1.    #1  
    I have downloaded several .exe programs like winterface 1.2 from the official website in my new Treo Pro with Windows Mobile Professional 6.1.

When I want to run the program, I've got a error: "this program is not a Pocket PC application"

Anyone known what is the problem?

Thank you.
    Those applications must be installed from the desktop when that error message is displayed. Not all EXE files though will display that error; those that are intended to run on the device that are EXE files will run fine, though you may have to create a short cut link in the start folder pointing to the location the EXE file is at.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Those applications must be installed from the desktop when that error message is displayed. Not all EXE files though will display that error; those that are intended to run on the device that are EXE files will run fine, though you may have to create a short cut link in the start folder pointing to the location the EXE file is at.
    Ok. Thank you. But how you do that?

I tried to run the .exe programs looking for them using Windows Explorer after they have been downloaded. I did the same way to run G-Alarm and it run fine.
  4. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    If you look at the Winterface web site, you'll see there are links for "Download CAB" as well as "Download EXE". Sounds like you chose the wrong one. The EXE is a Windows (not Windows Mobile) program so you can install the application from your Windows PC via Activesync. Often you'll find these compressed as a .ZIP too.

If you downloaded the .EXE on your Treo, you'll need to copy it over to your desktop PC, and run it from there - or delete it and re-download to your PC. That will run the installer on your PC which will copy the Windows Mobile "CAB" file over to your device, execute it, and install on your Treo, the next time you connect with Activesync.

To install applications direct to your device "over the air", you need to download the ".CAB" file instead of the EXE, if available, which can be saved to your storage card for later use. Then you just double click on the CAB file using File Explorer on your device to install. I find it useful to keep a set of the most important CABs (together with registration keys if appropriate) on my storage card in case I have to hard reset my device (these things do happen on the road).

Bear in mind that some applications (e.g. SplashID) also include companion Desktop software in the .EXE, which you won't get if just downloading the CAB.

Confusing isn't it - and vendors like Vito don't help by not putting any explanation on their site as to what the two types of file are for. That's why some sites now label direct-install links as an "OTA" (Over The Air) install which makes the differentiation much clearer.
    Last edited by Me2; 12/13/2008 at 11:56 AM.
  5.    #5  
    ok.

Problem resolves.

Thanks a lot