1.    #1  
    Like many of you, when I purchased my Treo Pro in early October, I also obtained the 8gb sandisc micro sd card. I have been happy with it and think it is more storage memory than I will need. Today, a co-worker who has a G1 told me she was upset that a recently ordered 16gb sandisc card was not working on her phone. She told me that Tmobile had explained that the G1 only offers support for an 8GB card at this time with a possible firmware update in the future to resolve supporting 16 and up to 32gb. Sensing a mutally beneficial solution, I offered to trade my 8gb card for my co-workers' 16gb card. She agreed. Here are my questions: 1) If anyone is using a 16gb card on their Treo Pro, how is the performance? 2) By switching to a new 16 gb card do I have to reinstall all my third party apps on the 16gb card or can I copy the contents of my 8gb card exactly to the 16gb and expect everything to work the same? Any input from members that have gone through this will be greatly appreciated.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I recently made the switch from a 1GB to a 16GB on an 800w. All I did was copy over the contents of the 1GB to it's new roomy home, and all worked ok(except Programs which are tied to the card i.e. Garmin). My speed results I thought were OK till I filled the 16er up with about 4GB left. At that point Kinoma Play which I had installed on the card too, stuttered. I moved Kinoma back to the device and it was cured. Now I don't know if this is an issue with the card or Kinoma, but I am leaning towards the former. It plays music fine now, and I don't use video all that often.

Hope this helps you.
  3. JwY
    You should be able to just copy it like NRG mentioned as long as it isn't a card dependent program like some of the GPS apps. Regarding speed, you should take a look at the class as well (ie. 2, 4, or 6).

I'd question why the 16GB didn't work though since most devices that support 8GB can support up to 32GB because they are all microSDHC compatible. The card might need to be formatted.
    16GB cards are only available as class 2, the slowest. I've got Kinoma on an 8GB class 6 (fastest) and it works fine. I won't be ordering a 16GB card till they're at class 6 speed.
  5.    #5  
    I think my co-worker didn't format the card. I did and so far all the applications I installed work by just doing a simple data transfer. I have until tomorrow to decide about the swap. I realize that the 16gb is a class 2 and the 8gb is a class 4. Can anyone tell me if this is a good trade or should I stay with the higher class 8gb card?
    Quote Originally Posted by JwY View Post

I'd question why the 16GB didn't work though since most devices that support 8GB can support up to 32GB because they are all microSDHC compatible. The card might need to be formatted.
    The person with a G1 was told that the G1 does not support beyond 8GB yet. That would mean the device's OS can't support beyond 8GB yet. I don't know why that would be the case with Google's OS, but I do know RIM locks their BB OS to their desired level. You can't get a BB that supports 32GB MicroSDHC till RIM decides to release an OS or update that will support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPalmer View Post
    I think my co-worker didn't format the card. I did and so far all the applications I installed work by just doing a simple data transfer. I have until tomorrow to decide about the swap. I realize that the 16gb is a class 2 and the 8gb is a class 4. Can anyone tell me if this is a good trade or should I stay with the higher class 8gb card?
    Well, you may want to let your co-worker try it now that you've formatted it. So that the "swap" is done with everyone knowledgeable of what's going on. If it still does not work for them, Google's new smart phone OS needs some help.

I'd do the swap if someone offered such a trade to me although I'm waiting till they get to class 6 to buy one. To be safe with the class 2, put resource demanding applications on the device instead of the card.
  8.    #8  
    Scratch that, I double checked, my 8gb is a class 6. I respect the opinion of the members of this board. Would you swap and 8gb class 6 card for a 16gb class 2?
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Scratch that, I double checked, my 8gb is a class 6. I respect the opinion of the members of this board. Would you swap and 8gb class 6 card for a 16gb class 2?
    I would for the raw amount of space you get. You may want to test videos on it with it close to being full.
  10.    #10  
    I reformatted the 16gb sdhc card and will encourage my co-worker to give it another try on her G1. In all honesty, the 8gb is good enough for me as I don't have an encylopedia of music, besides, I have Orb which means I can access any media off of my 750GB hard drive on my desktop computer without compromising storage space on my card. I may have also been influenced by what I have read about people using the 16gb card. For the most part, nothing critical except some users reported programs slowing down as the card was over 12gb used. Personally, I did some speed tests and realized that the 8gb class 6 barely beat the 16gb class 2 in writing and uploading speeds, although I am not sure it made a difference with running programs off of the card. I read about Kingston releasing the 32gb class 6 card but I am afraid the couple of hundred dollars it sells for is too rich for my blood. In due time these cards will go down in price. I still remember paying $116.00 for a 1gb sandisc mini sd for my old treo 700w in early 2006. These cards now go for $9.99 in 2008. On a side note, I think it is remarkable that so much stuff can fit on such a tiny and weightless device. My first desktop computer (purchased circa 1994) had a hard drive space of 340MB and weighed about 20lbs.
  11. JwY
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The person with a G1 was told that the G1 does not support beyond 8GB yet. That would mean the device's OS can't support beyond 8GB yet. I don't know why that would be the case with Google's OS, but I do know RIM locks their BB OS to their desired level. You can't get a BB that supports 32GB MicroSDHC till RIM decides to release an OS or update that will support it.
    I didn't know that about BB. You'd think that when it supports a format, it would support the whole line.
    Good to know though.

I reformatted the 16gb sdhc card and will encourage my co-worker to give it another try on her G1. In all honesty, the 8gb is good enough for me as I don't have an encylopedia of music, besides, I have Orb which means I can access any media off of my 750GB hard drive on my desktop computer without compromising storage space on my card. I may have also been influenced by what I have read about people using the 16gb card. For the most part, nothing critical except some users reported programs slowing down as the card was over 12gb used. Personally, I did some speed tests and realized that the 8gb class 6 barely beat the 16gb class 2 in writing and uploading speeds, although I am not sure it made a difference with running programs off of the card. I read about Kingston releasing the 32gb class 6 card but I am afraid the couple of hundred dollars it sells for is too rich for my blood. In due time these cards will go down in price. I still remember paying $116.00 for a 1gb sandisc mini sd for my old treo 700w in early 2006. These cards now go for $9.99 in 2008. On a side note, I think it is remarkable that so much stuff can fit on such a tiny and weightless device. My first desktop computer (purchased circa 1994) had a hard drive space of 340MB and weighed about 20lbs.

As for speeds, I find the class does matter to a point. I would say the speed limit on the device is somewhere between class 2 and 4, maybe closer to 4 as is the case for most phones. But if you put the card into a card reader, the difference is really noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by JwY View Post
    But if you put the card into a card reader, the difference is really noticeable.
    Ditto!

And in time, future devices will make the difference more noticeable too. But by then, they'll probably support 1TB MicroSDHC . (Or perhaps we'll just move to another format totally.)

True in time all these cards will be obsolete, but getting a larger card now would resell for a higher value if you think you'll sell it for something better in the near future. For that reason if none other I'd do the swap.
  13. JwY
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Ditto!

And in time, future devices will make the difference more noticeable too. But by then, they'll probably support 1TB MicroSDHC . (Or perhaps we'll just move to another format totally.)

True in time all these cards will be obsolete, but getting a larger card now would resell for a higher value if you think you'll sell it for something better in the near future. For that reason if none other I'd do the swap.
    I just hope they don't make it more physically smaller and call it a nanoSDHC.
    Does anyone else have to semi-frequently reformat the card again and again? Maybe it's the card or me using it too much, but it seems that about every 2 or 3 months now I have to reformat the card because suddenly a folder is missing or empty. I believe that the problem comes down a corrupted FAT because I was able to fix the issue one time (the first that this happened) by simply putting the card in a reader and attaching to my computer. My PC fixed the FAT and suddenly I could see all of the data again instead of just a portion of it. I tend to think that the issue is not the card itself but rather something else.

If anyone is interested it is an 8GB class 4 microSDHC: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0289507 $22 at your local Micro Center!!