Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And so with the 800w, there are claims we need this EOL notification, while just as was already cited regarding the Touch and Mogul, they are GONE.
    Yep, as many users noted you could tell it was canceled when all the adverting when out with it conspicuously missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But EOL is a specific date/time frame, usually contingent upon stock availability. It rarely means that they "pull" the device all at once. Furthermore, EOL is usually announced months in advance to deplete channels without refilling them to minimize overlap.

Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty positive Sprint will phase out the 800w when the Treo Pro goes on sale, as they should. It's redundant otherwise, which is why the Mogul and Touch are gone too.

But until all their re-sale channels are filled with the Pro (dependent on supply channels), they will sell them side by side usually for 1-2 months, with the old phone significantly discounted (Touch for $49 is an example). Speaking of the Touch, it only had a 10 month run on Sprint before it was replaced.

One could easily test this: call 5-7 Sprint stores and ask if they have the 800w in stock and how many. If many are reporting out of stock or only 1 or 2, it's a good chance inventory is being reduced. If inventory does not get pushed fast enough, they'll cut prices e.g. $49 HTC Touch.

And no one is "offended" at the 800w going. I'm all for rapid device replacements and deployments. Six to nine months is enough time to roll out a new model.

The difference here though is unique: for some of us, the Treo Pro is barely an upgrade, it's more of a hardware refresh. For Sprint though, the goal is to lure in more new customers and to re-sign existing, which hopefully the Treo Pro will do.
    Mal/Mel/John/Paul
    I agree with most of this. Obviously Sprint probably has a good deal of backed up stock, new and especially, returns. I think the goal though for Sprint is to keep existing customers, not just lure more in. The loss of existing customers, which is a problem particular to Sprint, is an issue, and I think one exacerbated by the 800w.

Certainly also the cadence of smartphone releases will quicken. Normal accounts and handsets have reached near saturation and there is fighting over market share and moving profit per user up with data that remain. So a fiercely competitive, innovative diverse and rapidly moving smartphone line are key.

I would simply recall however the many posts stating Sprint had no need to pick up the 800w because it was the same as the 800w or that Sprint or Palm would be hurting themselves by moving to a CDMA Pro, when it is obvious that Palm and Sprint clearly know the Pro is better and are helping themselves by moving on from the 800w as rapidly as possible
    Darnell,

All your posts here are just hypotheses with the intent to reinforce your unhappiness with the 800w.

You, along with nsxprime, and Vibrant are all on the same page in this regard--you guys just pile on, bolstering each other at every turn, e.g none of you like the 800w, ergo it's a "dud".

You obviously have an aggressive agenda at TC now, which is to criticize Palm everywhere you can. I would hope that your contributions to TC can go deeper than just "Palm malcontent", like maybe helping out people. Right now though, it seems you are headed down that road of being consumed by your dislike of your 800w--it motivates most of your posts these days. (Same with Vibrant, nsxprime).

Why not just get a different device and be happy? No need to like Palm. Think of all the free time you'll have not posting out of frustration. None of us are trying to convince you to like Palm or love your Treo.

I have no issue here. I don't take this stuff personally nor am I offended, this is just a phone and is inconsequential. I don't know how the 800w did at Sprint, nor do I care to speculate--none of us do. All I know is Sprint has been very aggressive at getting new devices and they give Palm a lot of business. So this move by them is hardly surprising, in fact it's predictable. That's all I care to commit to.

Speaking for myself, I'm content with my 800w and I'm excited about the Treo Pro; I really don't care about Sprint or Palm's motivation here (nor their future) as it doesn't matter to me, a consumer. I find it trivial, disruptive and have been trying to show this forum how this industry is not black/white, but grey with varying factors.

You and I differ there.

For everyone else: please don't have your happiness dependent on technology. Choose a phone you like and try not to spend hours a day bashing something that is 100% optional in your busy lives. It's just not worth it and we are privileged enough to have many options in the world.

I'm out.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/16/2008 at 07:06 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Darnell,

All your posts here are just hypotheses with the intent to reinforce your unhappiness with the 800w.

You, along with nsxprime, and Vibrant are all on the same page in this regard--you guys just pile on, bolstering each other at every turn, e.g none of you like the 800w, ergo it's a "dud".

You obviously have an aggressive agenda at TC now, which is to criticize Palm everywhere you can. I would hope that your contributions to TC can go deeper than just "Palm malcontent", like maybe helping out people. Right now though, it seems you are headed down that road of being consumed by your dislike of your 800w--it motivates most of your posts these days. (Same with Vibrant, nsxprime).

Why not just get a different device and be happy? No need to like Palm. Think of all the free time you'll have not posting out of frustration. None of us are trying to convince you to like Palm or love your Treo.

I have no issue here. I don't take this stuff personally nor am I offended, this is just a phone and is inconsequential. I don't know how the 800w did at Sprint, nor do I care to speculate--none of us do. All I know is Sprint has been very aggressive at getting new devices and they give Palm a lot of business. So this move by them is hardly surprising, in fact it's predictable. That's all I care to commit to.

Speaking for myself, I'm content with my 800w and I'm excited about the Treo Pro; I really don't care about Sprint or Palm's motivation here (nor their future) as it doesn't matter to me, a consumer. I find it trivial, disruptive and have been trying to show this forum how this industry is not black/white, but grey with varying factors.

You and I differ there.

For everyone else: please don't have your happiness dependent on technology. Choose a phone you like and try not to spend hours a day bashing something that is 100% optional in your busy lives. It's just not worth it and we are privileged enough to have many options in the world.

I'm out.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I have expressed numerous times in many threads that I actually like the 800. Back in July when I went through two of them in 18 days, yes I was pissed. However I came back a third time which shows my devotion to Palm. I have a thread that is still currently generating lots of traffic where I compared the 800 vs. the Touch Pro. I gave a fair and honest comparison. The 800 won in many categories. If I hated it so much I would have just bashed it the entire time. As far as my contribution, everyone who asked a question in that thread got an answer. I took a trip with both the 800 and Touch Pro because a member wanted me to test out GPS side by side. I've bought and sold 800's to a few members on the forum (including your friend). Now your calling us out? How about the bashing you've done about HTC? How about the baiting in threads? Don't point fingers at us, you do exactly the same thing. I can careless about what Sprint or Palm does either. I am a happy Sprint customer with a device I enjoy. So we disagree about EOL's, support or whatever, who cares. It makes for interesting reading regardless. Yes, you and I differ, on that we can agree.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.

For everyone else: please don't have your happiness dependent on technology. Choose a phone you like ...
    Amen. My happiness is only dependent upon the 800w keyboard. In fact, I don't even need the phone. Just the keyboard.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Would Palm update the OS if there is a new WM out there for the 800w?

I just got my new 800w from flebay 5 months ago and if it can last me 1 more year, I would be happy.

I have to tell you I dont like any of the phones out there as of now, not the HTC, BB, Samsung or even the iphone!
    Darnell,

You and I differ there.

I'm out.
    Here we go with the personal taunting again .

Here are some threads where recently and even today I've been trying to help people:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174796

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174703

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174702

Now I don't feel under any obligation to always post in a manner you might find pleasing. I see no requirement here that I can't be a critical 800w owner and critical of Palm in every comment I make, if I so choose although as I've shown not every comment I make is like that. (Even when critical I've noted I feel Palm has the talent to make a great device OS.) I know I've been informed by those who manage this blog that personal attacks and insults are not permitted, but I've never been told that criticism of a device or the device maker is not allowed.

So I say to you what I've said to you before, I will stay so long as permitted and say what I desire to say. If you dislike my comments, the "ignore" button is still yours to use in my regard.

My happiness is certainly not at all dependent on a smart phone. What I speak here is about a device and not my full life. I'm a sinner saved by grace through Jesus Christ and always happy I received a gift I didn't deserve. Here we typically discuss the device we own or have owned, so I understand you might feel all I think about is the device, since that's all we discuss here. I used to participate in the "Off Topic" forum in the past, but I've found participating there usually results in all the things the moderators have already informed me are not permitted here.

So I say, if someone wants happiness, Jesus is the answer.
    I respectfully disagree but that is a conversation not suited to the topic of this thread lest the Christian martyr has descended from his mythological home to ensure the discontinuation of the Treo 800w. ;-)
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Darnell,

You and I differ there.

I'm out.
    The voice of reason has spoken

I'm about 100% certain it will fall on deaf ears.

Besides listening to those boys bit@h about a phone nobody is forcing them to use or own is how I get my daily entertainment.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Here we go with the personal taunting again .

Here are some threads where recently and even today I've been trying to help people:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174796

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174703

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=174702

Now I don't feel under any obligation to always post in a manner you might find pleasing. I see no requirement here that I can't be a critical 800w owner and critical of Palm in every comment I make, if I so choose although as I've shown not every comment I make is like that. (Even when critical I've noted I feel Palm has the talent to make a great device OS.) I know I've been informed by those who manage this blog that personal attacks and insults are not permitted, but I've never been told that criticism of a device or the device maker is not allowed.

So I say to you what I've said to you before, I will stay so long as permitted and say what I desire to say. If you dislike my comments, the "ignore" button is still yours to use in my regard.

My happiness is certainly not at all dependent on a smart phone. What I speak here is about a device and not my full life. I'm a sinner saved by grace through Jesus Christ and always happy I received a gift I didn't deserve. Here we typically discuss the device we own or have owned, so I understand you might feel all I think about is the device, since that's all we discuss here. I used to participate in the "Off Topic" forum in the past, but I've found participating there usually results in all the things the moderators have already informed me are not permitted here.

I'd like people to try to not personally address each other's motivations here -- back on topic:

Do you think the Treo 800w will be discontinued or not? What sort of implications would an EOL, if it were true, have?

...I'd prefer this not devolve into another "TREO 800W SUX" "DOES NOT" "DOES TOO" type thread, either. We can talk about the above without restarting all that again.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Maybe Treo should not come out with the Treo Pro after all. It cant complete with the iphone for sure.

I hope the 800w stay.

Would it be nice if Palm comes out with new phone ever 4 months just like what Canon did with their SD camera. I have lost count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I'd like people to try to not personally address each other's motivations here -- back on topic:

Do you think the Treo 800w will be discontinued or not? What sort of implications would an EOL, if it were true, have?

...I'd prefer this not devolve into another "TREO 800W SUX" "DOES NOT" "DOES TOO" type thread, either. We can talk about the above without restarting all that again.
    I agree, calling people out by name is unprofessional.

As for when it is discontinued what implications will it have? It means alot less traffic on these boards. A guess that's a good thing for some.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Do you think the Treo 800w will be discontinued or not?
    Yes, Sprint is going to drop it. I don't at all think the 800w will have a 1 year birthday party at Sprint on July 14, 2009. They've got the replacement ready to go.

Palm of course will sell it, but at the unsubsidized rate and considering the 700wx sells for a rather high price now, the 800w sales will be near zero.

What sort of implications would an EOL, if it were true, have?
    The strength of device support often depends on the number of device users. I mean LOOK at the Iphone support. Some stores have full sections totally dedicated to IPhone accessories, tons of sites and so many users that any problem has a large mass of people who have experienced the same and can offer a resolution. Or if the issue has no resolution, complain in mass to the point either a 3rd party of the device manufacturer will address the need. And if not properly addressed, Apple KNOWS they'll be having to defend their actions in court, because they know lawsuits will fly given they are now a big target. Basically, with something that sells like the IPhone, there is much market pressure that results in many options to improve their product and ensure customers get what they paid for.

Opposite is true for the 800w and this latest news will ensure nothing changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I agree, calling people out by name is unprofessional.
    You should be used to it by now.

As for when it is discontinued what implications will it have?
    None... the phone will be replaced with something newer and better...

It means alot less traffic on these boards. A guess that's a good thing for some.
    How is that a good thing for anyone here?

As always, things depend on how the new palm os stands.... can't see the future. It would be a miracle of epic proportions for palm to pull themselves out of this mess they are in... not to even mention the state of our economy going into the 2009.

BTW... good post Malatesta.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    thanks for welcome 2009

And yet some people persist in doing it. Odd.

There will be almost no implications from the 800w being EOL'd. The 800w is already not being supported by Sprint, Palm or the end-user community. It would be impossible for it to have any less support so killing it off after only six months shouldn't affect anything.

People who have it and like it can continue to use it and like it because nothing on it will be changing. People who have/had it and can't use it because of all the problems will get an upgrade to the Treo Pro or Touch Pro.

It's just more bad news for Palm who sunk too much money and time into developing a phone with fatally-flawed hardware that no one wanted. Putting a bit of that development money into the CDMA Treo Pro an getting it out a little sooner would probably have been the wiser decision.
    This is really disappointing news.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsYet View Post
    This is disappointing. I bought the 800w the day it came out and have been (mostly) very happy with it since.

Any ideas about how this might affect the Equipment Protection Plan?
    for the protection plans, it transfers to whatever phone is registered on your active line.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast