1.    #1  
    skype is out. sorry i cant post a link
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Say what? Its been out a long long time.

Where are you from?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Say what? Its been out a long long time.

Where are you from?
    http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/so...e_core_pl.html

Version 2.5 is out in Beta now (announced yesterday).

Adds more resolution support (including proper 320x320 ), is smoother running and improved call quality.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I get a error when trying to run it. Missing files. Im going to re-download it again and try it again.
    working well here
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Oh, sorry. Thanks I will download and check it out.
  7. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Still the sound comes out the back speaker, and the mic is set low for non-speakerphone use. A BT headset does not cure that the mic is set for on the Treo, and at levels far too low to be considered usable at any distance further than right next to your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Still the sound comes out the back speaker...
    Yeah, that's never gonna change. The hardware variation used on WM devices simply does not allow that to be done on a widespread basis. It's a similar reason to the "can't record both sides of a phone call" issue, with the OS not providing access to the ear speaker for "non phone" use or why there are no 3rd party software amplifiers to boost earpiece volume (super simplifying things here).

I could see one reason for this, btw: security. WM phones could easily have malware installed that record your conversations without your knowledge. Just a thought.
    and the mic is set low for non-speakerphone use. A BT headset does not cure that the mic is set for on the Treo, and at levels far too low to be considered usable at any distance further than right next to your mouth.
    I just use the Palm headset and it seems okay.

9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, that's never gonna change. The hardware variation used on WM devices simply does not allow that to be done on a widespread basis. It's a similar reason to the "can't record both sides of a phone call" issue, with the OS not providing access to the ear speaker for "non phone" use or why there are no 3rd party software amplifiers to boost earpiece volume (super simplifying things here).

I just use the Palm headset and it seems okay.
    I figured there was a hardware limitation on it, just that it is clunky, therefore I thought it would worth bitzing on TC.

Are you referring to the Palm wired headset, or BT? I used the T505 for mine, and it used the internal mic of the Treo. Maybe it was sending the audio out over BT Audio, instead of the headset profile.
    I figured there was a hardware limitation on it, just that it is clunky, therefore I thought it would worth bitzing on TC.
    Yeah, it's a very common complaint and understandably so as it's probably the one major factor (well, besides killing your battery) keeping VOIP apps from going mainstream.

On another thought, maybe MS did that on purpose as a favor to the carriers?
    Are you referring to the Palm wired headset, or BT? I used the T505 for mine, and it used the internal mic of the Treo. Maybe it was sending the audio out over BT Audio, instead of the headset profile.
    Palm wired.

IIRC, the BT headset profile does not work automatically (see conspiracy theory above, lol)--but using something like BtMusic you can force the audio to your BT headset, however you still have to use the device mic, so that's a problem.

OTOH, BlueMusic reportedly does do Audio and Mic over BT exactly for that reason. Downside is it cost $14 but Teksoft is a good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    OTOH, BlueMusic reportedly does do Audio and Mic over BT exactly for that reason. Downside is it cost $14 but Teksoft is a good company.

Thats pretty cool, so a regular BT non A2DP generic earpiece will be able to listen to music & other stuff. Since my new car has a BT built into it, I wonder if it will send through the car speakers. Does it send everything through the BT anytime its hooked into a BT connection?

On a Skype note, can Skype on WM6 view webcams in a conversation or is that to much bandwidth?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Thats pretty cool, so a regular BT non A2DP generic earpiece will be able to listen to music & other stuff. Since my new car has a BT built into it, I wonder if it will send through the car speakers. Does it send everything through the BT anytime its hooked into a BT connection?
    Right, all audio gets routed, even through mono BT headsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    On a Skype note, can Skype on WM6 view webcams in a conversation or is that to much bandwidth?
    No, it doesn't.

Could it? Certainly. But Mobile Skype is a rather clunky application, so that would use a lot of resources. But things like OctroTalk do use (non Skype) mobile streaming video.

Can't wait for www.grandcentral.com to have an update... although, it is working fine right now... google needs to update it so I can grab some numbers in DC/Maryland. My numbers in SC and GA are a bit worthless to me right now....

Thanks for the update, Mal... I use skype to speak with my partners overseas... works great... never tried on my mobile phone... seems like too many issues so far. Well, unless you want to use as a speaker phone. Interesting option though...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I have been reading your posts and I am interested in running Skype on a Treo 700w. So other than the speaker issue, are there any other concerns I need to look out for running this software?
    Nah, Skype runs pretty well. Just turn it off when not in use as VOIP uses 3g data which equals massive power drain.

I won't be running any carrier service on the phone. I am just going to use it for wifi connections; around the house and hot spots wherever I can find them. For $5.45 a month for US/Canada subscription and a phone number, I don't see how I can go wrong.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Malatesta
    I installed skype mobile, but not able to launch it.
    I see an error which says few components are missing.
    Is there a post that explains how to use skype ?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Did you install the correct version? There's skype for windows smartphone and skype for pocket PC (Windows Mobile Professional) - you need the latter.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    hmm I installed the smartphone version !!!! let me try that later one
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    installed the PDA version works fine.
    But I didn't quite understand the Skype rates on landline and mobile phones in US