Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Really the main difference between those two is a sliding keyboard, as far as the feature list goes.
    Yes, but this is pretty major distinguishing feature. The Treo Pro and 800w are both front-facing qwerty devices running WM 6.1 with WiFi, GPS, etc, etc. Other than cosmetics and some miscellaneous things, there are no substantial differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I do have some foundation for my claim.

Sprint Treo Pro Nearly Confirmed
    No Darnell, you do not.

PIC is reporting off of the same Engadget story as everyone else. They are interpreting "replace" and EOL as the same and they are not.

Simply linking to another version of the same story does not make your argument.

For everyone: look, until we see Sprint's EOL list, this really a dumb discussion as it is all speculation. We have no numbers of sales, no idea of costs and have no idea what Sprint and Palm is going to do here.

It can go either way and we can all come up with great stories of why--doesn't make it any more intelligent though.

It's okay sometimes to just say: We don't know, lets wait and see.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/16/2008 at 11:47 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Yes, but this is pretty major distinguishing feature. The Treo Pro and 800w are both front-facing qwerty devices running WM 6.1 with WiFi, GPS, etc, etc. Other than cosmetics and some miscellaneous things, there are no substantial differences.
    The Treo Pro has a 3.5mm headphone jack which is pretty major judging by the various threads around here. Also, the Treo Pro doesn't have the physical soft keys like the 800w. and the Treo Pro keyboard, yes it's front facing but still is quite inferior (IMO) than the 800w. It depends on what is important to you in regards to your device.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    The Treo Pro has a 3.5mm headphone jack which is pretty major judging by the various threads around here. Also, the Treo Pro doesn't have the physical soft keys like the 800w. and the Treo Pro keyboard, yes it's front facing but still is quite inferior (IMO) than the 800w. It depends on what is important to you in regards to your device.
    You're absolutely correct, but view this not from an enthusiasts point of view but that of a marketing department who has the general public in mind. The masses probably view the physical keyboard (sliding no less!) as a major difference, whereas they likely wouldn't even notice (or understand the ramifications of) the 3.5mm jack and soft buttons.

To those of us here who analyze spec sheets it seems like the 2 are more different than they are in the eyes of everyone else.

Who knows, just my speculation.
    You're absolutely correct, but view this not from an enthusiasts point of view but that of a marketing department who has the general public in mind. The masses probably view the physical keyboard (sliding no less!) as a major difference, whereas they likely wouldn't even notice (or understand the ramifications of) the 3.5mm jack and soft buttons.

To those of us here who analyze spec sheets it seems like the 2 are more different than they are in the eyes of everyone else.

Who knows, just my speculation.
    I doubt most will care about the different keyboards or the matter of soft keys, but I do think they'll notice the 3.5mm jack. That's why Palm "fixed" (as NSXPrime would say) the 800w with a Treo Pro that has the 3.5mm jack.

And the GPS on the Treo 800w is NOT the same as the one on the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I doubt most will care about the different keyboards or the matter of soft keys, but I do think they'll notice the 3.5mm jack. That's why Palm "fixed" (as NSXPrime would say) the 800w with a Treo Pro that has the 3.5mm jack.

And the GPS on the Treo 800w is NOT the same as the one on the Treo Pro.
    If I had my mom, dad, or any of my non-techie friends or co-workers walk into a Sprint store and spend a few minutes playing with the 800w and Treo Pro (assuming it existed today) I can guarantee you not a single one of them would notice the headphone jack (or lack of one), and they absolutely wouldn't know/understand/care about the differences in GPS. They would say, "ooh, this one is skinnier and is black - I want that one!"

Again, my point wasn't that WE don't know or care about the differences, it's that the general public wouldn't - and therefore if Sprint were to discontinue the 800w it could be justified given that the 2 devices overlap a fair amount.
    If I had my mom, dad, or any of my non-techie friends or co-workers walk into a Sprint store and spend a few minutes playing with the 800w and Treo Pro (assuming it existed today) I can guarantee you not a single one of them would notice the headphone jack (or lack of one), and they absolutely wouldn't know/understand/care about the differences in GPS. They would say, "ooh, this one is skinnier and is black - I want that one!"

Again, my point wasn't that WE don't know or care about the differences, it's that the general public wouldn't - and therefore if Sprint were to discontinue the 800w it could be justified given that the 2 devices overlap a fair amount.
    I fully understand your opinion. I made my comment fully knowing what you are saying. I still feel a good number of customers would recognize the 3.5mm jack. Let the sales person tell them the device can play music and they'll REALLY notice it then.

Let's round up all your non-techie friends and family and test .
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    It also could be that my non-techie friends are "non-techier" than the general public....
    I see people are getting offended that the 800 is being labeled as EOL.

Let's try to find something that fits.

The 800 is not EOL its:
    Gone, Ba-Bye, It's out of here, Smell you Later, Chow, Sianara, etc.

Doesn't make a difference does it? It's over. EOL sounds better anyway.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.

Well said.

Heck, not that long ago my wife was talking to her sister and saying how "we had the same phone."

My wife has a 700wx....

No wifi, no GPS, horrible power plug, slower, less memory, WM6.0 instead of 6.1, not as nice a keyboard, thicker, heavier, antenna that sticks out.....but to her they are the same.

I've heard the same from other people who have Centro's, 700wx's, or other similar devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I see people are getting offended that the 800 is being labeled as EOL.

Let's try to find something that fits.

The 800 is not EOL its:
    Gone, Ba-Bye, It's out of here, Smell you Later, Chow, Sianara, etc.

Doesn't make a difference does it? It's over. EOL sounds better anyway.
    I guess I wouldn't say *offended* as I would mildly disappointed. Yes, there are some problems with the 800w and on balance I think the Treo Pro will likely be a better device. However that's for me and for my usage -- I can definitely imagine a situation where the larger keyboard, (likely) brighter screen, internal Palm tweaks to WM, and even overall form-factor preference would cause some people to wish that the 800w had a longer life and more support from Palm.

It's not the dud some make it out to be, but it's not the greatest phone ever either.

...that is, assuming that it HAS been EOL'd, we won't know for sure for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    They are interpreting "replace" and EOL as the same and they are not.
    Except to enterprise buyers, other customers, store salespeople, reviewers etc, for whom "replace" means the 800w is done.
    You are missing the important customer -- Sprint itself, which certainly cares about the bad rep and issues the 800w has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Heck, not that long ago my wife was talking to her sister and saying how "we had the same phone."
    Do you think your sister would consider buying a Treo? If someone is not informed of what the device capabilities are, they could look at a Centro and call it the "same". If someone just wants a "phone" well than they really have no real need to consider anything of the Treo line.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You are missing the important customer -- Sprint itself, which certainly cares about the bad rep and issues the 800w has.
    Sprint's view of it, is whatever MAKES MONEY. Which is why we know the 800w has proven to be counter to their goal.

Dead, dud, flop.

Hey, plenty of flops have fans.

Do you think your sister would consider buying a Treo? If someone is not informed of what the device capabilities are, they could look at a Centro and call it the "same". If someone just wants a "phone" well than they really have no real need to consider anything of the Treo line.
    It depends on your perspective.

For many people, WM phones, Blackberries, Palm OS, and iPhones are all the same. After all, you can do everything on one (generally) that you can on another.

I talked with one person who consider them the same as the difference between HP and Dell. When I tried to explain that they were different operating systems, he looked smugly at me and said: "yeah, like XP and Vista." *facepalm*

It's a lot like when people compare Linux to Windows to Mac OS. No one cares what they use, as long as they know how to use it and it does everything they need it to. I've taken long time Windows users and put them on a Linux box (or LiveCD), and had them using it just as comfortably as their Windows system (in some cases more so) within a matter of minutes.

For me, there's a big difference between the 700wx and 800w. For my wife, there is no difference. And based on my experience in the IT world, I suspect that my wifes view is far closer to the general users view than my own.

Sprint's view of it, is whatever MAKES MONEY. Which is why we know the 800w has proven to be counter to their goal.

Dead, dud, flop.
    Sprint doesn't make money off phones, they lose money. Off pretty much all their phones.

They make money off people having contracts. If the 800w attracts even a very small % of people, then Sprint is making money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I guess I wouldn't say *offended* as I would mildly disappointed. Yes, there are some problems with the 800w and on balance I think the Treo Pro will likely be a better device. However that's for me and for my usage -- I can definitely imagine a situation where the larger keyboard, (likely) brighter screen, internal Palm tweaks to WM, and even overall form-factor preference would cause some people to wish that the 800w had a longer life and more support from Palm.

It's not the dud some make it out to be, but it's not the greatest phone ever either.

...that is, assuming that it HAS been EOL'd, we won't know for sure for awhile.
    Palm was one update away from removing the "dud" status from the 800. If they would just have supported the device instead of ditching it all together they might have gotten some repeat customers. For most of us if Palm had a stronger financial future, supported the 800 we might have bought another Palm device.

EOL is not for awhile but we all it's coming.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Sprint doesn't make money off phones, they lose money. Off pretty much all their phones.

They make money off people having contracts. If the 800w attracts even a very small % of people, then Sprint is making money.
    Yea as I said:
    The 800w is not helping Sprint meet their goal, to make money.

And regardless what anyone says, it would hold its price better on Ebay if it was selling well.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Except to enterprise buyers, other customers, store salespeople, reviewers etc, for whom "replace" means the 800w is done.
    Aero/BTSmith/Lman/Oln, etc.

Indeed the term generally means that yes, eventually the device will be replaced.

But both the Mogul and Touch sold for awhile when their "replacements" were made available (and both are now gone from Sprint's lineup--Touch was gone weeks ago, Mogul gone within the last week, despite Darrnel's incorrect assertion).

But EOL is a specific date/time frame, usually contingent upon stock availability. It rarely means that they "pull" the device all at once. Furthermore, EOL is usually announced months in advance to deplete channels without refilling them to minimize overlap.

Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty positive Sprint will phase out the 800w when the Treo Pro goes on sale, as they should. It's redundant otherwise, which is why the Mogul and Touch are gone too.

But until all their re-sale channels are filled with the Pro (dependent on supply channels), they will sell them side by side usually for 1-2 months, with the old phone significantly discounted (Touch for $49 is an example). Speaking of the Touch, it only had a 10 month run on Sprint before it was replaced.

One could easily test this: call 5-7 Sprint stores and ask if they have the 800w in stock and how many. If many are reporting out of stock or only 1 or 2, it's a good chance inventory is being reduced. If inventory does not get pushed fast enough, they'll cut prices e.g. $49 HTC Touch.

And no one is "offended" at the 800w going. I'm all for rapid device replacements and deployments. Six to nine months is enough time to roll out a new model.

The difference here though is unique: for some of us, the Treo Pro is barely an upgrade, it's more of a hardware refresh. For Sprint though, the goal is to lure in more new customers and to re-sign existing, which hopefully the Treo Pro will do.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/16/2008 at 05:00 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The interesting thing here, is that there are claims that an EOL notification will come later. While with the Touch and Mogul it has been cited that they were "replaced" and are no longer being promoted for sale by Sprint. So the Mogul and Touch are gone. (Oh wo is me, they didnt' let me know they stopped selling the Mogul .) The Mogul and Touch are effectively EOL with Sprint. Where is the EOL notification for the Mogul and Touch, but they are gone?

And so with the 800w, there are claims we need this EOL notification, while just as was already cited regarding the Touch and Mogul, they are GONE. They are EOLed (oh maybe it has not been documented yet, but Sprint is not pushing them, they're gone) and the 800w is going to be gone too. Oh my, maybe it will take a couple more months and the 800w will have a whopping 8 months of sell time on the Sprint web site, but it's been EOLed, it's going and Sprint does not want it back.

A short lived device that only one carrier ever picked up and never had an unlocked version.

Bottom line is, the device was not something the public had a strong desire for and it's dead.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast