Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    i JUST got this phone, free, from the replacement center, they gave me a upgrade free from my treo 700wx i had, and i think its better and more stable then my treo 700wx. my bluetooth h710 never looses sync. my calls are clearer. ya i have the issue with the bluetooth volume loosing its last setting i use when im in calls, but other then that, i have no complaints.

what problems are there with this phone i havent ran into or cant seem to find online that would make this phone a dud as some of u are calling it?
    lol, oh no...not this again

First, welcome!

Check out Ebag's phenomenal FAQ at the top to get started.

Second, read the section on bugs/issues to get an idea:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...02&postcount=2

Also maybe check out my "second look" article; about half it is dedicated to discussing areas that are lacking (but I still like the phone).

Third, yeah the 800w has much, much better BT than the 700wx, which was pretty poor. Also, thinner, better screen resolution, wifi and aGPS are pretty nice to have coming from the 700wx.

The question you ask though is complicated. Some people just don't like the phone. Some really need a feature that it doesn't have. Others like the looks of the Treo Pro.

A lot of people here are just happy with it.

All that is important is if it works for you though and if you like it. If you have problems, need help, etc. just post away. But owning a phone is not a popularity contest, so don't sweat it too much.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    What he said ^^^ (x 2)

If you don't have any problems, don't go looking for 'em. The 'dud' comments may have also been about expectations, market success, and Palm not providing any updates, not just the bugs.

I thought my 700wx was a great phone, but despite my problems with the 800w, after just a week of using it, there is no way I can go back to the 700wx.
    You will get 3 responses shortly describing why the 800 is a terrible device.

The rest of the board is pretty content. The only thing the 700wx does better is battery.

Good luck
    I really like my 800w. And I am a die-hard Palm os fangirl. The 800w does everything I need it to do. It could be a little faster, but that's Windows Mobile, and not the device.
    Love my 800w as well. I've had Treos since the 600, and this is a really great device.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    GoTTi, as many note, the 800w has had a significant number of owners who have had unusual issues that were not expected. That does not mean you will encounter a single issue, but you're on day 1. I think even we who have run into various problems didn't encounter them till some time after day 1. I'm on my 2nd 800w, could go for a 3rd if I wanted, but some folks here have had 4 and never got beyond some problems they were having. Really if you are happy, just be happy.

If you are hunting for bugs, you may want to see both what is now cited as the "bug" list" and ALSO see the "outdated" bug list. Regardless of where blame is placed, if there's a problem within the device it's a bug for you if you encounter it.

There are some who say their 700wx was more stable than the 800w, but that's something for you to decide with time.

Nobody who speaks unkindly about the Treo 800w does so simply because of unfounded reasoning. Anyone who may speak unkindly about the device does so based on problems they've experienced.

So really this is going to be a walk based on your own experiences and usage of the device. I sincerely hope it continues working well for you. Nobody who has had issues wishes them on anyone, not even our enemies.
    Also be aware that 75% of those polled were happy with their 800w. That number is comparable to similar polls regarding prior Treos:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=poll
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Also be aware that 75% of those polled were happy with their 800w. That number is comparable to similar polls regarding prior Treos:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...highlight=poll
    Keep in mind who made that poll and for me it was only 2 months with my current device .
    I think you will find that most people are very happy with their 800w. Its by far the best phone I have owned to date.

There are a select few around here that are very unhappy and they will tell you about it. Over and over and over again.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Love my 800w as well. I admit there's times i want to throw it to the ground and smash it, but remember murphy's law..."if anything can go wrong, it will." We all know technology fits top on this list. Like everyone has stated, if it suits your needs, you're fine. Trying to keep up with technology is insane and expensive.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I've been very happy with mine since I got it. It can be a little flaky sometimes, but I've never used a WM device that didn't have it's quirks.

To me it's still the best converged device I've ever owned.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Another vote for loving the phone...sure it has quirks and the gps issue is troublesome (mainly Palm's response to the issue), but the device does a lot and I have a great deal of fun with it.
    I have been happy with Treo 800w as well. The only thing I miss (but not something I can't live w/o) is 3.5 mm jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdude View Post
    ...The only thing I miss (but not something I can't live w/o) is 3.5 mm jack.
    And that is a perfect example of why I love this phone. Mine is nowhere near stock, I have manipulated the hell out of it, abused it like a rented mule, added dang near every app I saw in the first few weeks and learned a lot doing it, like how to hard reset, create UL icons and solder a 3.5mm jack onto a circuit board in the crapset delivered with the phone. Some people say that we shouldn't have to do certain things to enjoy the phones, but for me, that's the fun part. To each his own I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_boy View Post
    Love my 800w as well. I admit there's times i want to throw it to the ground and smash it, but remember murphy's law..."if anything can go wrong, it will.
    Been there a few times.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Good Evening GoTTi, I believe you will find one of the nice things about this phone is that it can be tweaked to do just about anything you want it to. I seldom post, but I do read these boards often and have found that the majority of the members offer great ideas and ways to make the phone work better for them. Follow their example and make the phone truly yours. You are the best judge of what works and what doesn't. Don't hesitate to ask a question, even if it has already been addressed...someone more knowledgeable will surely point you to the answer. Good Luck and enjoy your new device!