1.    #1  
    Today a colleague of mine showed me his spanking new iPhone 3G and I decided to see what speeds he was getting according to mobilespeedtest.com
    Both of us are using the same Telco and have the same data plan.
    At exactly the same spot he clocked 588 kbps whereas my Treo Pro could only get a paltry 230 kbps
    The area is supposed to be HSDPA coverage but in actual fact I have never been able to get above 400 kbps.

Is it because PIE is slowing something down? Is there any setting in the Phone (my Band settings are all set to Automatic in Settings/Phone) to tweak the speed - e.g. some registry setting?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Maybe you have HSUPA support disabled. It can be modified with Advanced configuration tool.

Activate it and test, and later request your friend to send you a file over bluetooth...
  3. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Maybe you have HSUPA support disabled. It can be modified with Advanced configuration tool.
    HSUPA only affects upload speeds so won't make any difference.
    Activate it and test, and later request your friend to send you a file over bluetooth...
    Or forward you an SMS, or copy & paste his test results into an email/SMS/MMS, or take a video of the whole proceedings... etc.
    Personally I don't get the obsession with download speeds (or CPU MHz). It's the real world functionality that counts and IME that's where iPhone users get seriously short-changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    HSUPA only affects upload speeds so won't make any difference.
    That's right, in theory, but I checked my connection speed before and after of activating HSUPA and it gave me two results too different. Maybe simply different luck on node load, but the results was there...

Or forward you an SMS, or copy & paste his test results into an email/SMS/MMS, or take a video of the whole proceedings... etc.
    Personally I don't get the obsession with download speeds (or CPU MHz). It's the real world functionality that counts and IME that's where iPhone users get seriously short-changed.
    Of course, but they are looking who has the biggest ****, so let them get it done...
  5. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    That's right, in theory, but I checked my connection speed before and after of activating HSUPA and it gave me two results too different. Maybe simply different luck on node load, but the results was there...
    Interesting...

Of course, but they are looking who has the biggest ****, so let them get it done...
    ROFLMAO!

Mind you, based purely on my subjective assessment on how many people I see with playing theirs in public or at the office, I'd say the iPhone's more of a girl thing. Though I've yet to see anyone else with a TP...
    Last edited by Me2; 12/19/2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Mind you, based purely on my subjective assessment on how many people I see with playing theirs in public or at the office, I'd say the iPhone's more of a girl thing. Though I've yet to see anyone else with a TP...
    Not in Spain, dude. Here Apple it's catching all the "watch this awesome Nokia Scirocco, it slides!!!" people and converting them to "the iPhone is the best phone I've ever seen... it has Google Maps!!!". It's funny to see...
  7. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    palmdoc, in my experience dslreports & other such speed test sites only give accurate readings when you tether.

It is however not bad for a ballpark. I am surprised that both of you are getting such low speeds. Around my area it is usually 800+ kbits/s
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Today a colleague of mine showed me his spanking new iPhone 3G and I decided to see what speeds he was getting according to mobilespeedtest.com
    Both of us are using the same Telco and have the same data plan.
    At exactly the same spot he clocked 588 kbps whereas my Treo Pro could only get a paltry 230 kbps
    The area is supposed to be HSDPA coverage but in actual fact I have never been able to get above 400 kbps.

Is it because PIE is slowing something down? Is there any setting in the Phone (my Band settings are all set to Automatic in Settings/Phone) to tweak the speed - e.g. some registry setting?
    I do think a lot of that is probably PIE. I typically get 300-400 kbps faster times using Iris on the 1 meg mobile speed test site than I do with PIE. But even so, mobile speeds can vary a lot within a short span of time. You'd really need to keep whipping your rulers out and measuring yourselves a few times again and again to be sure.

Where is the setting? Tried to find it using Advanced Configuration but could not find it. Any other settings that are useful using that tool?
    Laissez Faire
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Where is the setting? Tried to find it using Advanced Configuration but could not find it. Any other settings that are useful using that tool?
    Couldn't find it either. There was a setting to increase the TCP Window size from 65536 to 98304 but I dunno if it really made it significantly faster
    Really need to show the iPhone guy that mine's bigger, er faster.

Btw, if you are in HSDPA coverage, shouldn't the network icon show H instead of 3G?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Couldn't find it either. There was a setting to increase the TCP Window size from 65536 to 98304 but I dunno if it really made it significantly faster
    Really need to show the iPhone guy that mine's bigger, er faster.

Btw, if you are in HSDPA coverage, shouldn't the network icon show H instead of 3G?
    It's under Data Connections: HSUPA support

And yes, in HSDPA the phone must show H.
    It is not on mine; version 3.3. I see it on
    http://julien.schapman.free.fr/touch...ation-tool.php
    but this is labeled 3.2. Any information?
    Laissez Faire
  13.    #13  
    Not on mine either - v 3.3
    There is an enable/disable HSDPA icon option
    I hate that they use the term 3G. It sounds like it will be a 3GB download rate, when 3G actually stands for 3rd Generation