Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Hey guys!

I'm Casey Chan from Android Central and for week 4 of the Smartphone Round Robin, I'm the editor who will be using the Treo Pro! A good friend of mine had the Treo 650 a few years back and I've played with the Centro more recently, but this Treo Pro is completely different!

I'm already instantly more comfortable with the Treo Pro than I was with the Fuze but I'm still not too confident in my Windows Mobile ability. Hopefully, I'll get better soon enough.

I used NuevaSync to port over my Contacts and Calendar from Google and set up Gmail with the E-mail app. But I don't think I set it up correctly? A few stuff I want to fix:

It's not syncing with my desktop Gmail, how do I fix this? Some IMAP settings gone awry?

It's leaving a copy of sent mail in the Treo Pro (is there a reason for this to happen? The Blackberry does this (iPhone and G1 do not)). How do I get rid of this?

No push Gmail right? I have it set to check at 5 minute intervals, seems more like random to me though..

I'm going to have a ton more questions! So stay tuned!

As always, This is an Official Round Robin Contest Thread -- Details Here
    Casey Chan,

Good Times.
    Well I don't have any help for you but I do have a small rant...

How can you guys at Smartphone Experts claim to be testing all the phones with no exchange server? I mean surely SPE as a company has one right?

A major part of how these phones function is incorporated with a Exchange server or a BES server. How effective the push mail works works, how long the batteries last etc.

Anyway I realize not everyone is connected to such a server but I'm guessing a major portion are and those people are left out in your review.

Sorry- no idea how to sync a calendar with gmail but my calendar syncs great with exchange and I can send & receive requests no problem. I also get HTML email and ability to look up contacts on our global address list.
    Btw I'd really like to hear a response to my question on the round robin podcast.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Hey Casey,

I don't have a Treo Pro, but I'm a Treo 700wx user who has been pushing Gmail to his phone for two years now via a free Mail2Web account (i.e., free Exchange server). Sure, you don't get access to all of your folders/etc that way, but you can also setup your Gmail as an additional IMAP account for any time you need to look through your folders (which is a solution that I know a lot of Blackberry users go with who are on BIS). As for syncing calendar and contacts to Gmail... haha, I have a very convoluted solution for that:

On my Mac, I have Entourage setup to check my Mail2Web account, and sync that calendar with my iCal. My iCal then syncs with Google via Gcal's new CalDAV support. The OSX address book app can actually talk directly to the Exchange server, so I don't have Entourage sync that (it caused duplicates when I set it to sync). If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch, the Address Book app will sync with Gmail (you can find a hack/workaround to make your computer think you have one of those if you don't... I forgot where I found that, though).

Or... you can avoid the Exchange server entirely and continue using Nuevasync for calendar and contacts, and get your Gmail via IMAP IDLE using one of these solutions:

discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=128447

I haven't tried these yet, but have considered doing so someday when I finally get some spare time. Unfortunately, I'll probably wait to try this until I get myself a new WinMo device (most likely a Treo Pro) because I'm always barely at the edge of memory availability with my current setup... I'm always scared to have a "Jenga" moment when I change stuff on my aging WX. =P
    About the Sent Items:
    In Messaging, go to Options, and take the second tab "Message". There's a checkbox that reads "Keep copies of sent items in Sent folder". Uncheck it and you're good to go.
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devonair View Post
    As for syncing calendar and contacts to Gmail... haha, I have a very convoluted solution for that:

On my Mac, I have Entourage setup to check my Mail2Web account, and sync that calendar with my iCal. My iCal then syncs with Google via Gcal's new CalDAV support. The OSX address book app can actually talk directly to the Exchange server, so I don't have Entourage sync that (it caused duplicates when I set it to sync). If you have an iPhone/iPod Touch, the Address Book app will sync with Gmail (you can find a hack/workaround to make your computer think you have one of those if you don't... I forgot where I found that, though).
    Wow that is a lot of syncs. I take it you need to force your computer to sync with everything else first and then sync with your device. Sounds like it would take a while to accomplish.
    Needing a new PDA. Looking for a Treo.
    I'm using GooSync for contacts and Calendar and Flexmail 4.1 beta for push IMAP IDLE with Google. NuevaSync is not ready for production use. I'm not at all surprised you've had issues with it.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD View Post
    How can you guys at Smartphone Experts claim to be testing all the phones with no exchange server?
    A good point considering that Exchange Servers have 65% market share across all organizations and 90% in telecommunications (according to a Ferris Research report).

Nonetheless, isn't the round robin meant to be more of a seat-of-the-pants comparison than a test? With 5 users scattered around the continent in different settings, restricted to only a week with each smartphone, I don't expect more than a subjective snapshot of how they actually work. An interesting follow-up, aimed at those who care about such things, might be to interview technical people who actually support these devices for their perspective.
    Yeah, but many who use Exchange for work still require some other type of server for personal mail. You pretty much know that all of the devices are going to work with Exchange (well, not the G1), so how it works with personal accounts might be more relevant anyway.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I've used every Sprint-compatible Treo ever made (even WinMo), and am addicted to the form-factor of a front-facing hardware keyboard with a touch screen. But the one weird thing about the Treo Pro to me is the placement of the stylus housing. Is it held in magnetically (like the Fuze/Touch Pro) or just by pressure? I would worry that after time it would eventually fall out since its now aimed down instead of up. My current stylus is always loosely hanging halfway out of my Treo... and I don't even use it all that much!
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    @cliephoto ...actually, I don't have to force any of those syncs. As long as I open Entourage from time-to-time everything syncs automatically (I don't use it as my primary email client; if I did it would be even MORE automatic). I will admit, though, it is a little more comlicated than I would like... but it works for me until either: a) Google makes a real push-capable mail client for WinMo (instead of a java client -- which seems unlikely), or b) someone creates a good Exchange-Google sync tool (also unlikely, haha).
    I would think many users (including me) only take they stylus out to do a soft reset..not worried about it falling out because I rarely take it out
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devonair View Post
    @cliephoto ...actually, I don't have to force any of those syncs. As long as I open Entourage from time-to-time everything syncs automatically (I don't use it as my primary email client; if I did it would be even MORE automatic). I will admit, though, it is a little more comlicated than I would like... but it works for me until either: a) Google makes a real push-capable mail client for WinMo (instead of a java client -- which seems unlikely), or b) someone creates a good Exchange-Google sync tool (also unlikely, haha).
    Thanks. I am slowly learning about these devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I would think many users (including me) only take they stylus out to do a soft reset..not worried about it falling out because I rarely take it out
    I am a 'many users' also.
    Just call me Berd.
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I am a 'many users' also.
    Yes I do also but I also take it out to play Solitaire & I am sometimes worried about misplacing it.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    i thought the magnetic stylus that touch pro/fuze has is fantastic. is it also deployed here in treo pro?
    Quote Originally Posted by chuazy View Post
    i thought the magnetic stylus that touch pro/fuze has is fantastic. is it also deployed here in treo pro?
    Nope. Standard (or not so standard if you look at the 800w ) metal stylus, nothing crazy. Non-magnetic and doesn't telescope.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Wow that will be nice. I am still using a Palm OS device and am trying to use the device without the stylus. A fingernail does work with the Graffiti. However, with the high res Clie there are often items I can't select without the stylus. I at least don't use it with the calculator anymore . So I am learning the new concept. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    FWIW: I carry a Space Pen with a stylus tip but most of the time mt finger tip or the tip of my little fingernail works as a stylus. I run Flexmail 4.0 from WEBIS and it allows me to check my four email accounts (including GMail) every 15 minutes. I don't have Enterprise, because my business is as a semi retired Civil Engineer consulting in water resources. I've found it works for me to just do it this way. My clients can wait 15 minutes for the 65 year old retired guy to get to them.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    useful topic.i like it.