Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    if my 800w goes down in a few months I'll be screwed unless something decent has come out by then.
    Considering Sprint still has 700wx's sitting in their warehouse, I don't think this is a big concern.

They will carry the 800w's for a long time before they're all gone, so even if your phone goes down it'll probably be able to be replaced until the Treo 900w Pro (or whatever they call it) is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Considering Sprint still has 700wx's sitting in their warehouse, I don't think this is a big concern.

They will carry the 800w's for a long time before they're all gone, so even if your phone goes down it'll probably be able to be replaced until the Treo 900w Pro (or whatever they call it) is released.
    Maybe.... Unfortunately, the '900w Pro' will probably look like the '850 / Pro' and I'm not a fan... Or it could look like that 'roteo' and that thing is just awful...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksmithlcw View Post
    Maybe.... Unfortunately, the '900w Pro' will probably look like the '850 / Pro' and I'm not a fan... Or it could look like that 'roteo' and that thing is just awful...
    I'm talking about after the Treo Pro/850.
    VRGT, almost a month ago in another thread you said:

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    We 800 users are definetly the Pontiac Fiero of the PDA industry. Great on paper, poorly made, no support then cancelled.
    Well you were dead on point!
    I dunno. I kinda say good riddance. The 700wx was my first Treo and first Pocket PC/non-traditional flip phone. I LOVED that phone. I used to check in here daily and find new stuff to add and it was very reliable. After almost two years, I did grow weary of it and jumped at the 800w on it's release date. Needless to say, it's been a bit underwhelming. Very buggy, crappy GPS and just not a good phone in IMHO. I haven't looked into the Pro at all but I do definitely prefer one-handed navigation. I couldn't care less about the headphones since I don't use my phone for music purposes. I for one welcome the Pro.
    Glad I ditched my 800w within the 30 days I was allowed to return it!!!

For the rest of you suckers, I pray for you!!! HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH, HA, HA, HA.....

All jokes aside, I doubt if the 800w is going anyplace soon... it will be around for a while, even if the pro is on the site. Watch and see... maybe they will keep the pro at $550 or something... lol

It is interesting.... but we all knew the 800w was garbage when it was released... the Guinea pigs -- I mean, early adopters -- told us that. But we all had to find out for ourselves.

Where is my treo?

http://www.guineapighome.com/listing...4_2007_004.jpg

The comments in this thread are funny though... I hope the majority of you are not serious... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Yeah OG, you're right. I just had to see for myself. I was "fient out" for something new and definitely got bit in the *** for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Guys, welcome to 2009.

You're going to see device refreshes every 6-9 months for now on as the smartphone market continues to expand.

That's how competition works. We used to have to wait nearly 2 years for a new smartphone. Now even HTC upgrades their lineup every few months (Touch HD anyone? Diamond vs original Touch?).

I'm just saying, get used to it. Plus welcome it. I don't want long periods in between new models. This is progress and it's awesome. I mean who would not want a Touch HD on Sprint next month either?

If you feel like you got burned, so be it. This is cutting edge technology.
    That's hitting the nail on the head!!!

How long have we been complaining about the time between new devices? Not only is THIS a good thing, I believe Palm's only hope now is to release faster and release more phones at once (Blackberry Style). This new announcement at CES should be the new OS in at least 3 different form factors: The regular Treo/Treo Pro form factor, a no keyboard iPhone form factor, and a slide/spin/flip to reveal keyboard type of form factor. Hit the market hard with great technology in a variety of flavors. Leave no stone unturned. If that doesn't work then they will no it is truly over. If 2 of the 3 form factors take off like the Centro they will be major players again. This may seem far-fetched but that is what they promised when starting bringing in the ex-Apple hot shots. More models released faster!!!
    "More models released faster" would be fine if they actually got the old one right and then moved onto the next. In this case they dropped a turd on us and are now anxious to sweep it under the rug.
    I doubt there were widespread returns & complaints - this board tends to amplify concerns due to the nature that we're all cell geeks. More likely is that sales were low, due to the fact that users attitude that "thinner is better".

The fact that there are newer devices (even if they're better) doesn't change the fact that the 800w meets my needs. I personally have no problem using it till July, and then upgrading when I'm eligible for a discount. Then I'll either jump to the Touch Pro, or perhaps they'll be something even better.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I wish the Pro looked like the 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I wish the Pro looked like the 800w.
    I've never actually laid eyes on the Treo Pro, but based on pictures, I agree. My opinion could change if I really like seeing it for real, but I'm not a huge fan of the black & fingerprints.

For me, the only think that I wish for is a bigger screen - I tend to watch video while on the treadmill. So I do tend to look longingly at the Touch Pro. It's not worth buying prior to being eligible for a Sprint discount.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo View Post
    Not only is THIS a good thing, I believe Palm's only hope now is to release faster and release more phones at once (Blackberry Style).
    Actually, if you go back a few months ago during the Palm conference call, Palm said that is exactly what they want to do.

Basically they wan to start to "leverage" (outsource) their WM development to other companies (they didn't say HTC, but obviously that is what they meant) to get WM devices to the market faster than when they did it all in house.

The Treo Pro is that device and the quick GSM --> CDMA turnaround mirrors HTCs other efforts (Touch, Diamond, Pro conversions).

The 800w was the transition device: designed with the "old" Palm, but released with their "new" team. Hence the large difference in looks/size, delays, etc. This should be obvious by now. Palm also had other devices in the works that were axed by Elevation (800p? 800w GSM? Dunno). The Centro and 800w were in late-stages of development and so kept (plus Sprint still wanted them).

Part of me is going to lament this move as the 700wx and 800w are my favorite WM devices and I like their look--seriuosly, I really dig the 800ws style as it stands out. Others call it ugly, lol.

Now, my Treo is going to be just another thin, shiny, black phone in a sea of clones. I fear that the Palm OS-level optimizations/personal touches will definitely be gone too, making this just an HTC rebrand (e.g. Asus Treo 500--anyone even remember that one?). Say what you want but at 333mhz, the 800w is zippy as hell and that is no accident.

I'm also not sure that surrendering their identity on these devices and blending in more is a smart move in the long run.

OTOH, that's what the market wants and they get phones out faster. So I'm obviously in the old-school minority and lets be honest, the old approach was simply not working for them.

Palm should be announcing their "Nova" device(s) at CES and that will be their chance to claim some brand-uniqueness again and I'll be eagerly watching. After Nova, WM will be of secondary concern for them, hence the outsourcing now. I've also heard two things: the new OS is amazing and the form-factor is perfect. Guess we'll have to wait and judge ourselves next month.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/15/2008 at 09:30 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    "More models released faster" would be fine if they actually got the old one right and then moved onto the next. In this case they dropped a turd on us and are now anxious to sweep it under the rug.
    We may have had our debates in the past, but Socomon you and I now agree like never before. And really I don't want them to hold off on anything new till they get the 800w right. I want them to keep making new stuff and still well support the device just released less than a year ago. But we've got no wired 3.5mm adapter (do you know of any other Treo that has no wired 3.5mm access not even via an adapter), no official statement from Palm that they will resolve the GPS issue and they've not even bothered to try and make up for the defect. As I've mentioned before, when an older Treo model had space issues that seemed unusual, Palm gave everyone free SD cards and later a patch. Palm's not even trying to offer anything to help the 800w have true stand alone GPS as they advertised it to us to have.

HTC is making plenty of new stuff and still their old stuff SUCH AS THE TOUCH PRO WHICH IS OLD IN HTC'S MASS OF DEVICES is selling and well supported and well catered to by 3rd party companies. This is because the Touch Pro is SELLING, the 800w is a lame duck. Sure the Touch Pro is new to Sprint, but it's been out a long time and Sprint is still even selling the Mogul, which is way old!

The 800w is a dud, a failure and Palm is too sick of a company to do much else with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The fact that there are newer devices (even if they're better) doesn't change the fact that the 800w meets my needs. I personally have no problem using it till July, and then upgrading when I'm eligible for a discount. Then I'll either jump to the Touch Pro, or perhaps they'll be something even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    For me, the only think that I wish for is a bigger screen - I tend to watch video while on the treadmill. So I do tend to look longingly at the Touch Pro. It's not worth buying prior to being eligible for a Sprint discount.
    It's like you're content with the 800w, but you're not really overwhelmingly happy to have it. You'd be much happier with something else.

When I had my Treo 650, I was happy with it (as in I wanted nothing else) till I saw the 800w. Now I've got the 800w, but I'm not very happy with it. It's better than the Treo 650 for sure, but knowing about Sprint dumping the device, in my opinion false advertising and lack of support, if I knew it all before, the Treo 650 probably would have been my last Palm device, but the 800w certainly will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Glad I ditched my 800w within the 30 days I was allowed to return it!!!

For the rest of you suckers, I pray for you!!! HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH, HA, HA, HA.....

All jokes aside, I doubt if the 800w is going anyplace soon... it will be around for a while, even if the pro is on the site. Watch and see... maybe they will keep the pro at $550 or something... lol

It is interesting.... but we all knew the 800w was garbage when it was released... the Guinea pigs -- I mean, early adopters -- told us that. But we all had to find out for ourselves.

Where is my treo?

http://www.guineapighome.com/listing...4_2007_004.jpg

The comments in this thread are funny though... I hope the majority of you are not serious... lol
    Too funny. LOL

Does anyone else remember the Palm-loyalists on this board claiming that Palm released updates and bug fixes faster than anyone and that the busted GPS would quickly be fixed? As it turns out, they were right! Too many fatal flaws in the 800w so Palm "fixed" it by releasing the vastly superior Treo Pro.

So glad that we'll soon have the battery life to forgo putting our phones in the refrigerator every day. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=174703
    Actually, if you go back a few months ago during the Palm conference call, Palm said that is exactly what they want to do.

Basically they wan to start to "leverage" (outsource) their WM development to other companies (they didn't say HTC, but obviously that is what they meant) to get WM devices to the market faster than when they did it all in house.

The Treo Pro is that device and the quick GSM --> CDMA turnaround mirrors HTCs other efforts (Touch, Diamond, Pro conversions).

The 800w was the transition device: designed with the "old" Palm, but released with their "new" team. Hence the large difference in looks/size, delays, etc. This should be obvious by now. Palm also had other devices in the works that were axed by Elevation (800p? 800w GSM? Dunno). The Centro and 800w were in late-stages of development and so kept (plus Sprint still wanted them).

Is that a round about way of saying that the 800w proved to be a loser for Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Is that a round about way of saying that the 800w proved to be a loser for Palm?
    Not in the slightest. Perhaps they can answer that, but we have NO numbers in front of us to judge, just forum posts.

They had what they had with the 800w and Sprint still went with it/agreed to sell and support it on their network. Verizon passed.

Treo Pro came out and obviously Sprint said "give us that too". There is no argument that the Pro is "sexier" looking than the 800w and that is what sells. Plus it fits in with the rest of Sprint's "shiny black" lineup.

Curiously, Verizon is not getting the Treo Pro (they have Samsung now) and their are no GSM carriers for the Treo Pro in the U.S.

Fact is, the Treo Pro is not getting any support either and is turning into a failure for Palm (see market analysts who say as much). Revenue is down 47% and the Treo Pro is not helping any.

Treo Pro, even on Sprint, is too little too late. For 2009, it's still behind imo. It was a great 2008 device though. 800w was a great 2007 device.

Fact is, the Treo Pro is not getting any support either and is turning into a failure for Palm (see market analysts who say as much). Revenue is down 47% and the Treo Pro is not helping any.
    Perhaps our views of the term "support" differ a bit. Keep in mind I continue to speak of "3rd party" supporters. The Treo Pro has XDA Developer's support and I do feel Palm is responding to Treo Pro complaints a bit better than Treo 800w complaints. I also feel companies such as Seido are paying more attention to the Treo Pro than the 800w. I find the Treo Pro when looking at the global sum of support is getting far more than the 800w. And we can say "sure because of this or that", but fact remains the 800w is not only getting way less but about to leave Sprint's sales lineup.

I said I would not debate that the 800w is a dud, so I won't. We each have our right to our opinion on that. But will say, that if customers wanted the 800w, Sprint would keep the 800w. So I can't say it's selling for Sprint or Palm. I don't need numbers when the carrier is going to stop selling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Perhaps our views of the term "support" differ a bit. Keep in mind I continue to speak of "3rd party" supporters. The Treo Pro has XDA Developer's support and I do feel Palm is responding to Treo Pro complaints a bit better than Treo 800w complaints. I also feel companies such as Seido are paying more attention to the Treo Pro than the 800w. I find the Treo Pro when looking at the global sum of support is getting far more than the 800w. And we can say "sure because of this or that", but fact remains the 800w is not only getting way less but about to leave Sprint's sales lineup.

I said I would not debate that the 800w is a dud, so I won't. We each have our right to our opinion on that. But will say, that if customers wanted the 800w, Sprint would keep the 800w. So I can't say it's selling for Sprint or Palm. I don't need numbers when the carrier is going to stop selling it.
    Well, by that rationale, Sprint might as well stop selling WM Treos in general. Why assume the Treo Pro would do any better?

There are lots of assumptions being made here and there are just no numbers to support it, so calling it a dud (or success) is just guessing, not even opinion. That's why I say "it just is" at this time.

And lets be honest: the view of success (non-dud) or dud is at this point 100% dependent on your opinion on the 800w. All the posts in this thread confirm that view.
    • People who don't like it/disappointed = dud
    • People who like it/happy = well, non-dud as no one is saying success

That's just re-stating one's view on the 800w, not based on any real data. It's like asking Republicans if they now like Obama. Do you really need a poll for that one?

An XDA support is lukewarm at best with no custom rom support and very little community involvement (for XDA at least). XDA is mostly Euro and Asia where Palm is barely a blip, so you won't find much support there. TreoCentral has always been the hub.

I still think the Treo Pro on Sprint (as is) wont' be that huge, especially compared to BB Bold and HTCs lineup. Throw in higher resolution, ambient lighting detection, thumb scroll wheel an GSM world phone...now you have a competitor.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast