Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
  1.    #1  
    With the news of the 800W's rumored demise, I'm looking for some advice/input...

    I just upgraded from a 755P to a 800W a couple of weeks ago. I really like the 800W over the 755P. I think it has to do more with preferring WM 6.1 over Palm's OS.

    I still have this week to decide if I want to stay with the 800W, or upgrade to the Pro when it lands at Sprint in Jan 09.

    Or I could jump ship to the Touch Pro. I do like the Treo's one hand functionality so I think the Touch Pro would be fun and cool in the beginning, but I might find myself wanting a "one handed" phone.

    If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

    The nice thing is the phone is issued to me from work so it's nothing out of my pocket.

    Having the luxuary of still being in the 30 day window, I'm leaning towards turning in 800W and going back to the 755P until late Jan. Then I can take a look at the available options a go from there..perhaps a TouchPro HD...

    thanks,
    BJ
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    There is no better reviewer of a product than YOU.

    I suggest you take that 800w back after using it for about 3 weeks. Get the Touch Pro, try it for about 3 weeks. (Got to use something while still waiting for the Treo Pro to be released right ? ) Get the Treo Pro, try it for about 3 weeks. Which ever one you really desire after that is the one to keep.

    The CDMA Treo Pro is a new product, so none of the old reviews fully apply to it. There will be some differences. You may want to wait a while before even getting it. But trying the various devices yourself should help.


    As for me, I chose the 800w. I've used the Touch Pro a bit, didn't care for it (can't stand sliders). I've played around with the Treo Pro's ROM's and programs, it's very similar to the 800w but lacks many of Palm's tweaks. But what works best for you is what you will pick.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhijames View Post

    If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
    If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Sprint HTC Touch Pro.

    Palm's future as a company is very much in question at this point. The 800w is being dumped by Sprint. That means why you might see some 800w support, it certainly won't be the best and it certainly has been less than good so far in my opinion.

    Treo Pro, just my opinion, but I don't think they've got all the CRACKS worked out yet. The CDMA Treo Pro owners may not know for a few months if their devices will suffer from the crackling. And again, there's that issue of Palm's viability as a company.

    Pretty hard for a company to support you if they are out of business.

    I don't know if a company hurting like Palm will be able to support their devices well. I don't feel they are doing so well by the 800w.

    Treo Pro and Touch Pro at least have working stand alone GPS and aGPS. Even if you go with the Treo Pro, at least you'll have something that will have a faster growing number of users than the 800w that Sprint is dropping. That means more people working on stuff, like hacks, accessories and so on.

    The Touch Pro has not had reports of cracking. The Sprint HTC Touch Pro does not suffer from some problems found in other models of the HTC Touch Pro.

    Issue with the Touch Pro is, if you drop it, it's done. So you would want a good means to get replacements .
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhijames View Post
    Having the luxuary of still being in the 30 day window, I'm leaning towards turning in 800W and going back to the 755P until late Jan. Then I can take a look at the available options a go from there..perhaps a TouchPro HD...

    thanks,
    BJ
    Bring back the 800w and wait till January (25th, not the 9th)

    That way you can see what people are saying. Like any tech, the Treo Pro will have pros and cons.

    Touch Pro is a nice option, but coming from the Garnet/Treo tradition, obviously sticking to that form factor would be easiest. Also depends on what you do with your device: media or email?

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5. xdalaw's Avatar
    Posts
    583 Posts
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    #5  
    I like my 800w a lot, and even bought one for my wife a couple of weeks ago, but the fact that Sprint is phasing it out is very disappointing. I'm not too optimistic about an upcoming ROM upgrade or many new accessories.

    I'd probably go with the Treo Pro for this reason--but I still think the 800w is better and better looking IMHO.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
  6.    #6  
    I would love to have the Touch Pro's media power, but at the end of the day my cell phone is business first. So I have to keep that in mind.

    I see another 800W v Pro started so I will do some research and see what my options are. I might even have the option to try a few different models out while I wait until the end of Jan.

    thanks
  7. #7  
    Go back to the 755p (which you have familiarity with) and wait until the end of January. You will see how people like the Treo Pro on Sprint as well as hearing what is being announced at CES about Nova.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

    Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, I think that's the best plan. I'll suffer through the "downgrade" back to the 755P for 5-6 weeks and then be in a better position once all of the dust settle come late Jan.
  9. #9  
    The Sprint Treo Pro is coming out late January as was mentioned. If you wait till February, you'll have a full month of reviews and comments to reference before trying it for a while yourself. But for now you might as well use the 755P.

    Of course, once you give up the 800w, if Sprint stops selling them the moment they start selling the Treo Pro, you'll never be able to get a new 800w from Sprint. (Not that I'd care if I were you, but if you really are into the 800w it's something to consider.)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Sprint Treo Pro is coming out late January as was mentioned. If you wait till February, you'll have a full month of reviews and comments to reference before trying it for a while yourself. But for now you might as well use the 755P.

    Of course, once you give up the 800w, if Sprint stops selling them the moment they start selling the Treo Pro, you'll never be able to get a new 800w from Sprint. (Not that I'd care if I were you, but if you really are into the 800w it's something to consider.)
    Good advice.
  11. #11  
    Treo 800- It may be on the "End of Life" list next month. You will get no support from Palm either. They never tried to fix any of the buggy items with a patch. Now that the Treo Pro is coming they never will. Scratch the 800 off your list.

    Treo Pro- Coming in January. I would not be surprised if it gets pushed back even further. Currently the Treo Pro GSM version is having a cracked housing issue. Just as an example. My buddy Roger sent his Treo Pro back to Palm to get the housing changed on December 5th. As of today he still has not recieved it back from Palm. I think this will be the delay on the CDMA Sprint model. When it hits hopefully its fixed. I like the Treo Pro but again because it's Palm device I'd steer clear. Palm is on their last leg. If they go, you get no support. There not showing any signs of supporting anything.

    Touch Pro- I have one so I am speaking from experience. It can be used as a business device because that is what I use it for. If you're not into sliders don't worry because you will get over it quick. The feature list will make up for it anyway. It's fully loaded, nice looking and does everything pretty well. I am not saying it's perfect. The beauty part about it is the support you will get. PPCGeeks.com and XDA-Developers have created registry hacks, tweaks and custom ROM's. PPCGeeks has KitchenROM's where you can pick what items you want on the device. You can bypass all the bloatware that clutters up the device. Plus HTC is a solid company. They aren't going anywhere. They also will produce patches if something is over reported. They will also honor warranty claims.

    You've got some choices. Take the 800 out of your choices. Treo Pro or Touch Pro are your choices. Wait until the Treo Pro is released then base your decision.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Treo 800- It may be on the "End of Life" list next month. You will get no support from Palm either. They never tried to fix any of the buggy items with a patch. Now that the Treo Pro is coming they never will. Scratch the 800 off your list.
    This is not correct information.


    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The Touch Pro "replaced" the HTC Mogul. But the Mogul was never EOLd.

    The Treo Pro is "replacing" the Treo 800w. But the 800w has not yet been EOLd either.

    Until we get word that the 800w is EOLd, it is premature to suggest that they will "stop selling it".
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    This is not correct information.
    Care to make a wager? When the Treo Pro gets released on Sprint the 800 makes the EOL list and when they run out of stock its gone for good.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  14. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #14  
    It's a tough call, the Touch Pro is certainly alluring, but I often get frustrated with slider devices and end up coming back to front-facing qwerty's.
    Also, I remain unconvinced that HTC is capable of creating a device that isn't slow and buggy. (that's pretty much their calling-card)

    I know it isn't the fun choice, but if I was you I think I'd do what you suggested and go back to the 755p for a month or 2. That way you can see how the Treo Pro (and the Touch Pro) shake out, and also get some input on potential future devices like the nextGen Palm OS.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Care to make a wager? When the Treo Pro gets released on Sprint the 800 makes the EOL list and when they run out of stock its gone for good.
    The difference in keyboards (attract the old Treo fans) is a strong reason to keep the 800w. Case in point: Treo 755p is still for sale on Sprint despite the Centro (more memory, cheaper, MyLocation, etc.)

    The 800w, technologically, is very similar to the Treo Pro (RevA, Wifi, aGPS, BT 2.0, 2.0mp camera, 320x320, WM6.1) so is not "outdated" in that sense. They have much more in common than, say a Mogul and Touch Pro and the Mogul has some not-so-hot memory.

    Shoot, I'm shocked that Sprint still sells a non-RevA Moto Q9. What's up with that?

    I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint sells them side-by-side for quite awhile. There's no harm in having both available as a choice for customers, especially since Sprint still is the only one offering the 800w.

    As far as a wager, it's all just guessing at this point on both sides. That's not rationale betting.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/16/2008 at 10:40 AM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The difference in keyboards (attract the old Treo fans) is a strong reason to keep the 800w. Case in point: Treo 755p is still for sale on Sprint despite the Centro (more memory, cheaper, MyLocation, etc.)

    The 800w, technologically, is very similar to the Treo Pro (RevA, Wifi, aGPS, BT 2.0, 2.0mp camera, 320x320, WM6.1) so is not "outdated" in that sense. They have much more in common than, say a Mogul and Touch Pro and the Mogul has some not-so-hot memory.

    Shoot, I'm shocked that Sprint still sells a non-RevA Moto Q9. What's up with that?

    I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint sells them side-by-side for quite awhile. There's no harm in having both available as a choice for customers, especially since Sprint still is the only one offering the 800w.

    As far as a wager, it's all just guessing at this point on both sides. That's not rationale betting.
    Whether Palm decides to EOL the 800w and whether Sprint decides to carry both the 800w/Treo Pro are two separate decision paths, although if Sprint drops it, that effectively EOL's it. I'm not sure if Sprint is under any contractual obligation to carry it, but I doubt it.

    If Palm were a smart company, and I'm not suggesting that they are, it should simply come down to the cost/benefit of continuing to carry the 800w; do the projected 800w sales (once the CDMA Treo Pro is out) justify the continued production and support? My bet, perhaps not rational but hey it doesn't cost me anything, is no.
  17. #17  
    Given the potential false advertising liability associated with selling the Treo 800w, I would not blame Sprint if they dropped the 800w today. (Claims of autonomous GPS when it's not an autonomous GPS device.)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Whether Palm decides to EOL the 800w and whether Sprint decides to carry both the 800w/Treo Pro are two separate decision paths, although if Sprint drops it, that effectively EOL's it. I'm not sure if Sprint is under any contractual obligation to carry it, but I doubt it.

    If Palm were a smart company, and I'm not suggesting that they are, it should simply come down to the cost/benefit of continuing to carry the 800w; do the projected 800w sales (once the CDMA Treo Pro is out) justify the continued production and support? My bet, perhaps not rational but hey it doesn't cost me anything, is no.
    We are discussing Sprint EOLing it, rather than Palm.

    Sprint is going to drop the 800w long before Palm does. Palm makes money per device, it's Sprint that's taking the big hit since they subsidize the majority of it.
  19. #19  
    Yes, Palm will be selling 800ws for a long time. Although they probably won't sell so well without subsidy pricing. For example anybody who wants a 700wx for Sprint's network would have to pay $650 now. You can buy about 3 800ws on Ebay for that amount of money.
  20. #20  
    I don't think Sprint is taking a hit EOL'ing the 800. It's not a device that set sales on fire. You can buy a brand new one on eBay for $200-$249. Samsung Rant brand new sells for $200-$250 eBay, LG Rumor brand new on eBay is $175. I just sold my 800 on eBay with a ton of accessories (3 batteries, car charger, rubber case, 3 boxwave screen protectors, registered applications and more) for $222. It's pretty embarrassing. In this case I feel sorry for Palm. The 700wx is there best device. I loved mine. Just don't make them like they use to.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions