1.    #1  
    All, I love my Treo 750 - and one thing that keeps me with the platform is the awesome bluetooth tethering. I'm a consultant, and I am frequently in areas where I need to get online away from wifi points which is awesome - all the more so in 3G areas. Bluetooth tethering is quite stable and reliable - much more reliable than the flaky USB connector.

Anyway - my question - here's the thing - I don't pay for AT&T's special "tethering" plan. I do pay 40 dollars/month for my data plan (iphone users you suck! - they have a 30 dollar plan - it used to be 20).

What limitations does my tethering plan have? download caps etc? (none observed yet). What would I gain if I pay for the more expensive plan?

Anyone have any ideas?
    From my understanding there isn't any difference in the tethering plan and the data plan for your 750 as far as caps. They know you will download more when connected to a pc versus just looking at items on i.e. via the 750 so they charge more. I'm doing the same as you with the tethering on my data plan and have not seen any increase in my bill either
    That is very strange as I often tether w/my Treo pro as well and I have not gotten extra-billed for doing so. I do not do it sutained altough, only like for 30mts or so just to play around w/my laptop when away from my home's wi-fi connection.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    Okay, here's a few facts. Unlimited data plans all connect you to the same internet. Lately AT&T is limiting the isp.cingular access point to those with tethering plans as a way to manage their bandwidth. The other data plans are now limited to the wap.cingular access point (which uses a proxy server and is often referred to as MediaNet). Legacy data plans do not have these restrictions.

So, how come you can tether you ask. Well it's not because AT&T cannot track you -- they can. It's more likely that they are just monitoring data usage since determining data access used for internet on a phone versus tethering is not an exact science plus they just cannot constantly monitor everyone. You must not be using an abnormal amount of bandwidth and therefore are not raising any red flags. Many folks (myself included) will occasionally tether. What they are looking for is those who tether as their primary internet access.

If they catch you it may result in a big bill so my advise is tether only when you must and don't do things that consume bandwidth (like watch streaming videos).
    jwebb56 great post! Thanks.

As I understand it your unlimited internet package is still limited in a way. If you go over 5GB in one month it sends a red flad to AT&T and they either charge you for your overage or begin to keep an eye on you for tethering. At least that is what I read on the AT&T forums.
    I am going to go ahead and post here my question since it is relevant to this conversation.

I have recently read how AT&T has been trying to track and charge folks for tethering. I don't suspect I will be doing much tethering but when I do I don't want to be surprised with a huge bill from AT&T which has happened many times before.

I was looking at an application called Walking Hotspot. Essentially it uses the WiFi capabilities of a cell phone to create a WiFi hotspot on the phone so that laptops and PCs can connect to the internet using WiFi and the cell phone's unlimited internet access. From what I read of users it is supposed to mask the use from AT&T so they can not detect tethering since it uses WiFi and not ICS. But I don't know enough about that to be certain it is true. I thought just the cell phone usage would set off the red flag for them regardles of how the laptops are connecting.

I sent the software company a question on using the Treo 750 with the Spectec WiFi card to connect with the laptop. I am still waiting for a reply. The Treo 750 is not listed as a supported phone but that may be because it does not come with WiFi built in.

Is any one familiar with this program or the technology behind it to tell me if it is true that using WiFi will not flag the account for the carrier?