1.    #1  
    I have been missing a lot of calls, apparently, that don't even show up in my call log. I get a voicemail notice 20 minutes later for a call that I've never even been notified about, much less actually hearing the phone ring.

Has anyone experienced this before and knows how to fix it? I thought it might be the phone not allowing calls to interfere with the data session when I'm checking e-mail, but I have always had the checkbox unchecked on the Data Settings for "Do not allow a voice call to interrupt my data session."

Any ideas? This is a big, big problem for me.
    I was expecting an important call. I called my 800 from a land line-twenty calls, two rings, "Call in Progess" message would flash in the Sprint logo line, no rings and right to voice mail. I searched extensively on TC, and Howards Forum. I have a few third party apps installed, one of which is SPB Phone Suite, which I had configured to screen calls. Changed that to accept all calls. One call from a landline, phone rings and I thought it was fixed. Nope, never rang.

From my searches, there's a few different reasons for this happenning. Some of the fixes address specific problems, but so far as I could see no one has satisfactorily addressed this issue. It's a bug. If it doesn't receive calls, it's not fit for its particular purpose.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3putt View Post
    I was expecting an important call. I called my 800 from a land line-twenty calls, two rings, "Call in Progess" message would flash in the Sprint logo line, no rings and right to voice mail. I searched extensively on TC, and Howards Forum. I have a few third party apps installed, one of which is SPB Phone Suite, which I had configured to screen calls. Changed that to accept all calls. One call from a landline, phone rings and I thought it was fixed. Nope, never rang.

From my searches, there's a few different reasons for this happenning. Some of the fixes address specific problems, but so far as I could see no one has satisfactorily addressed this issue. It's a bug. If it doesn't receive calls, it's not fit for its particular purpose.
    I should point out I have no third party applications installed.

I guess the reason behind all of this is the fact that Power Vision is connected and it's not accepting incoming calls despite the fact that I have that checkbox unchecked.

Is there any other place on the phone, like a hidden settings page, where I can force it to interrupt data sessions to accept an incoming call?
    If you were actively using the internet, say downloading an item, then it could possibly prevent the dialer from picking up before the call has gone to voicemail.

What 3putt describes is not normal behavior.

This thread walks you through how to troubleshoot your device.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    If you were actively using the internet, say downloading an item, then it could possibly prevent the dialer from picking up before the call has gone to voicemail.
    What I've concluded from reading other threads is that if Power Vision is connected, it won't interrupt your data session for an incoming call. Is there any way to get Power Vision to disconnect faster after use, like reducing the timeout period?

It would be perfect if Power Vision connected when you began your data session and then disconnected immediately after you were done (close IE, send/receive completed in Outlook).
  6.    #6  
    Sprint technical support had me power cycle the device, which actually solved the problem (at least temporarily). Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing when something's gone wrong on the device where it can't accept incoming calls anymore!

--

Nevermind, the workaround I posted does not work after a data connection is established later. I am returning this garbage device to Sprint tomorrow and going back to BlackBerry. What a mistake.
    Last edited by njd71; 12/08/2008 at 10:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by njd71 View Post
    What I've concluded from reading other threads is that if Power Vision is connected, it won't interrupt your data session for an incoming call. Is there any way to get Power Vision to disconnect faster after use, like reducing the timeout period?

It would be perfect if Power Vision connected when you began your data session and then disconnected immediately after you were done (close IE, send/receive completed in Outlook).
    I have had zero problems with data getting disconnected. Sometimes it happens too late for the call to go through, and the caller gets sent to voicemail. In those situations it's rather annoying because I'd rather the data didn't get disconnected, since the caller already went to voicemail. I've only had that happen a handful of times in the 6 months I've had the phone (and I use data a *LOT*).

Quote Originally Posted by njd71 View Post
    I am returning this garbage device to Sprint tomorrow and going back to BlackBerry.
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. The Blackberry's are much simpler devices, sounds like it's a better choice for you.
    I said this in the other thread. Power Vision is not the problem!!

My phone has done this too and I am not even in a evdo area. It has happened to me after a soft reset with no data connection ever started..
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post

My phone has done this too and I am not even in a evdo area. It has happened to me after a soft reset with no data connection ever started..
    It's just another 800w bug. Might be fixed in a few months. Might not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm_forlackofchoice View Post

Bingo, there's the problem.

1x doesn't play nearly as well with data/voice as EvDO does. It's not an 800w bug because this effects every phone I've used, and I know it's effected plenty of my family/friends.

So if you're using data in 1X, expect to miss calls.

Additionally 1x areas tend to have old towers which aren't as reliable as newer ones.

Sprint used to have pretty old towers in town, and *REALLY* old towers outside. Until they upgraded a lot of them about 7-8 years back I would miss calls a lot. They upgraded the towers in town to support EvDO Rev A just this year (from 1x, big jump!), and I've noticed a huge difference in everything from call quality, to reception, to virtually never missing a call.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. I've had mine miss calls when plugged into my Sprint car charger. I unplug it, get about 1/2 ringtone, and then nothing. I've also had the ringtone start but when I try to answer, I can't get the keyguard to come off. I agree that this has to be a problem with the phone, and not just the software that is on it.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Ebagg you are right with 1xrtt if you are using data phone will not ring, call goes straight to voicemail as if phone is turned off.

**** the issue people are having is not related to data usage, instead a process in the phone is tied up and the call will not come through. At some point in time later if a message was left the notification will pop up, upon listening to the message the missed call notification will pop up. This means that the phone recognized an incoming call but did not ring and display notification. If the phone does not get the call like when on data over1xrtt or if the phone is off, a missed call notification will never show up even if a message was left.
    This is a bug, thankfully my 800 has only done this a couple times that I am aware of.
    Still waiting for Hitachi to reintroduce the G1000 with a VGA screen and more memory. I still miss that crash prone beauty.
    Add me to the list. This is my 2nd 800W in five days and I just got the first one last week! Both having the same issues.

If I set the ring to vibrate with the ring, the phone will vibrate but not ring when call comes in. But i can test the ring tones and hear them when selecting a ring tone. I've checked everything I can think of to make sure I don't have it turned off some how.

Another new issue tonight was call volume on the earpiece. I had to crank it all the way and it was still barely audible. Then all of a sudden the correct volume kicks in and about blew out my ear drum. I love the 800W but it has to, at the very least, be a usable phone. Not so up to this point.

Very frustrated at this point.

BJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhijames View Post
    If I set the ring to vibrate with the ring, the phone will vibrate but not ring when call comes in. But i can test the ring tones and hear them when selecting a ring tone. I've checked everything I can think of to make sure I don't have it turned off some how.
    There is a registry tweak/hack to adjust this. Search the registry thread for Attenuation. (You can find the link via the stickied FAQ.)
    when I'm in my car. Probably not relevant or totally accurate, but my perception is that bluetooth appears to avoid this issue.

I am in an EVDO area. I've missed calls when I disconnected from a data session. I know that some of my missed calls are software related but my guess is that since I've had the phone I've missed more calls than I've answered.