Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Seven WM phones above the iPhone. Take that, Gaypple fanboys.
    I don't think you're counting that right. Even by Malatesta's original list, the iPhone is tied at the #7 spot. There are only 6 spots above the iPhone, so there is no way that there can be 7 of anything above it. Note that the original list is not ordered the way Malatesta posted. And even if it were, it is obvious that spots 7 through 11 are tied.

By twisting the facts and calling them names you are just as bad of a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Thanks. Not that I favor one particular phone over another, but it seems like this is a smartphone smackdown that ranks them mostly on non-smartphone attributes.

Using the same criteria, any flip-phone would probably spank all the smartphones listed (based on ease of use, cost and talk time). But then again CR always catered to the "just tell me what to buy" crowd.
    When rating a luxury car you have to rate the basic features and the luxury features. You wouldn't ignore how smooth/rough the car is driven just because even economy cars can be driven.

You are right about the last part. But it's not like they can cater to the knowledgeable crowd. After-all, the techie crowd would probably rate the device on their own rather than go to Consumer Reports or CNET to tell them what features are good and bad.
    Last edited by tli415; 12/19/2008 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    When rating a luxury car you have to rate the basic features and the luxury features. You wouldn't ignore how smooth/rough the car is driven just because even economy cars can be driven.

You are right about the last part. But it's not like they can cater to the knowledgeable crowd. After-all, the techie crowd would probably rate the device on their own rather than go to Consumer Reports or CNET to tell them what features are good and bad.
    I wasn't suggesting that you ignore the basics, it is first and foremost a phone. I'm saying you have to look at both.

What makes the smartphone playing field interesting, and what many of us base our decisions on, is in the differentiation. How is the browsing experience, quality of email implementation, screen size and resolution, Wifi, 3G speeds, turn-by-turn navigation, tethering capability, built-in multimedia support, cost of unlimited data plans, on an on... Like I said, it's hard to tell without seeing the full content, but it's hard to put much stock in the rankings when it seems to ignore the "stuff" that makes a smartphone a smartphone.

Anyways, I don't want to belabor the point; CR is a tool, use it as you see fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    CR is a tool, use it as you see fit.
    Agreed.

It is interesting to me that many of the devices scored poorly in one area or another. The Treo's (all of them, really) pretty much scored well across the board, but didn't excel in one area or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    I don't think you're counting that right. Even by Malatesta's original list, the iPhone is tied at the #7 spot. There are only 6 spots above the iPhone, so there is no way that there can be 7 of anything above it. Note that the original list is not ordered the way Malatesta posted. And even if it were, it is obvious that spots 7 through 11 are tied.

By twisting the facts and calling them names you are just as bad of a fanboy.
    Chill out. I just looked at the order it was listed in.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Just makes me love my 800w that much more... very happy with my phone!!!
    im with u on that...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12