Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    according to the street, has anyone compared the Treo Pro and the 800w? I JUST bought the 800w and can still take it back if the Pro is better.

I the hardware much different and is the operating software different?

Thanks
    RR
    Quote Originally Posted by aresquare1 View Post
    I JUST bought the 800w and can still take it back if the Pro is better.
    There is no better reviewer of a product than YOU.

I suggest you take that 800w back after using it for about 3 weeks. Get the Touch Pro, try it for about 3 weeks. (Got to use something while still waiting for the Treo Pro to be released right ? ) Get the Treo Pro, try it for about 3 weeks. Which ever one you really desire after that is the one to keep.

The CDMA Treo Pro is a new product, so none of the old reviews fully apply to it. There will be some differences. You may want to wait a while before even getting it. But trying the various devices yourself should help.
    I would stick with the 800 just for the keyboard. its better than the pro imo.
    I spent considerable time with the pro and its a nice phone but not as nice as the 800w.

I have a friend that has a Treo pro that he got after his iphone broke. I have used it quite a bit.

We both agree that the 800w is noticably faster running the same applications. We both have Garmin XT and his lags almost a full block behind our position when driving a slow city speeds. The 800w has almost no lag and locks on the satellites in less then half the time.

Besides slow performance and the slow GPS they are very similar. The Pro does not have soft keys which I find annoying. He also got a scratch on his screen the 2nd day he had it. I think the flushed screens are more prone to scratching. The pro is so slippery its like trying to handle a wet bar of soap. It just squirts right out of your hand. I love the feel and grippyness of the 800w.

The keyboard on the Pro is not as bad as the centro but its close. The 800w keyboard is light years better. The pro has so many downsides that the 3.5mm stereo jack and larger battery would not be enough for me to get one.

Everyone around here wants to believe that the pro is the 2nd coming. I predict they are going to bit**ing like pissed off school girls in a few months, just like they do now.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I predict they are going to be *****ing like pissed off school girls in a few months.

Thanks for the comparison...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Keep the 800w if you don't mind having obsolete hardware with zero support from Palm or Sprint. Otherwise, you might want to upgrade to the Treo Pro or Touch Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    We both agree that the 800w is noticably faster running the same applications. We both have Garmin XT and his lags almost a full block behind our position when driving a slow city speeds. The 800w has almost no lag and locks on the satellites in less then half the time.
    There are custom ROM's for the Touch Pro that are way faster than the 800. My buddy has a Fuze and his custom ROM is sick fast. I am not noticing the speed difference (In my speed comparison I did give the win to the 800 though).

I've read HTC is aware of 3rd party GPS lag times. Let's see how fast HTC gets to market with an update. I use Sprint Navigation and its faster and more accurate vs. the 800. Plus the Touch Pro does standalone where as we all know the 800 does not.

For both issues I've just mentioned there is support. There is zero support for the 800. Neither Sprint nor Palm want anything to do with this device so they would rather ditch it. Plus I know there have been more complaints about standalone GPS and how you can get out of contracts or get another device.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    There are custom ROM's for the Touch Pro that are way faster than the 800. My buddy has a Fuze and his custom ROM is sick fast. I am not noticing the speed difference (In my speed comparison I did give the win to the 800 though).

I've read HTC is aware of 3rd party GPS lag times. Let's see how fast HTC gets to market with an update. I use Sprint Navigation and its faster and more accurate vs. the 800. Plus the Touch Pro does standalone where as we all know the 800 does not.

For both issues I've just mentioned there is support. There is zero support for the 800. Neither Sprint nor Palm want anything to do with this device so they would rather ditch it. Plus I know there have been more complaints about standalone GPS and how you can get out of contracts or get another device.
    But isn't it a little ridiculous that it takes a custom ROM for the Touch Pro just to match the speed of a device with half the ram and a substantially slower proc? Reminds me of how my old trusty 700wx could run circles around my HTC Touch, yet it had lesser hardware and was running WM 5.

HTC releases a fair amount of updates for their devices because they have to, not out of the goodness of their heart. The list of high priority defects on the Touch was embarrassing, not to mention that GPS was disabled when it shipped, only to be enabled 6 months later. (Gee, thanks HTC)

The xda-dev's and their custom ROM's are a worthy reason to go with an HTC device, as long as you're not squeamish about loading one. But to recommend an HTC device based on HTC's "support" is utter nonsense in my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    But isn't it a little ridiculous that it takes a custom ROM for the Touch Pro just to match the speed of a device with half the ram and a substantially slower proc? Reminds me of how my old trusty 700wx could run circles around my HTC Touch, yet it had lesser hardware and was running WM 5.
    Keep in mind the Touch Pro and Treo 800w are not at all configured the same. Simply turning off Touch Flo and ClearType on the Touch Pro not only brings its configuration closer to the native 800w configuration, it also results in the Touch Pro having good performance overall. The superior hardware of the Touch Pro does shine when properly configured. People with the Touch Pro are able to run Kinoma, Sprint Navigation and manage calls all at the same time with audio over BT. I've repeatedly tried that with my 800w and it's lock-up city. (Device stalls.)

HTC releases a fair amount of updates for their devices because they have to, not out of the goodness of their heart. The list of high priority defects on the Touch was embarrassing, not to mention that GPS was disabled when it shipped, only to be enabled 6 months later. (Gee, thanks HTC)
    I know with the Mogul that was the case and GPS was not a promised feature on that device, but an added plus, a freebie. I didn't know it was the case with the Touch. (Or maybe I'm confusing names?)

The xda-dev's and their custom ROM's are a worthy reason to go with an HTC device, as long as you're not squeamish about loading one. But to recommend an HTC device based on HTC's "support" is utter nonsense in my experience.
    I've stayed around here for years in part because the fixes were for those who are not afraid to make some adjustments to their device. You've already mentioned that HTC provides updates, so they're offering some support. And with the Mogul (or maybe the Touch), customers got features like GPS that were not even promised at first. That's pretty good support if you ask me. It just happens, that so many people buy HTC devices, they have a 2nd tier of support in XDA Developers, that offers things we only wish were being offered for the 800w, a number of customized ROMs. And once upon a time TC, Shadowmite and custom ROMs for Treos were the norm. A custom ROM is certainly something Treo owners are used to. What XDA developers does for HTC is exactly how it was with TC and Palm in the days when Palm was the big name. I know I didn't get most of my good stuff from Palm, but here.

Perhaps Palm will deliver on an 800w ROM update.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I know with the Mogul that was the case and GPS was not a promised feature on that device, but an added plus, a freebie.
    Actually, while the Mogul was sold without Rev A and GPS, it was promised that an update would be released later to enable those features.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Keep the 800w if you don't mind having obsolete hardware with zero support from Palm or Sprint. Otherwise, you might want to upgrade to the Treo Pro or Touch Pro.
    I have a couple of good friends who swear by their 700wx and 755p, respectively. So not having the newest and shiniest device doesn't make the item obsolete, unless it doesn't meet your needs. The reality is that, because new phones are coming out at a faster and faster rate, any phone you buy will be "obsolete" before you can get a discounted rate on your next phone.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    @Darnell
    My frustration is that HTC has a track record of delivering devices that are slow and buggy. My own experience with the 6700 and Touch are what I base this on. The 700wx never needed "support" from Palm because it was a solid, fast, stable device from day 1. The 6700 had at least 3 updates in the first year I owned it - some may call that good support, but in my mind it was nothing less than expected as these patches were fixing critical bugs, many of which should have never gone out the door.

In addition to numerous critical bugs, the Touch was delivered without proper video drivers, and suffered performance problems as a result. (I think in most media players it still has to rely on frame-buffer...) Thank the heavens for the xda-dev's and their custom ROMs... I have a custom ROM on both my 6700 and Touch which has improved things considerably. (they are just now approaching 700wx speed...)

So when I hear (admittedly subjective) reports that the Touch Pro is sluggish, and that it appears to have old/bad/inefficient video drivers, I just have to roll my eyes because we've seen this before. It's embarrassing, and it amazes me that there are as many HTC fanboys as there are (sprintusers.com is full of them), given that this company has a track record of cutting corners and delivering shoddy software.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not a fanboy of Palm or anyone else, but I guess I've just had it with HTC. To be fair though, I love their hardware and I give them a lot of credit for pushing the envelope with things like TF3D.
    The Touch Pro is like lightning compared to the 700wx. It's only "slow" when you run massive amounts of programs and video-intensive apps at the same time. Something that you couldn't even attempt with a 700wx unless you like watching your phone burst info flames.

FWIW, the 700wx has needed massive help from third-party developers as have most HTC devices. The great thing is that the support is there. Custom ROMs are always the best option. An option that the tossed-on-the-scrap heap 800w will never have.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The Touch Pro is like lightning compared to the 700wx.
    Well I would certainly hope it's faster than the 700wx.. Who's comparing the TP to the 700wx? Did you mean the 800w?
    FWIW, the 700wx has needed massive help from third-party developers as have most HTC devices.
    It has? Help with what exactly?
    I won't dispute the 700wx being a stable device, even many current and former 800w owners say that and are upset with much about the 800w in comparison.

We're heading for 6 months without a major 800w ROM update and it sure does need one.

What I'm hearing about HTC's past is my present with Palm and the 800w. Although regarding different functions. And now it seems HTC from what I'm seeing is doing better, while Palm is disappointing me and used to do so much better. I guess it has something to do with the viability of the companies overall.

When similarly configured to the 800w (Touch Flo off, ClearType off), there are no claims the Touch Pro is sluggish. And Touch Pro owners who used to have 800ws say they can run more at once with the Touch Pro, with no stability issues.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I won't dispute the 700wx being a stable device, even many current and former 800w owners say that and are upset with much about the 800w in comparison.

We're heading for 6 months without a major 800w ROM update and it sure does need one.

What I'm hearing about HTC's past is my present with Palm and the 800w. Although regarding different functions. And now it seems HTC from what I'm seeing is doing better, while Palm is disappointing me and used to do so much better. I guess it has something to do with the viability of the companies overall.

When similarly configured to the 800w (Touch Flo off, ClearType off), there are no claims the Touch Pro is sluggish. And Touch Pro owners who used to have 800ws say they can run more at once with the Touch Pro, with no stability issues.
    I don't own either, so I'll take your word for it. I really hope HTC is doing a better job software-wise than they used to. The 700wx was far and away the most stable WM device I've ever owned. (and I've had a few ) I would routinely get 2-month uptimes on that thing. With my Touch I'm lucky to see 2 weeks.
    I never had a 700wx, but you folks make me sort of wish I got one back when they were released. With the 800w being my first WM device, any issues not only taint my impression of the device, but even WM in general. My up time with the 800w is based on if I'm doing anything multimedia related for a few hours any given day. Because that plus trying to handle other things that may end up multitasking stress the device and it will eventually take a nap if I don't soft reset.

I used to not want any of the touch screen devices at all. But has helped me feel I may be able to live with touching the screen more . I know we don't have the Touch HD here in the USA, but I don't feel like touching the screen with my finger is not such a "taboo" anymore . (And the newer devices do nothing but promote touching the screen, so I might as well get used to it.)
    Minsc, I don't think HTC made the 6700. I believe it was UTStar/Audiovox. HTC I think said they could do a better job and made the 6800.

I can agree the Mogul was slow but at the time Sprint wanted a 6.0 Windows Mobile phone released right away. The Mogul was the first. However since it was only made for WM5 the RAM was only 64MB. We all know WM5 with 64MB was fast and stable (700wx had it). A few months later HTC released the Tilt on AT&T which was the Mogul with real 250/128MB. People still love that device. My buddy still runs it along with his FUZE and Treo Pro (SIM cards rule).

Fast forward to today. HTC is changing the market in the US. They are the first with a VGA screen, 3.2MP Camera and their own UI. It would take Palm another 2 years to release this stuff that's already out.

The FUZE (Touch Pro on AT&T) was proven to be just as fast as the Treo Pro (article on WME). With ClearType off on the Treo Pro it was as fast as the 800. With ClearType and TouchFlo off on my Touch Pro is pretty fast. Don't see the difference between this and the 800. Besides less than 1 second won't kill us.

I'm not bashing the 800, in fact I am a fan (had 3 of them) but like mentioned Palm and Sprint is giving up on it to make room for the Treo Pro. The HTC device has support from the Manufacture and now hackers (tier 2 support). They have designed ROM's for better performance, better applications and kitchen ROM's where you can design your own device. It's not that hard to do it and brick free if you follow the directions.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    HTC made the 6700. Its design name was "HTC Apache", which is the CDMA variant of the "HTC Wizard". UTStarcom is a US supplier aka middle-man between carriers and OEMs.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast