1.    #1  
    am decided to buy a program to tether using my phone. what program should i buy or use.
    No need to buy a program. Windows Mobile 6.1 has a built in program called Internet Sharing. In order for it to work on a Sprint 800w you have to make a simple change to the registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension"

Rename it to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
    "Extension2"

Could not be any easier.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3.    #3  
    a program to edit the register?
    Here is a free program
    http://www.ghisler.com/pocketpc.htm

I prefer Resco Explorer
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I use phm regedit, which is also free.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    WMWifiRouter is the route all the folks with money burning a hole in their pocket went.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hi, if you make this reg setting, will you still be able to receive calls and talk one the phone without breaking your connection to the internet on your laptop?
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
    Hi, if you make this reg setting, will you still be able to receive calls and talk one the phone without breaking your connection to the internet on your laptop?
    It wont *break* your connection to your laptop or to the Internet but it will pause it. As soon as you hang up the phone everything resumes as normal.

The same thing would happen using WiFi Router or PDA Net as well.
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    WMWifiRouter is a nice program and cheaper than what I've paid for PDAnet in the past. I guess it depends on what the end user would prefer:

Free = Tethered (wired) connection or
    ~$20 = mobile WiFi hotspot
    Actually no need for a free connection to be wired. These devices have blue tooth and the free program supports it nicely
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I like WMwifirouter. It suck all battery even when you had it plug in when you do Wifi. So for extended use, I just plug it thru USB.

I also like it because my client PC or Laptop does not need to install any software like PDAnet.
    WMwifirouter is nice option for those who don't have BT compatible computer or if you wanted to share your internet connection via multiple computers. But since it uses wifi it sucks the Treo's battery dry very quickly. The internet sharing hack is free and you can tether it via BT which is less battery intensive...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    where do i find the registry key?
    Okay I have really tried but I can't get to the " Extension" part.
    I am using Total Comander since the other program won't seem to download on my 800w. Is there anyone willing to do a step by step so I can change my registry and use my 800W with my laptop?
    Very new at this and checked every thread I could thanks everyone.
    Once you have Total Commander installed, this worked for me...

Go to Programs and Total Commander on your PDA
    Type \\\ in the address bar and hit the enter key
    that will give you three folders as follows:

ftp
    LAN
    registry

1. Double-click on the registry folder
    2. Then HKLM - Comm - InternetSharing
    3. Rename the Extension file to Extension2
    That's all there is to it. You should be able to use Internet Connection Sharing
    Last edited by joeyc990; 02/10/2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to put some information in post