1.    #1  
    Ahh, where is the bug czar when you need him?

I think my phone is sensing that I may be leaving it, seems to be lashing out in its own way.

I just ran into this, I don't know if this is the infamous "rainbow lines" problem or not. My phone stopped responding, so I pulled the battery. This is what I saw when it rebooted:

I pulled the battery a couple more times, same thing. I tried to hard reset, same thing. On the 5th hard reset, I finally got it to the "Erase Data" prompt. After hitting up, the screen just blanked and it wouldn't reboot. I pulled the battery and it finally came up. I suspect my device is not going to last much longer, but curious if anyone has seen this...

(Sorry for the crappy pic, I took that with my 700wx)

SOLVED: Problem due to cancelling out of RealVGA switcher and fat fingers. Move along, nothing to see here...
    Last edited by zbop; 12/16/2008 at 05:40 PM.
    never saw it but I'm starting to think your device has a bad/corrupted ROM

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Ahh, where is the bug czar when you need him?

I think my phone is sensing that I may be leaving it, seems to be lashing out in its own way.

I just ran into this, I don't know if this is the infamous "rainbow lines" problem or not. My phone stopped responding, so I pulled the battery. This is what I saw when it rebooted:

I pulled the battery a couple more times, same thing. I tried to hard reset, same thing. On the 5th hard reset, I finally got it to the "Erase Data" prompt. After hitting up, the screen just blanked and it wouldn't reboot. I pulled the battery and it finally came up. I suspect my device is not going to last much longer, but curious if anyone has seen this...

(Sorry for the crappy pic, I took that with my 700wx)
    I had those on my first 800w, got it exchanged. This might seem silly, BUT, it seemed to occur after charging the phone in the car (using the Duramax charger from wallmart) and/or at times charging the phone itself and/or connecting phone to PC and choosing NOT to do an activesync. Since replacing the phone, I've managed to yank free batteries from Sprint..and have the Palm battery charger..so the phone never goes to the charger and the activesync is OTA w/mail2web.

BigMots
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    never saw it but I'm starting to think your device has a bad/corrupted ROM
    Could be...

But my problems are intermittent and seem to be worsening over time, so I think it's the hardware. I'm taking it into a Sprint Repair Center today, who knows, they may try to reflash it.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Good luck and keep us posted. Strange stuff.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Zbop - You fooled us once as if you had a bug and you knew what was going on all along. Had me going good too. And you even kept it going for a bit. Should I play with the boy who cried wolf ?

Anyway, if it's a real problem, (whispering: dump the 800w for something else and don't look back.)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Zbop - You fooled us once as if you had a bug and you knew what was going on all along. Had me going good too. And you even kept it going for a bit. Should I play with the boy who cried wolf ?

Anyway, if it's a real problem, (whispering: dump the 800w for something else and don't look back.)
    Yeah, I deserve that...

But seriously, this really did happen, I swear. I may broach the subject of a different phone (Touch Pro) when I take it in, but I'll play it by ear.
    I've seen this happen occasionally. It'll do this and then you'll need to hard reset to recover. It's always happened after installing software for me.

I've been able to restore a backup and then immediately reinstall the same software with no issues.

Once when this happened I did have a hard time resetting, though I did get it.

Not sure what causes it....
    The only time that I've ever had it happen to me, and it happens every time I've done this, is if I change the dpi in RealVGA, but don't soft reset. I'm not talking about the new thing where you can just refresh the today screen, but changing the device dpi. If I try to cancel, it still prompts me to reset and if I don't, then it hangs up and I reset, and it gives me that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    The only time that I've ever had it happen to me, and it happens every time I've done this, is if I change the dpi in RealVGA, but don't soft reset. I'm not talking about the new thing where you can just refresh the today screen, but changing the device dpi. If I try to cancel, it still prompts me to reset and if I don't, then it hangs up and I reset, and it gives me that.
    Yeah, that would definitely confuse the OS.....
  11.    #11  
    This is got to be it, I remember doing that shortly before it happened. Not sure why it wouldn't hard reset, I must have fat-fingered the hard-reset multiple times before I got it right. I'll try to reproduce it...

On another note, I took my 800w in, they agreed to give me a replacement, but they didn't have any in the store. I assume this means I'm getting a refurb.
    This is got to be it, I remember doing that shortly before it happened. Not sure why it wouldn't hard reset, I must have fat-fingered the hard-reset multiple times before I got it right. I'll try to reproduce it...
    Please see if you can. If this can be caused by RealVGA, I'd like to do something to avoid it.

On another note, I took my 800w in, they agreed to give me a replacement, but they didn't have any in the store. I assume this means I'm getting a refurb.
    As I mentioned in another thread, Sprint stores generally don't keep replacement phones in stock. I've never had a problem with waiting, but I can speak from personal experience that if you are persuasive enough they'll generally "find" one for you in the store, and will give you one of their new phones.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Please see if you can. If this can be caused by RealVGA, I'd like to do something to avoid it.

As I mentioned in another thread, Sprint stores generally don't keep replacement phones in stock. I've never had a problem with waiting, but I can speak from personal experience that if you are persuasive enough they'll generally "find" one for you in the store, and will give you one of their new phones.
    Yeah, I just reproduced it. If you can simply add:

Code:
    Case (0)
         Exit
    before the EndChoice in the DPI.mscr, it'll prevent this. It looks the DPI settings are being clobbered because they are uninitialized.

In my case, I was trying to run Resco File Explorer and I hit RealVGA by mistake. I cancelled out of it, then said no to the soft-reset since I cancelled it and that's when it got bad.
  14.    #14  
    Yeah, I've gotten a new replacement in the store before.

If my 800w was not working at all, I might have made more of a fuss or asked them to find another store that did have one available, but since it's working and they agreed to replace it, I just let it go.

Code:
    Case (0)
         Exit
    before the EndChoice in the DPI.mscr, it'll prevent this. It looks the DPI settings are being clobbered because they are uninitialized.

In my case, I was trying to run Resco File Explorer and I hit RealVGA by mistake. I cancelled out of it, then said no to the soft-reset since I cancelled it and that's when it got bad.
    That's exactly what I was doing the first time it happened to me. One thing though, each time it's ever happened to me, I've not had to hard reset but once. Guess I was lucky.

Code:
    Case (0)
         Exit

D'oh! You are absolutely 100% right. Bad coding on my part.
  17.    #17  
    That's exactly what I was doing the first time it happened to me. One thing though, each time it's ever happened to me, I've not had to hard reset but once. Guess I was lucky.
    If you actually pick a DPI you're ok. If you hit cancel when you are at the 96/128 DPI selection, that's when the problem happens.

If you first cancel, it doesn't matter whether you soft-reset or not, you're pretty much screwed. If you select not to soft-reset, you *might* be okay if you pull the battery before the registry is flushed.
  18.    #18  
    D'oh! You are absolutely 100% right. Bad coding on my part.
    No biggie, that's what backups are for...

I just didn't make the connection between my cancelling out of RealVGA and this issue until SandersJC mentioned it.
    just had the same problem happen to me while trying to navigate through my programs. I had to hard reset again, but at least I had a backup.
  20.    #20  
    Well, picked up my replacement today. It's a refurb, but looks and feels brand new (hope I didn't get one of VibrantGT's returns, lol).

Time to reset my expectations, keep it stock for a week, and see how it goes.