Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I like mine and somehow it getting discontinued I don't think will bother me a bit. I'll keep using mine, replacing it when broken, until they tell me they can't give me another. Then, I'll fight for the new phone I want.

Sounds win/win if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    It's like you're content with the 800w, but you're not really overwhelmingly happy to have it. You'd be much happier with something else.
    No, I'm actually very happy with it. You have made it very clear that you are unhappy, but you don't need to project your feelings on others.

However, I (as is probably true of many on this forum) am rather quick to get a roving eye for a new phone. It's the only real hobby I have, so I'm okay with it.

I really think that it's a terrific device. If the price were right, I'd consider the Touch Pro, based solely on having a bigger screen, but it's not a sure thing, as I'm not sure that the screen is worth the loss of easy, one-handed use.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    As I said, I won't debate the "dud" matter, so I'm not saying more on that one.

Moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    No, I'm actually very happy with it. You have made it very clear that you are unhappy, but you don't need to project your feelings on others.
    Well I could say the same about you projecting your own feelings. This whole forum is mostly a projection of views and opinion.

I don't personally feel the term "unhappy" describes my feelings well, I feel the term "disappointed" is more fitting. I had come to expect Palm to never disappoint. I know, that's my own failure in assuming such.

I just find Cel's stance to be a bit more the "projection" of someone who really is happy with the 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I like mine and somehow it getting discontinued I don't think will bother me a bit. I'll keep using mine, replacing it when broken, until they tell me they can't give me another. Then, I'll fight for the new phone I want.

Sounds win/win if you ask me.
    When I have something I'm really happy with, I don't have any roving eye for anything else.
    Well, even though I somewhat like my 800w, I'd have to say it's a dud. If it had been released 12 months earlier with a few of the bugs/issues fixed, then it would have been a great phone.

I am going to get a replacement via TEP this week, if the replacement doesn't have the same radio-related issues, I'll probably keep it. If not, I'll be moving on to a Touch Pro/Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

I am going to get a replacement via TEP this week, if the replacement doesn't have the same radio-related issues, I'll probably keep it. If not, I'll be moving on to a Touch Pro/Treo Pro.
    Are you talking about the soft reset NO PHONE SERVICE issue?

You know I seemed to notice that one more over time. I don't recall seeing it so much at all early on... And now it comes up even with the stock configuration, so I know it's not 3rd party software related.

I'm not enjoying after soft resets just having to make sure the phone is working and sometimes having to do a 2nd or 3rd soft reset for the phone to come on. And yea I could get a replacement, but this is my 2nd already. Let's just say I'm not feeling a 3rd would be so much better, especially given it would probably be a refab.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsYet View Post
    This is disappointing. I bought the 800w the day it came out and have been (mostly) very happy with it since.

Any ideas about how this might affect the Equipment Protection Plan?

I really enjoy the 800w. The Treo form factor suits me perfectly. I like being able to use it one-handed, it's fast enough, and the keyboard is great.

I haven't seen any other devices that look appealing.

The Pro is similar but I don't think it's the best for me:
    - I've read that the keyboard isn't as good.
    - I've read that it's slower.
    - I don't like the flush screen. Fingeprints, hairline cracks.
    - No softkeys.
    - The 3.5 jack doesn't matter to me. I hate wires and use BT for all audio.
    Agree 100%!
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Are you talking about the soft reset NO PHONE SERVICE issue?

You know I seemed to notice that one more over time. I don't recall seeing it so much at all early on... And now it comes up even with the stock configuration, so I know it's not 3rd party software related.

I'm not enjoying after soft resets just having to make sure the phone is working and sometimes having to do a 2nd or 3rd soft reset for the phone to come on. And yea I could get a replacement, but this is my 2nd already. Let's just say I'm not feeling a 3rd would be so much better, especially given it would probably be a refab.
    Nah, it's more than that. That's one of the issues, but I have seen other symptoms related to the radio (once again for the doubters, I've observed these issues on a stock configuration). Connection hangs, phone freezing, missed calls, dropped calls, GPS stops working for a length of time, etc. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough that I feel this is not a reliable phone.

I may have a bad unit, don't know. We'll see once I get my replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Nah, it's more than that. That's one of the issues, but I have seen other symptoms related to the radio (once again for the doubters, I've observed these issues on a stock configuration). Connection hangs, phone freezing, missed calls, dropped calls, GPS stops working for a length of time, etc. It doesn't happen all the time, just enough that I feel this is not a reliable phone.

I may have a bad unit, don't know. We'll see once I get my replacement.
    Yea you've got some problems I can't relate to. I'd probably dig in the bag of bad apples again a 3rd time if I had all those problems, because the freezing is no fun at all. I did have some of those issues like freezing and the device would at times just die even when not used for anything in my first 800w.
    Well I could say the same about you projecting your own feelings. This whole forum is mostly a projection of views and opinion.
    Yes, but I was not talking about projecting your feeling into the discussion, but rather your implication that your dissatisfaction means that I must also be dissatisfied. I love my 800w, but I don't assume that this means that everyone is happy with it.

When I have something I'm really happy with, I don't have any roving eye for anything else.
    When it comes to cell phones, that simply isn't me. I've been very happy with each of my phones, but I definitely have a case of the "Greedy Gimme's".
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Will I finally learn my lesson and move on from Palm or will I get a Treo Pro? Not sure yet.
    I'm done. I've spent so much on Palm devices only to see no fixes or support for bugs that should have been fixed prior to release. For them to kill this phone off only 3 months after I got it cements that decision for me.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I wonder if Palm will have a update for the WM6.1 for the 800w also. In that case, I might get another new 800w from fleabay.
    Maybe I am naive but I really like my 800w. I dont like that there will be no support for hte phone anymore but its good for what I use it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Yes, but I was not talking about projecting your feeling into the discussion, but rather your implication that your dissatisfaction means that I must also be dissatisfied. I love my 800w, but I don't assume that this means that everyone is happy with it.
    Please cite where I've made statements that gave you the impression I wanted you to be dissatisfied based on my being dissatisfied with the product?

I have mentioned my own dissatisfaction and that you've made statements that really don't show you're as "into" the 800w as someone such as Cel. I've never told you to be dissatisfied and I've never asked Cel to be either. Your statements simply gave their own impression given your eying other products. I'm not trying to make you dissatisfied. Just speaking of what you've said yourself. Are you offering views that you don't desire be analyzed for comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Maybe I am naive but I really like my 800w. I dont like that there will be no support for hte phone anymore but its good for what I use it for.
    There will be support so long as Sprint and Palm are in business. If Palm goes under, the support from Palm of course disappears, not like Sprint is going to make major ROM updates. Sprint could repair parts and still provide replacements though.

The issue, is that support is going to dwindle. The number of Treo 800w owners won't be growing much now that everyone knows the 800w is about to be "replaced". Even people who want an 800w over a Treo Pro are considering the Treo Pro just because Sprint is going to stop offering the 800w. It means accessory makers have no incentive to make more 800w accessories, not like the owner base is going to grow substantially. When you walk into the Sprint store for assistance, the 800w won't be greeted with the smile of you having a device they actively market. Parts will be harder to come by for repairs. Service expertise on the 800w will fade. I mean if you worked in Sprint Tech support, would you want to learn more about the product Sprint is not even selling? If a Sprint tech decides they want to learn more about a product they service, likely they'll seek to learn more about devices actually being sold by Sprint. The devices that will have more new customers, more new customers that need support.

Service and support is going to just fade. Which may make owning the 800w more of a hassle. It's already hard enough to find knowledgeable people within Sprint when it comes to the 800w. They won't have any incentive to learn more about the device now. Not like Sprint will be having many new 800w buyers once they stop selling it.
    There will be support so long as Sprint and Palm are in business. If Palm goes under, the support from Palm of course disappears, not like Sprint is going to make major ROM updates. Sprint could repair parts and still provide replacements though.
    Palm has 6 quarters of cash to burn through before they "go under" so they'll be around till at least late 2009. That's assuming they continue to go south, even after Nova and Elevation does not infuse more cash (something they would do). Even then, Palm could search out other capital investments.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Palm has 6 quarters of cash to burn through before they "go under" so they'll be around till at least late 2009. That's assuming they continue to go south, even after Nova and Elevation does not infuse more cash (something they would do). Even then, Palm could search out other capital investments.
    Additionally someone is going to buy Palm before they go out of business. The Palm name (and form factor) is still worth money, even in the state they are in.

And Palm can file for Chapter 11 and continue on that way. Plenty of companies have done so (some 2 or 3 times before they finally got it right and were able to survive on their own). Palm has plenty of options open to them, and it's incredibly unlikely that they will go away completely.
    Thing about companies have X quarters of cash, is when the company burns through more than anybody expects, it may burn faster. They've blown expected budgets before, so there's no telling how long their cash will take them.

Elevation investing more is not guaranteed.

Yes we'd like someone to buy them before something like them going under occurred but there is no guarantee.

Sure they could file to reorganize, but again, it could go down different.

What we do know, is that they are in bad shape.

The analyst know, PALM is near dead. Not a topic worth me debating, if you want to debate that, you can over here. They're pretty near dead.
    Thing about companies have X quarters of cash, is when the company burns through more than anybody expects, it may burn faster. They've blown expected budgets before, so there's no telling how long their cash will take them.

Elevation investing more is not guaranteed.

Yes we'd like someone to buy them before something like them going under occurred but there is no guarantee.

Sure they could file to reorganize, but again, it could go down different.

What we do know, is that they are in bad shape.

The analyst know, PALM is near dead. Not a topic worth me debating, if you want to debate that, you can over here. They're pretty near dead.
    Darnell,

We should debate whether or not palm is a Dead Dud.

Just kidding...

I agree... we don't have any guarantees in this market.

I think a lot rests on what happens with the new OS. Only palm can pray for an (god forbid, I'm about to say IT) iphone success. Without that, Palm might be done... Even with a mild success of the Nova OS, palm might be done. As I said before, if google's OS takes off, palm can forget it. Google's name is definitely stronger than Palm's right now. But google tends to put out mediocre products (outside of search), so we will see how things work for them.

Palm definitely needs to broaden their base. We all know what happens to the one-product company... lol

Funny how Apple has went from borrowing money from MS to were it is today. Palm's view is too narrow.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post

Palm definitely needs to broaden their base. We all know what happens to the one-product company... lol
    Yeah, I agree, Palm should broaden it's base. Palm should bring back and build a better Yugo

Oh yeah, no problems with my Sprint Touch Pro....no resets to get it back into Sprint service, no freeze or lock ups and no problems with GPS...
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast