Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by impaler View Post
    I'm with an iPhone and AT&T for now, but I'd consider eating the ETF and coming back to Sprint for the Treo Pro! I hear so many good things about the GSM version of it.
    Why not just buy the GSM version of it then?
    my personal opinion. most users of the 800w don't use the things talked about on treocentral. most don't even know treocentral exist. the 800w is what it is...a phone and pda. there's newer and better technology coming out everyday. i would be broke it i kept up with technology. yes, i do like the treo pro, but for me to justify $500, no way. let's be happy we live in a country with the right to decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by slow_boy View Post
    let's be happy we live in a country with the right to decide.
    And the right to be angry and seek recourse for false adverting. And the right to stand up against being hectored for wanting advertised features.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Do you think the Treo 800w will be discontinued or not? What sort of implications would an EOL, if it were true, have?
    I think EOL, discontinued vs no longer advertised or promoted are equivalent in many ways. We don't know Palms own deal with Sprint or with its manufacturer. Maybe they fully expected Verizon to pick it up and have order and build structure with the manufacturer that allows them extremely low costs in continued manufacturer. There are many types of variables Sprint and Palm might have in wholesale pricing over time as well.

Maybe Sprint got these very cheaply in the first place after Verizon rejected it.

Maybe Palm and Sprint see a huge product liability issue with warranty issues with Standalone GPS and just as soon move on.

And certainly competition between makers and between providers means faster and faster aging of all handsets.

Perhaps Palm is going to announce more bad numbers at their quarterly results tomorrow and therefore they leaked the Sprint purchase of the Pro themselves to show their viability.

Any number of these factors or combination of them got us to this point.

Official EOL or not I sincerely doubt the 800w has much life left in it. I keep opening the newspaper and seeing print adverts and getting mailings from Sprint with the 800w conspicuously missing.

I think people like Malatesta have explained some of the reasons why there was a delay in the original 800w release. Point well made and Point taken. I would only counter to that, in good faith, that in my mind this means that there was a lot of time for Palm to consider issues such as battery and test how the GPS worked. We know both the 800w and the Treo Pro are bridging strategies anyway. The Pro is simply what the 800 should have been. In many ways despite only being a few months later, it is a product with a year more refinement.

I think the release of the Pro with Sprint is GOOD for many buyers of the 800w. Otherwise this would b e one very very lonely small user number product. It wont help with the audio outlet, several of the unique bugs and other notable differences, but the substantial larger user base likely with the pro, and probably some high demographic business users, will mean more wm 320x320 development both in programs and in aficionado fixes. It also means palm will have a better subsidized and selling product out there and Palm will be more healthy than it would otherwise be which is good for users as well.

Some one mentioned "thousands" of users with a certain issue on the HTC based on a thread and poll. Our polls number in the scores, not the hundreds or thousands. Clearly the 800w has nowhere near the user footprint of the HTC Pro. The HTC is the second cousin of the 800w but the CDMA Treo Pro is going to be the (more well off) brother. Having a brother product increasing the number of users will be a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    And the right to be angry and seek recourse for false adverting. And the right to stand up against being hectored for wanting advertised features.
    I agree. For my needs, i can live without whatever's missing. There's always more choices if one is not happy. That's life, we don't get what we always want or is advertised.
    Will Palm continue working to fix the busted GPS or have they given up? Any word on a bug-fix ROM?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Will Palm continue working to fix the busted GPS or have they given up? Any word on a bug-fix ROM?
    If a few more people actually worked on the problem rather than just complain about it, it might already be fixed by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If a few more people actually worked on the problem rather than just complain about it, it might already be fixed by now.
    Speaking of hectoring....

Some here have been telling people that Palm is not responsible and that their faq is correct. Most here laugh at the faq and know it is wrong and know that Palm has legal responsibility the efforts of some to obstruct an equally reasonable course of actions -- seeking redress and or repair from Palm. (you know, the company that promoted and advertised the feature but never tested or fixed it!)

Oh and exactly how has the assertion of consumer rights which everyone but you agrees on, slowed a user fix? Put another way -- I am sure tha some users could have taking a Ford Pinto apart, and tried to jury rig the gas tank so it didn't explode, but I am not sure how they would have been hampered by people asking Ford to fix it!
    aero, in fairness here nsxprime was merely baiting/asking a loaded question.

obviously no one here knows what Palm's intentions/plans are so it's a pointless question to ask ("Did you stop beating your wife yet?") and if there were rumors of an imminent ROM update, there would be a thread on it

so to respond to Ebag's somewhat sarcastic response as serious is over-reaching a bit here--you and I both know Ebag's response is related to the custom rom discussion from earlier where there are some who work on it and others who don't.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Any recent software updates to the Treo800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    Any recent software updates to the Treo800w?
    Just the two patches (USB and BT fix).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just the two patches (USB and BT fix).
    And some custom work done by a few hardworking people such as Hannip and Zbop.
    Nothing new in that thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Given Elevation just gave Palm another $100 million for more preferred shares, Palm has some extra cash to do more for the 800w if they really wanted to. (That's $100 million in addition to the cash they already had on hand.) But in recent months they have not shown much desire to do much in the way of improving the 800w. We're getting really close to 6 months and still no ROM update. They could use just a little of that $100 million (or the other cash on hand), to make a wired 3.5mm headset adapter.

The only news we've heard about the 800w, is that its replacement is on the way to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    But in recent months they have not shown much desire to do much in the way of improving the 800w. We're getting really close to 6 months and still no ROM update.
    Keep in mind that Palm has released two updates, and according to Hannip (who knows far far far more about the bluetooth side than I do), that was not a small update. That's the sort of update one would expect to see 3-6 months after a release, and we saw it in what, less than a month? Plus there was the usb/charging update, which while smaller was no mean project.

IIRC the 700wx took 9 months before a ROM update was pushed out.

The 700w was closer to a year, as it was released (if I remember right) about 2-3 months before the 700wx.

6 months is a long period of time, but given Palm's update history of longer than 6 months (pretty sure the 650 was closer to 9 months than 6 too), I don't think we should start crying that the sky is falling just yet.
    Keep in mind that Palm has released two updates, and according to Hannip (who knows far far far more about the bluetooth side than I do), that was not a small update. That's the sort of update one would expect to see 3-6 months after a release, and we saw it in what, less than a month? Plus there was the usb/charging update, which while smaller was no mean project.

IIRC the 700wx took 9 months before a ROM update was pushed out.

The 700w was closer to a year, as it was released (if I remember right) about 2-3 months before the 700wx.

6 months is a long period of time, but given Palm's update history of longer than 6 months (pretty sure the 650 was closer to 9 months than 6 too), I don't think we should start crying that the sky is falling just yet.
    I said in RECENT months, we all know about the prior two updates. The last came just as the Treo Pro hit the streets and none since. (Unless we consider that lame cover letter about GPS they released in September, which was not evidence that they are dedicated to any changes in that regard.)

9 months is no longer acceptable, given the faster release schedules.

Palm's already not releasing devices that are beyond all their competitors. (With the 800w, the device does not yet even meet their own specs.) If their update schedule is going to stay slow, it's just another example of why they will remain in 3rd place or worse.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Is the BT fix by Palm? What is it for?
    <rant>

9 months is no longer acceptable, given the faster release schedules.

Palm's already not releasing devices that are beyond all their competitors. (With the 800w, the device does not yet even meet their own specs.) If their update schedule is going to stay slow, it's just another example of why they will remain in 3rd place or worse.
    No where was I comparing Palm's release schedule to others.

Personally, I think 6 months is a good timeframe. Much shorter than that and you're probably doing something wrong to need a release that soon, much later than that and people get bored of the device and move on.

It's a fine line as to when to do a release, and I've always believed that Palm's releases have taken too long.

My point still stands though. Palm's typical ROM update releases are around 9 months. When 9 months hits without an update (which is certainly a possibility), then I will no longer expect one. I certainly am not basing my happiness and satisfaction off a release that may or may not happen, so if a ROM update does not happen that won't decrease the level of satisfaction I have with the 800w.

It's rather foolish to pin your hopes on what may happen. People I know bought the Mogul based on the promise of Rev A and GPS, which I thought was rather silly. Most of them were too unhappy with the phone to wait for the ROM update, and ended up switching.

Get a phone you're satisfied with now. You have 30 days to swap it. If you're not happy with it now, chances are you aren't going to be happy with it 6 months down the road, regardless of what updates have been released.
    Much shorter than that and you're probably doing something wrong to need a release that soon...
    Like the GPS that fails to work as advertised.

It's rather foolish to pin your hopes on what may happen.
    Which is why some of us feel Palm will never fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Is the BT fix by Palm? What is it for?
    You know: Treo 800w Voice Dialing Over Bluetooth
    Like the GPS that fails to work as advertised.

Which is why some of us feel Palm will never fix it.
    You know, it's rather sad that some people feel the need to harp on something that was discovered over five months ago.

It's time to move on, the rest of us have.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast