bastages!), then this simply isn't a big change for you....
  20.    #40  
    Speaking of which, I wonder if I can start GPS off network. I'm actually going to be headed out of coverage tonight, so I'll try and remember to test this, along with soft resetting and initializing GPS off network.
    Well, I tested this out. Sorta.

(Notice the lack of Sprint and the triangle?)

And....he shoots! He scores!

So what I did to test this. Keep in mind that previously, none of these tests work.

Test 1:
    I had left Sprint's network without GPS running. While roaming I started GPS. I did not soft reset the phone.

Result: No problems initializing GPS.

Test 2:
    Soft reset. Initialize GPS.

Result: No problems initializing GPS.

Test 3:
    Mimic no signal by locking phone to home network only (no roaming). Soft reset. Initialize GPS.

Result: GPS failed to initialize.

Now test 3 I actually do not consider valid, because my phone did not seem to work properly after switching the roaming method. Additionally, something I did or installed has screwed with the roaming lists, and it doesn't show the normal options of Home Network Only, Roaming Only, or Both (Or whatever the options are, I forget exactly). Instead it says Home, Automatic A, Automatic B.

Additionally where data worked for me on roaming before, now it suddenly wouldn't work.

I did recently install the .NET mobile framework, which I've always hated because it's caused weird issues for me in the past. I've also installed a *LOT* of various programs that didn't work right. So I very well have screwed that up.

Guess another hard reset is in order for me.....

I still need to test what happens if you have no service and start up GPS (but didn't soft reset after leaving Sprint's network), and redo test #3. I'll need to hard reset before then though....

BUT, the big conclusion is that where I could previously not initialize GPS, I now can. It's only a single test and so is in no way, shape, or form definitive, but it's certainly an indicator that GPS will initialize off a roaming network where it would not before.

That's a huge step forward, as it massively increases the area where you can initialize GPS.

I do need to test this further (or if someone else wants to test it.... ) before I call this conclusive, but the results are extremely interesting.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast