Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Please cite where I've made statements that gave you the impression I wanted you to be dissatisfied based on my being dissatisfied with the product?

I have mentioned my own dissatisfaction and that you've made statements that really don't show you're as "into" the 800w as someone such as Cel. I've never told you to be dissatisfied and I've never asked Cel to be either. Your statements simply gave their own impression given your eying other products. I'm not trying to make you dissatisfied. Just speaking of what you've said yourself. Are you offering views that you don't desire be analyzed for comment?
    No, I'm offering the view that I think this is a ludicrous conversation - I think I know my level of satisfaction better than you. I think I'm done talking with you about this.
    Last edited by Bujin; 12/15/2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I for one am looking forward to the Treo Pro being released because hopefully the "latest and greatest" effect will drop 800w prices a bit more on eBay. I'm on Mogul #3 right now, and I still swap back to my 700P from time to time because in the long run, the whole slider thing just wasn't for me. Between the lag to redraw on rotation (I know- lag to redraw? and I use a laggy 700P) and I REALLY miss the one-handed use, I'll be going back to a Treo.

To the poster(s) who mention the fact that the Mogul and the Touch Pro are both currently for sale by Sprint, take note that (at least online from Sprint, I haven't asked in my local store because I'm too busy trying to get my Mogul replaced again whenever I'm there) the Mogul and the Touch Pro are both listed at the same price, but the Mogul is available where the TPro is "currently unavailable." I'm sure as the Touch Pro becomes more available and the existing supplies of Moguls dwindle, the Mogul will be EOL'd.
    Hi Bujin, never my intention to offend, but yes it's time we move on .

Quote Originally Posted by slabay View Post
    I'm sure as the Touch Pro becomes more available and the existing supplies of Moguls dwindle, the Mogul will be EOL'd.
    You've got to understand, if Palm stopped selling the Moguls the day they started selling the Touch Pro it would not really matter as much as with the 800w situation we are seeing. Because the Mogul has had a much longer run. Sprint released the Mogul over a year ago and still sells it, while they have had the 800w less than 6 months and already have plans to dump it. The Mogul is doing a tour with Sprint that is very much the norm, the 800w is leaving Sprint in RECORD time. I'll say it again, if the 800w was selling, Sprint would keep it.

I do think, if any company can make a new mobile device OS that is the best the world has ever seen before, Palm has the talent and experience to do it. I just don't know if they have the genius to sell it well enough to save the company. That's the one we're all watching, to see how it goes. (And we're not 100% certain the OS is the best ever yet.) But they've got to get rid of this device that looks like something Frankenstein would use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Part of me is going to lament this move as the 700wx and 800w are my favorite WM devices and I like their look--seriuosly, I really dig the 800ws style as it stands out. Others call it ugly, lol.
    I'm with you, Mal. Since the first pics of the 850/Pro were released I've been saying that I much prefer the look (and keyboard style) of the 800w... This whole thing is really disappointing to me.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    so sad that the 800w is getting offed. I just don't like the keyboards of the pro and the centro. That's one thing I definitely would hate giving up with my 800w. maybe in the next 20 months something super will come out. that saga looks pretty nice though but I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmatma04 View Post
    so sad that the 800w is getting offed. I just don't like the keyboards of the pro and the centro. That's one thing I definitely would hate giving up with my 800w. maybe in the next 20 months something super will come out. that saga looks pretty nice though but I don't know.
    If you have an 800 then everything should be fine for you... unless it dies... even then, I'm sure the palm gods could find an 800 for you... or maybe by then, something else you love will be out.

I think everyone is overblowing this entire thing....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    The Treo Pro is not a business PDA. Anything shiny is not for business.

So I thinK Palm should keep the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    The Treo Pro is not a business PDA. Anything shiny is not for business.

So I thinK Palm should keep the 800w.
    It's not just about Palm, unfortunately... It's about the carriers and the consumers as well.

As far as shiny not being for business, I think the Blackberry Curve and Bold prove you wrong... LOL
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Palm's market cap is around $215M and they have more in cash. This alone shows there is no way in hell the Treo Pro or a new OS will save them. HTC in one month (November) reported sales of $528M. RIMM around $20B annually. Nokia around $50B annually. These numbers show how to survive in this market. Plus these Companies have many more device down the pike. What does Palm have?

In short the 800 is a dud and finally gone. They have one Windows device left. I'd say the 800 forums will be a ghost town in a few months.

Some may love their 800's, some may hate it. Who cares, Palm is at its EOL.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Sprint released the Mogul over a year ago and still sells it, while they have had the 800w less than 6 months and already have plans to dump it. The Mogul is doing a tour with Sprint that is very much the norm, the 800w is leaving Sprint in RECORD time. I'll say it again, if the 800w was selling, Sprint would keep it.
    Darnell, you're conflating terms here.

The Touch Pro "replaced" the HTC Mogul. But the Mogul was never EOLd.

The Treo Pro is "replacing" the Treo 800w. But the 800w has not yet been EOLd either.

Until we get word that the 800w is EOLd, it is premature to suggest that they will "stop selling it".

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Palm's market cap is around $215M and they have more in cash. This alone shows there is no way in hell the Treo Pro or a new OS will save them. HTC in one month (November) reported sales of $528M. RIMM around $20B annually. Nokia around $50B annually. These numbers show how to survive in this market. Plus these Companies have many more device down the pike. What does Palm have?

In short the 800 is a dud and finally gone. They have one Windows device left. I'd say the 800 forums will be a ghost town in a few months.

Some may love their 800's, some may hate it. Who cares, Palm is at its EOL.
    You know it's funny you say that.

People are often comparing between companies going "oh this company lost XX% of market share to that company" but often fail to look at the bigger picture.

The smartphone/pda market is a huge market and growing.

As a simple example, take a look at this post on WMExperts.

The story shows that between (roughly) first and second quarter of 2008 that Blackberry market share dropped from ~53% to ~45%. The WM market share dropped from ~22% to ~17%. Palm OS market share dropped from ~11% to ~9%.

That's a total drop of 15%.

On the other side, iPhone sales rose in market share from ~8% to ~30%, for a total rise of 22%.

Does anyone honestly believe that 8% of BB users turned in their BB's for an iPhone? Of course not. Did 5% of WM users turn their phone in for an iPhone? Probably not.

Sure there was some cannibalization of sales, where people moved from one smartphone to another, but a very large chunk of iPhone sales were from new users.

That's why WM is losing market share.....even while it's actually growing in actual usage.

There is tons of room for Palm to grow and have respectable sales, even if they are a relatively small player compared to BB or the iPhone. Palm might only have 10% of the market....but if that market is measured in millions or even billions, you're talking about some serious cash there.

(Thanks to Dieter and Mal for talking about that in the latest podcast. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You know it's funny you say that.

People are often comparing between companies going "oh this company lost XX% of market share to that company" but often fail to look at the bigger picture.

The smartphone/pda market is a huge market and growing.

As a simple example, take a look at this post on WMExperts.

The story shows that between (roughly) first and second quarter of 2008 that Blackberry market share dropped from ~53% to ~45%. The WM market share dropped from ~22% to ~17%. Palm OS market share dropped from ~11% to ~9%.

That's a total drop of 15%.

On the other side, iPhone sales rose in market share from ~8% to ~30%, for a total rise of 22%.

Does anyone honestly believe that 8% of BB users turned in their BB's for an iPhone? Of course not. Did 5% of WM users turn their phone in for an iPhone? Probably not.

Sure there was some cannibalization of sales, where people moved from one smartphone to another, but a very large chunk of iPhone sales were from new users.

That's why WM is losing market share.....even while it's actually growing in actual usage.

There is tons of room for Palm to grow and have respectable sales, even if they are a relatively small player compared to BB or the iPhone. Palm might only have 10% of the market....but if that market is measured in millions or even billions, you're talking about some serious cash there.

(Thanks to Dieter and Mal for talking about that in the latest podcast. )

You missed the point as usual. The businesses or retail consumers causing those market share drops are not moving their business to Palm. Those people are bouncing their business around to the real players in the PDA market (BB, HTC, Apple, etc.). Palm is most likely the only double digit loser per quarter in the industry.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    A sprint rep gave me a "courtesy call" yesterday. I mentioned that my phone has a few bugs and that I heard a rumor that it was going to be discontinued. She said that they are discontinuing the Centro too, although she called it the Centrino.

She also mentioned that I have a $150 credit to use toward an upgrade as part of a loyalty program, which is strange since I just signed up with Sprint in July.
    We may have had our debates in the past, but Socomon you and I now agree like never before. And really I don't want them to hold off on anything new till they get the 800w right. I want them to keep making new stuff and still well support the device just released less than a year ago. But we've got no wired 3.5mm adapter (do you know of any other Treo that has no wired 3.5mm access not even via an adapter), no official statement from Palm that they will resolve the GPS issue and they've not even bothered to try and make up for the defect. As I've mentioned before, when an older Treo model had space issues that seemed unusual, Palm gave everyone free SD cards and later a patch. Palm's not even trying to offer anything to help the 800w have true stand alone GPS as they advertised it to us to have.

HTC is making plenty of new stuff and still their old stuff SUCH AS THE TOUCH PRO WHICH IS OLD IN HTC'S MASS OF DEVICES is selling and well supported and well catered to by 3rd party companies. This is because the Touch Pro is SELLING, the 800w is a lame duck. Sure the Touch Pro is new to Sprint, but it's been out a long time and Sprint is still even selling the Mogul, which is way old!

The 800w is a dud, a failure and Palm is too sick of a company to do much else with it.
    I knew you would come around.

You forgot to add the stupid thing where the BT volume resets in 'inaudible" after every call. Talk about annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You missed the point as usual. The businesses or retail consumers causing those market share drops are not moving their business to Palm. Those people are bouncing their business around to the real players in the PDA market (BB, HTC, Apple, etc.). Palm is most likely the only double digit loser per quarter in the industry.
    You are the one that seems to have missed the point.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Okay, putting on my flame retardant suit here but I have a question. Some are saying that when the Treo Pro hits the shelves (Jan., possibly) that the 800w is done. My question is, how long before the Touch Diamond is no longer available now that the Touch Pro is out? Really the main difference between those two is a sliding keyboard, as far as the feature list goes. It doesn't seem that the differences between the Treo Pro and Treo 800w are so vast compared to the differences between the Touch Diamond and Touch Pro. Now if the 800w isn't selling, then it isn't selling, but I wouldn't think that simply the appearance of the Treo Pro automatically means the end of the 800w. If that were the case then wouldn't the Diamond be EOL'd too?
    VRGT, there's no need spending time debating over PALM. They didn't lower their estimates because of any feeling they'd be making blowout sales today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    A sprint rep gave me a "courtesy call" yesterday. I mentioned that my phone has a few bugs and that I heard a rumor that it was going to be discontinued. She said that they are discontinuing the Centro too, although she called it the Centrino.

She also mentioned that I have a $150 credit to use toward an upgrade as part of a loyalty program, which is strange since I just signed up with Sprint in July.
    Well I guess the word around the Sprint water cooler does not feature plans to keep selling 800w devices.

Rhody, when you log onto SprintPCS.com, do you see a LARGE banner at the top of the page that says "Sprint Premier"?

Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    I knew you would come around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    Some are saying that when the Treo Pro hits the shelves (Jan., possibly) that the 800w is done. My question is, how long before the Touch Diamond is no longer available now that the Touch Pro is out?
    People are confusing an EOL notice and "replacing", for obvious reasons.

The 800w is being replaced by the Treo Pro but has not received an EOL (yet), which means Sprint is still selling them and evidently plans to keep selling them.

EOL for devices is usually given 2-3 months before a new replacement is released to (obviously) clear old stock out. That way the carrier/manufacturer is not stuck with a ton of old devices since everyone "wants the new one". In fact, a lot of us follow EOL notices since that tells you when a "new" device is getting ready to be launched.

The fact that has not happened yet says something. OTOH, it could happen tomorrow.

Obviously the Touch Pro and Diamond will sell side by side as they are part of product differentiation. The same could be said with the 800w and Treo Pro but ultimately, only Sprint/Palm know their intentions.

(I'd also be shocked that Sprint is discontinuing the Centro when it just got a refresh)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Obviously the Touch Pro and Diamond will sell side by side as they are part of product differentiation. The same could be said with the 800w and Treo Pro but ultimately, only Sprint/Palm know their intentions.
    Yeah that was pretty much what I was thinking. They've even adopted a similar naming convention (Touch Diamond/Touch Pro; Treo800w/Treo Pro), so I wouldn't be totally surprised if they do sell them side by side for a while. But like you said, only Sprint or Palm really know what's going to happen.

On a side note, if they put the 800w keyboard on the Pro, then I would be very tempted. I'm really in love with the 800w keyboard, and in the end, for me at least, it trumps all the annoyances that I've put up with to this point.
    I do have some foundation for my claim.

Sprint Treo Pro Nearly Confirmed
    The document goes on to report that the Treo 800w will indeed reach end-of-life status in favor of the sleeker, more media-savvy Pro. With a short, unspectacular lifespan of barely six months on the market, the much-maligned 800w gains the dubious distinction of being one of Palm's shortest-lived smartphones.
    The news of the Treo 800w's demise is not all too surprising, given the fact that Verizon apparently choice to pass on the device and a few recent holiday shopping trips to some local Best Buy locations revealed no more 800w demo units in the stores' wireless departments.

As usual, the Verizon Wireless faithful must be content with the Palm OS-based Centro or the ancient Treo 700wx for their Palm fix. In fact, the 800w's entire lifespan has come and gone with no new Palm-branded handsets for Verizon reported to be on the horizon.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast