Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    So I just sold my Treo 800w on Craig's list. The guy calls up and says that he took the battery out and when he put it back it, it's stuck on the Palm screen. I had him try a hard reset but he said the prompt never comes up and the screen also kind of fades in and out. Before selling it I had experienced something similar once or twice when it got stuck on the Palm screen but somehow got it to reset.

I'm wondering what to do at this point. Is this a dud and if so, how can I resolve this, do I need to take it back? I've already transferred my line to another phone and so this phone is now officially not part of my account anymore, so I don't think Sprint will service it. Do I need to send it to Palm? Or can this guy, if he gets it added to his account, get it serviced by Sprint? I have no idea if he has insurance on his account, but if he doesn't will this mean that he'd have to pay a large fee?

I actually had Sprint service the phone about a month ago because the keyboard lights went out and they fixed that, but now it's having this problem.

Any suggestions??
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, I was telling him to reset the wrong way. I got him to do it the right way and he gets the prompt to erase all data, clicks up for yes, gets presented with the Palm screen again and the gray bar goes part of the way before stopping and just sits there. I told him to try waiting a few minutes and call me back if it doesn't go, but I'm not very hopeful.

So, he does have insurance on his current account and if he's able to get this working he could tranfer the ESN and then take it into Sprint for repair. It sucks he has to do this but hopefully at least he won't have to pay any extra for the phone to be repaired.

If he can't even do this though, I'll need to give him his money back and then I have a phone that I was hoping to sell which doesn't work, so I'm wondering if I have any options or if I'm totally out $200 because of either Palm's built quality and/or Sprint's repair department screwing something up???

That is a sticky situation. How long after he bought it did this happen? Do you have the original serial number (to be sure he isnt passing off another bad phone to you)?
    Dvdmon, sorry to see you are having this problem.

Assuming this person is NOT trying to pass a bad device to you as RichTJ99 mentioned. It would probably go better if you had them return the device to you and you try and get Sprint to repair it, referencing your original purchase data, which makes you the legitimate original owner of the device. I assume the buyer never activated the device, so it's only ever had you as the user. So you're still within the 1 year Palm warranty period, although the insurance won't cover this. Take it to Sprint as a warranty repair and if Sprint does not help send it to Palm. Palm does not make it easy for 800w owners to know how to return a device directly to Palm, but it's doable and they have repaired or replaced defective devices too.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    No, I trust this guy. I finally had him get it to boot, but it does seem like there is something wrong. He said he's going to activate it. He currently has insurance on his account so he will then take it into Sprint for repair.

I actually got a 700wx a year ago on Craig's List and it worked fine for about 8 months and then started to have serious issues. I had already had insurance on my previous phone and it just transferred to the 700wx and when I brought it into Sprint for repair they ended up sending me a replacement because the phone was hosed. So I'm hopeful that he will be able to do the same thing, although I'm a little nervous because I sold it to him today and if he brings the phone in tomorrow, he'll have had it on his account for almost no time. Anyway, we'll see. Thanks for the help.