Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why did you sell the registered software? Will it not work on the Touch Pro or do you just not need it anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhijames View Post
    With the news of the 800W's rumored demise, I'm looking for some advice/input...

I just upgraded from a 755P to a 800W a couple of weeks ago. I really like the 800W over the 755P. I think it has to do more with preferring WM 6.1 over Palm's OS.

I still have this week to decide if I want to stay with the 800W, or upgrade to the Pro when it lands at Sprint in Jan 09.

Or I could jump ship to the Touch Pro. I do like the Treo's one hand functionality so I think the Touch Pro would be fun and cool in the beginning, but I might find myself wanting a "one handed" phone.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

The nice thing is the phone is issued to me from work so it's nothing out of my pocket.

Having the luxuary of still being in the 30 day window, I'm leaning towards turning in 800W and going back to the 755P until late Jan. Then I can take a look at the available options a go from there..perhaps a TouchPro HD...

thanks,
    BJ
    If you *think* you are going to want a one handed phone than most likely you are. Forget about the Touch Pro. Even though it is long on features, the battery life is awful- even worse than the 800w. IMO it is simply the next generation slider from HTC. More glitz and pizazz than anything else.

The touch pro is the easy decision- with the exception that it is not available yet. How many times have we all held our breath for something to release than gets delayed??? I admit January seems to be solid- but no one really knows.

The 800w is a solid device in my opinion. All this talk about it being sunset means only a few things to me; dont buy it for anywhere near its retail price, dont buy it with hopes that it will do something in the future that it doesnt today.

Lets face it; it runs wm6.1 so the OS is supported, 320x320 will be supported. A lot of work has already been done for it. You will have no problem keeping it going for 12-18 months. Considering that you will be able to buy it for a song- it may not be a bad choice.

LA
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Why did you sell the registered software? Will it not work on the Touch Pro or do you just not need it anymore?
    It's like a trial. I didn't give them the numbers. Just left it on the device. You want any of my apps?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    It's like a trial. I didn't give them the numbers. Just left it on the device. You want any of my apps?
    I think I'm pretty well set with all I've shelled out for apps .

(A little jealous some of it [equivalent] comes free and built in on your Touch Pro, which retails for less than the 800w.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    We are discussing Sprint EOLing it, rather than Palm.

Sprint is going to drop the 800w long before Palm does. Palm makes money per device, it's Sprint that's taking the big hit since they subsidize the majority of it.
    Ahhh, well nevermind then. I guess I should have read the thread first; I thought reading was optional around here...
  6.    #26  
    Here's an update:

I got to spend about 45 minutes with the Touch Pro yesterday and found it to be very usable for my needs. I tried every one-handed function i would use and it was easy to get through everything, compared to how I use my 800W.

So I just turned the 800W in and the Touch Pro is on order once the stock is replenished.
    I'm taking the plunge to the slider side of things.
    Sounds great! Good luck with it

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhijames View Post
    Here's an update:

I got to spend about 45 minutes with the Touch Pro yesterday and found it to be very usable for my needs. I tried every one-handed function i would use and it was easy to get through everything, compared to how I use my 800W.

So I just turned the 800W in and the Touch Pro is on order once the stock is replenished.
    I'm taking the plunge to the slider side of things.
    I also spent about 45 minutes playing with the Touch Pro yesterday (while waiting for them to "fix" my 800w).

This is my second session with the Touch Pro and it still hasn't won me over. The screen is of course incredible, keyboard is fine, but the entire device feels really cheap and bulky. And I really don't like the D-pad. I wouldn't mind going to a slider (as much) if the dpad and buttons on front were really solid. The device was sorta sluggish, but it had lots of things running and in fairness, the demo model in a Sprint store is not going to give you a good impression of real world performance. I also notice some keyboard lag in certain apps and even some dpad lag, but once again I can't tell if that is typical or not. I'll bet that a Touch Pro with one of the custom ROMs and Touch Flo disabled would fly.

I found the lack of a Start Key really annoying, but I assume there is a way to map that. Also it didn't seem like the BACK key is the same as the OK key. I found some of the transitions between landscape mode a little weird, you see different "stuff" when it switches to landscape, I assume that's all because of Touch Flo, but it drives me nuts when a device isn't consistent. I'm pretty sure I could deal with all of it once I got the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I found the lack of a Start Key really annoying, but I assume there is a way to map that.
    lmao, being a long time WM users, I pretty much freaked the out when I couldn't find the Start or OK button on the old Touch, it was a big WTF? moment for me.

I need buttons! Preferably in close proximity!

Quote Originally Posted by zbop;1532565i
    (while wating for them to "fix" my 800w).
    Zbop, I'm going to have to have a talk with the folks over at Sprint about you .

(If they knew the stuff you can do with a device, they'd probably just hand you their tools and leave the building .)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    lmao, being a long time WM users, I pretty much freaked the out when I couldn't find the Start or OK button on the old Touch, it was a big WTF? moment for me.

I need buttons! Preferably in close proximity!
    Yup, if I'm going to use a slider, I have to be able to navigate and use the device one-handed without touching the screen or pulling out the slider (for everything but typing that is). And given that I would probably start off by disabling Touch Flo, I need that Start key.

Anyways, I'm not bashing the Touch Pro, anymore than I bash on the 800w. It just seems that as devices add more features and get better, my expectations go up accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Zbop, I'm going to have to have a talk with the folks over at Sprint about you .
    lol, that'll be the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Anyways, I'm not bashing the Touch Pro, anymore than I bash on the 800w. It just seems that as devices add more features and get better, my expectations go up accordingly.
    Definitely not bashing. The market is clearly headed towards "less buttons, more screen" design, so there it goes.

I'll still cling to my many buttons and stylus, resisting. Someday I'm sure I'll cave and even be like "huh, this ain't bad actually".

Everyone should use AEbuttonplus to remap the buttons on the Touch Pro and Diamond. Long-time WM users know about that piece of software and how to configure it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Definitely not bashing. The market is clearly headed towards "less buttons, more screen" design, so there it goes.

I'll still cling to my many buttons and stylus, resisting. Someday I'm sure I'll cave and even be like "huh, this ain't bad actually".
    I would LOVE a Touch HD - or a "full screen" black slab with WM at Sprint or even VZW. I am actually thinking about a Storm after looking at that screen. I have been in the store about 4 times looking at the TP - the screen is nice, just not big enough for me. I could go iPhone-like in a heartbeat. Humm, Storm trial or iPhone trial over the holidays?!?
    The D pad does more than what people think. You don't press the D pad itself, you press the outer areas (4 way). Take your thumb and run it around the D pad it will zoom, other way zoom out. It also the LED on the device. Charging blinks white, missed call the white LED rotates around the D pad. Missed email/text/alert it flashes twice fast on top of the D pad. When the device rings the LED dances and points to the answer key.

On this device the OK button is the <- (Arrow) key. I was looking for it when I got the device and actually had to look in the manual. For the start key you just press it on screen. The menu will appear then select what you want in the menu with your thumb. You can do this with one hand. The menus are big enough to navigate with your fingers. It's actually faster then pressing a button, then pressing the D pad several times to get to the item you want. I can press two items (start button and app I want). Where as many press the start button, scroll to the app you want by pressing the d pad several times. Un-nessary steps.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    On this device the OK button is the <- (Arrow) key. I was looking for it when I got the device and actually had to look in the manual. For the start key you just press it on screen. The menu will appear then select what you want in the menu with your thumb. You can do this with one hand. The menus are big enough to navigate with your fingers. It's actually faster then pressing a button, then pressing the D pad several times to get to the item you want. I can press two items (start button and app I want). Where as many press the start button, scroll to the app you want by pressing the d pad several times. Un-nessary steps.
    You make a valid point. A properly designed touch interface will almost always be more efficient than a d-pad (direct vs. sequential access), but for me it's a point of preference.

I like that after using a device for awhile, I have memorized where the keys are and how many d-pad clicks it takes to get somewhere, and I like that it becomes second nature and can do things without constantly looking at the screen. It's just a small detail, but a personal preference of mine (actually, this is one area where the 800w is inferior to the 700wx).

I don't quite subscribe to Apple's philosophy of "you will interact with me at all times, you will be dazzled by the cute effects, and you will enjoy the experience damnit!", but I realize I'm probably in the minority.

Sometimes a phone is just a phone, and you simply want to get 'er done...
    No problem. Just passing the info along since I have a TP. Its a touchscreen device so the D pad doesn't really need to be there. I scroll Opera Mini with my finger which is 20 times faster than the D pad. To me the D pad is old school but understand if people prefer it. HTC made it easy to navigate with your fingers. If your into D pads, extra buttons and stylus then the Touch Pro is not for you.

No problem. Just passing the info along since I have a TP. Its a touchscreen device so the D pad doesn't really need to be there. I scroll Opera Mini with my finger which is 20 times faster than the D pad. To me the D pad is old school but understand if people prefer it. HTC made it easy to navigate with your fingers. If your into D pads, extra buttons and stylus then the Touch Pro is not for you.
    Thanks. I actually prefer both; I just want to be able to choose when I use each method, because it sorta depends on the context which is better.

Otherwise, I'd probably be using a Q by now.
    Personally, I love the stylus on the Diamond and Touch Pro. Real metal and the ultra-clever magnetic holder that can to unlock the screen, launch programs, etc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast