Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any Treo Pro owners want to help us out with a performance comparison?

It involves installing a (free) benchmark and running this on your Treo Pro, should take about 30 minutes or so.

See this thread for details:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174911

Thanks.
    Any Treo Pro owner running this test would want to try the test with ClerType off. Given the 800w has it off by default. That way the results are comparing two devices with more similar configurations.

Or provide results with both ClearType off and on .
  3.    #3  
    As the saying goes, if you want something done...

I ran SPB benchmark on my Sprint Treo Pro to get the numbers. This is on a stock setup, freshly hard reset and with the phone radio turned off (and 1.04 firmware) . And yeah I turned cleartype off, lol.

Sprint Treo Pro vs. Treo 800w

The IE tests errored out, but I'm sure that's because of IE6. I would be willing to bet the 800w is faster in that category though. Overall, pretty good numbers.
    I have had both. The 800 surfs faster and does full screen on net. There is a program floating here to sort of roll back to the pie from the wm6 and flip back and forth. Battery is twice as good on pro
    Quote Originally Posted by elgorrion View Post
    I have had both. The 800 surfs faster and does full screen on net. There is a program floating here to sort of roll back to the pie from the wm6 and flip back and forth. Battery is twice as good on pro
    You can full screen on the Pro with the standard IE6 as well. Just click menu-view-full screen. If you want to go back to windows view, press and hold on the screen (right click, whatever you call it) and uncheck full screen.

I never had an 800, so I can't specifically comment on internet speed, but the Evdo Rev A on this Treo Pro set on DESKTOP blows my Centro set on Mobile out of the water. HUGE difference. The WiFi adds probably 30-40% speed to normal browsing, and doubles download speeds(this is obviously just guesstimated numbers based on use). My Centro I would put down and come back to when downloading anything larger than 600kb. 3mb files probably took minutes on my Centro, and it seems like it only takes 30 seconds on the Pro with WIFI turned OFF.

I am satisfied, I just wish the battery was a smidge better, and Microsoft fixed a few of the annoying bugs, but every smartphone is a trade off, and this Pro is the closest thing to perfect for me.
    i should have never read this thread
    Thank you zbop!!!

After all the pleading and begging, someone finally ran the test!!!

Looking at the results compared with the old 800w and Sprint Touch Pro results, the Sprint Treo Pro blows the doors off even the Touch Pro! I thought perhaps the smaller screen might result in less stress on device resources, but WOW, benchmark wise you've got the new king of the hill as far as Sprint devices is concerned.

Congratulations.

And with the Touch Pro 2 likely having the same processor with an even bigger screen, you'll likely have the top spot with Sprint for maybe even over a year!

If you want to make a chart of Sprint 800w, Touch Pro and Treo Pro together and need my old Touch Pro xml results file let me know and I'll send it to you.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by garlic View Post
    i should have never read this thread
    I have an 800w, and although there are many things I can gripe about, performance has never been one of them. If you browse the 800w forum, you'll find few, if any, complaints about the speed of the device.

Speaking subjectively, the performance of these devices feel similar, regardless of the benchmarks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I have an 800w, and although there are many things I can gripe about, performance has never been one of them. If you browse the 800w forum, you'll find few, if any, complaints about the speed of the device.

Speaking subjectively, the performance of these devices feel similar, regardless of the benchmarks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Depends what a given user is doing. For me, I needed the extra horses, because the 800w was falling down trying to do what I wanted to do.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Depends what a given user is doing. For me, I needed the extra horses, because the 800w was falling down trying to do what I wanted to do.
    Really? I haven't had a case where the 800w fell down...

Or are you referring specifically to multitasking perhaps? i.e. using GPS and other apps at the same time?
  11.    #11  
    BTW, I'll see if I can dig up that xml file you sent me for the Touch Pro and post the chart later tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Really? I haven't had a case where the 800w fell down...

Or are you referring specifically to multitasking perhaps? i.e. using GPS and other apps at the same time?
    It was really bad with certain multitasking, that my Touch Pro and I figure the Treo Pro can handle better. But even extended use of some applications was an issue. The old 800ws just didn't hold up as stable. But what do I know, I only had 2 .
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It was really bad with certain multitasking, that my Touch Pro and I figure the Treo Pro can handle better. But even extended use of some applications was an issue. The old 800ws just didn't hold up as stable. But what do I know, I only had 2 .
    Fair enough... I'm not saying you didn't have performance issues, just saying that I'm surprised because I never ran into any, the 800w always felt snappy to me. Our usage patterns and software could be different enough that we have a different impression.
  14.    #14  
    And finally, here are the 800w/Treo Pro/Touch Pro results:

(Touch Pro results courtesy of Darnell)
    Mercy! Add more memory to the Treo Pro and that would be a killer machine.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Now we just need to add the GSM Treo Pro to that table
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Now we just need to add the GSM Treo Pro to that table
    We do have some GSM Treo Pro numbers courtesy of a Pocketnow.com article.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Will the benchmark results be the same every time you do the test? or does it change the same way it would change when you're trying to figure out how fast your internet speeds are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashok View Post
    Will the benchmark results be the same every time you do the test? or does it change the same way it would change when you're trying to figure out how fast your internet speeds are?
    They will change to a degree, but no where near the amount an internet speed test will. Assuming all tests are done after a hard reset, as soon as the device boots, and all are done while the device is "cold" (hasn't been on for awhile), the numbers will be relatively stagnant. You will have some slight variations here and there, but nothing that would make a noticeable difference. At least, that's how it is/was with PCs, and I don't think smart phones are all that different anymore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast