Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21  
    Using the instructions in the initial post in this thread as a guide, I've performed the benchmark tests on my less than 24 hours old Sprint HTC Touch Pro.

    The results are in the attached file.

    Since the Touch Pro uses Opera Mobile as the default web browser, the Pocket Internet Explorer tests failed. (Sorry, I'm not going to re-run the tests with the device configured to use Pocket Internet Explorer by default. I'll leave that to another Touch Pro owner if someone else desires to do the tests.)

    In the attached file, the 2nd column of results is the Sprint HTC Touch Pro's default (stock) configuration. Touch Flo 3D on and ClearType on. The 1st column is where I ran the tests with Touch Flo 3D off and ClearType off for comparison. (Most other WM devices don't have Touch Flo 3D and have ClearType off by default.) Interestingly enough, the overall score (Spb Benchmark Index) was higher with Touch Flo 3D on and ClearType on. The differences in results are not very big, but the Internal database read results were rather different. Overall though, the Sprint HTC Touch Pro scores are similar regardless of how Touch Flo 3D and ClearType are configured.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #22  
    Thanks Darnell! So are you making the switch, or just in evaluate mode right now?

    I found some Treo Pro numbers that I'll post in a sec.
  3.    #23  
    Darnell, I uploaded your numbers so they could be inlined...

  4.    #24  
    And here are some benchmark numbers on the Treo Pro, relative to 800w and Touch Pro (summary only, no detail).


    Overall index:



    CPU index:



    Link to article on Pocketnow.

    The Touch Pro clearly has the edge in raw CPU power, and the Treo Pro is only marginally slower than the 800w.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    The Touch Pro clearly has the edge in raw CPU power, and the Treo Pro is only marginally slower than the 800w.
    That's still rather curious given the Treo Pro has the faster CPU.


    Did anyone look at those results and think: "Daaaang, I need me an Epix!"
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Thanks Darnell! So are you making the switch, or just in evaluate mode right now?

    I found some Treo Pro numbers that I'll post in a sec.
    Well my 800w days are done for certain. My Palm days are likely done for certain. Treo 300 -> 600 -> 650 -> 800w and that's where the Treo train will have to end for me. Rarely does anyone use the same model of a piece of equipment their entire life, so it's just time for me to move on. (That does not mean I'll be totally leaving these forums though . )

    Unless this thing (Touch Pro) starts acting up in the next 29 days it's a definite switch. I've taken enough time to research and I'm pleased to now have the Touch Pro in my hands. I certainly will never buy a smart phone day one again. Much better to sit back and watch for a while and study how things develop. I have not installed TouchPal yet, but the provided soft keyboards have been working OK for me so far. I'm only using the slider for long typing, but going to try and covert to using TouchPal for all text once I've got it installed. The provided on screen keyboards are working better for me than I thought they would. I figure even of the "stuff not yet known", the MASS of 3rd party support for the Touch Pro provides a great cushion. I can't even keep up with conversations over at PPCGeeks, because there's so much action. I'm finding plenty of tips, it will take me probably weeks to try all the ones I still want to do.

    I never knew of HTC till the Mogul converts to the 800w started talking here in these forums. In hindsight, I probably should have moved from the T650 to the Mogul after it's ROM updates and from there to the Touch Pro. But I was so deep mentally in "Palm land" I literally didn't know of HTC till more recently. I was just waiting for Palm to make a device with WiFi with WM and was totally missing what others were producing. I had become very used to Palm always making devices with the newest features first, to the point I was not even trying to see if anyone else was doing anything. (My bad, live and learn.) But now that I'm off Palm OS and onto WM, I've got a lot of options to keep in mind when making choices.

    Thanks for embedding the Touch Pro results in a post.
  7. #27  
    Samsung is nailing performance lately.

    The Omnia, DivX certified...Darnell, you should like that :-P, and Epix both have good raw CPU power, decent battery life and great graphics support.

    Dunno what they are doing but it works.

    At least we know the differences in Treo Pro and 800w are real. Now for the CDMA versions, which will be real interesting as the GSM ones are always reportedly laggy.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    That's still rather curious given the Treo Pro has the faster CPU.


    Did anyone look at those results and think: "Daaaang, I need me an Epix!"
    Yeah, but we all know that CPU speed is not the only factor, different processor altogether. These results are consistent with users seat-o-the-pants impressions.

    Epix looks nice, but Sprint plans can't be beat (unfortunately).
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

    The Omnia, DivX certified...Darnell, you should like that :-P,
    I'm sure Charles (of that company that starts with "K", which I won't spell outright, lest he come and start that old video format debate again ) would love to hear that .

    Given the fees with other carriers would equate to buying these devices several times over, I can live with what Sprint has to offer for now . There's that combination of features and price to consider. We all want the best, but not as bad as AT&T is selling it for .
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well my 800w days are done for certain. My Palm days are likely done for certain. Treo 300 -> 600 -> 650 -> 800w and that's where the Treo train will have to end for me. Rarely does anyone use the same model of a piece of equipment their entire life, so it's just time for me to move on. (That does not mean I'll be totally leaving these forums though . )

    Unless this thing (Touch Pro) starts acting up in the next 29 days it's a definite switch. I've taken enough time to research and I'm pleased to now have the Touch Pro in my hands. I certainly will never buy a smart phone day one again. Much better to sit back and watch for a while and study how things develop. I have not installed TouchPal yet, but the provided soft keyboards have been working OK for me so far. I'm only using the slider for long typing, but going to try and covert to using TouchPal for all text once I've got it installed. The provided on screen keyboards are working better for me than I thought they would. I figure even of the "stuff not yet known", the MASS of 3rd party support for the Touch Pro provides a great cushion. I can't even keep up with conversations over at PPCGeeks, because there's so much action. I'm finding plenty of tips, it will take me probably weeks to try all the ones I still want to do.

    I never knew of HTC till the Mogul converts to the 800w started talking here in these forums. In hindsight, I probably should have moved from the T650 to the Mogul after it's ROM updates and from there to the Touch Pro. But I was so deep mentally in "Palm land" I literally didn't know of HTC till more recently. I was just waiting for Palm to make a device with WiFi with WM and was totally missing what others were producing. I had become very used to Palm always making devices with the newest features first, to the point I was not even trying to see if anyone else was doing anything. (My bad, live and learn.) But now that I'm off Palm OS and onto WM, I've got a lot of options to keep in mind when making choices.

    Thanks for embedding the Touch Pro results in a post.
    Cool, hope it works for you.

    Please update us with your progress and impressions, it serves as useful feedback for those of us on the fence.

    I never buy on day 1, and I only paid $160 for my 800w (new) so I can't really complain. Since getting my replacement, the phone has been much more reliable, so I think my first 800w was a lemon. I'm inclined to keep it at this point.

    You spot-on about the developer support though. It's tempting based on that alone. But then again, how many different 'teeter' type games do you need?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I never buy on day 1, and I only paid $160 for my 800w (new) so I can't really complain. Since getting my replacement, the phone has been much more reliable, so I think my first 800w was a lemon. I'm inclined to keep it at this point.
    Just curious (mostly about your new one), but have you done all the patches/fixes/etc? Noticed a difference from them?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Please update us with your progress and impressions, it serves as useful feedback for those of us on the fence.
    I'll do that on the 800w vs. Touch Pro thread, to avoid this one getting too "controversial" .
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Just curious (mostly about your new one), but have you done all the patches/fixes/etc? Noticed a difference from them?
    For both my 800ws, I installed the two Palm patches (are there more?) and ran them for at least 1 week on stock configuration and only synced contacts/appts, and then used it as I normally would.

    In general, many of my issues seem to be radio-related and it doesn't seem nearly as bad with my replacement 800w. I've since reloaded all my apps and hacks and it still seems to be pretty solid.
  14.    #34  
    Here are the 800w numbers and Touch Pro numbers in chart form (easier to compare).

  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    For both my 800ws, I installed the two Palm patches (are there more?) and ran them for at least 1 week on stock configuration and only synced contacts/appts, and then used it as I normally would.

    In general, many of my issues seem to be radio-related and it doesn't seem nearly as bad with my replacement 800w. I've since reloaded all my apps and hacks and it still seems to be pretty solid.
    Are there more?

    You know nothing about me!

    (And obviously haven't read the FAQ. )
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions