1.    #1  
    Below is my chat with Palm re: the case cracking issue. I thought it may be of some interest to someone.

User scollins has entered room

analyst Norris has entered room

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:06:46 EST 2008)>Hello scollins, Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Norris. How may I help you?
    Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:06:47 EST 2008)>Hello.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:06:56 EST 2008)>hello

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:07:04 EST 2008)>I understand that the case of the device is cracked.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:07:14 EST 2008)>i currently have a treo 750 and am considering purchasing a treo pro.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:07:27 EST 2008)>Okay.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:07:33 EST 2008)>unfortunately in spite of great reviews, i've read that the pro may have an issue with it's case cracking

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:08:30 EST 2008)>do you know if Palm is aware of this issue? i am curious if it was possibly a "bad batch" or a recurring problem.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:08:33 EST 2008)>Okay.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:08:51 EST 2008)>I understand.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:09:46 EST 2008)>That information in the forums provided is false.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:10:16 EST 2008)>There is no such issue that is officially declared by Palm.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:10:23 EST 2008)>I will explain it to you.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:10:44 EST 2008)>ok that would be great.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:12:06 EST 2008)>The Treo Pro is one of the most successful Palm device, it is a GSM device, so we can use it internationally with any local SIM, it is compatible with a 32GB external storage card.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:12:35 EST 2008)>If there was an issue with the device case crack, we would have been informed.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:13:09 EST 2008)>We would have the information from the customers or the Engineering team.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:13:29 EST 2008)>We do not have such information from both the ends.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:14:34 EST 2008)>that is troubling because i've seen many pictures of cracked devices. a quick google search will show what i'm talking about. not to mention the cracking issue has been reported by many very reputable website - not just forums.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:14:51 EST 2008)>I understand your concern.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:15:11 EST 2008)>i am concerned because i don't want to place my order and then have an issue where i have to keep returning my phone due to this issue.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:15:28 EST 2008)>Okay.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:15:47 EST 2008)>since this problem isn't acknowledged by Palm - what would be the return policy if I have this problem?

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:16:12 EST 2008)>If you wish I will provide you the contact number of the higher level of the Palm support service,we can have the confirmation of the issue there.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:16:33 EST 2008)>that would be great. i can give them a call tomorrow.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:16:47 EST 2008)>You can contact our Phone Support Team at your most convenient time. This team can be reached at: 877-426-3777 between 5:00 AM PST to 9:00 PM PST on all Week days and 5:00 AM PST to 6:00 PM PST on weekends.

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:17:02 EST 2008)>I will email the chat to you as it has the information.

scollins(Sun Dec 7 14:17:14 EST 2008)>thank you.
  2.    #2  
    Below is my chat with Dell re: the case cracking issue.

1:49:02 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
    1:49:03 PM System Connected with E&A_Myra_B
    1:49:17 PM E&A_Myra_B Thank you for choosing Dell Consumer Solutions Sales Chat. I hope you are doing well and thank you for waiting. My name is Myra and I'll be your personal sales agent. How may I assist you today?
    1:50:02 PM scollins i am thinking of purchasing a treo pro. it seems to be getting good reviews,but unfortunately i've read many reports about them having problems with the cases cracking.
    1:50:36 PM scollins i was wondering if Dell was aware of this.
    1:50:45 PM E&A_Myra_B Ok,do you have the dell part # Shannon?
    1:51:03 PM scollins and also if i purchase through dell what would be the return policy if i have this problem?
    1:51:13 PM scollins Dell Part# : A1985382
    1:52:02 PM E&A_Myra_B Thank you,please hold on for a moment.
    1:52:07 PM scollins ok
    1:57:23 PM E&A_Myra_B Thanks for waiting,based on the review it doesn't state that it has problem with cases cracking.I would suggest that you don not place it inside your pocket if your pants is fit to you.To avoid case cracking.
    1:58:12 PM E&A_Myra_B Thanks for the feedback anyway,I will inform our Supervisor for this.If you have problem with the product,you can return it within 21 days return policy upon invoice of the item.
    1:58:54 PM scollins i wouldn't do that so that's not a problem. however the case cracking problem is well documented on the net. here is a link to just one of the places that i've found this info: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=173784
    1:59:28 PM scollins if i were to have this problem after the 21 days what would i do then?
    2:00:32 PM E&A_Myra_B Unfortunately,you cannot return the item if it is beyond 21 days return policy
    2:00:46 PM scollins ok, that is what i needed to know. thank you.
  3.    #3  
    I went ahead and called the number that the Palm rep gave to me in the above post. Actually, I called it twice. Both people that I spoke with told me that Palm did not know of this problem. The first person told me that Palm gave me 30 days to call for a replacement and the second person told me that Palm gave me 1 year to call for a replacement if I had this problem. In both cases the replacement would be refurbished and not new.
    You won't get far with live chat. Just the way it works.
    I had the same cracking issue and I purchased my TP from Dell too. First of all, Dell support was USELESS. Dell was only interested in selling products, not serving any issues.

As to Palm, you need to call the support # and it will arrange a warranty exchange.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for the replies.

I should've explained a little further. I don't actually have a TP yet, but I wanted to do a little research with the companies before I make my purchase. I did actually place a call to Palm and didn't have a great experience. Not terrible, but not great. I got a lot of "canned" answers. Both of the Palm Reps that I spoke with made it clear that Palm was NOT aware of this problem and the Rep that I was chatting with said that the information provided in the forums is "false".
    I was hoping to get a response something like - "yep, we knew about the problem and it was a bad batch of phones - all is well now" - I know, wishful thinking.
    So now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do... To buy or not to buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

I should've explained a little further. I don't actually have a TP yet, but I wanted to do a little research with the companies before I make my purchase. I did actually place a call to Palm and didn't have a great experience. Not terrible, but not great. I got a lot of "canned" answers. Both of the Palm Reps that I spoke with made it clear that Palm was NOT aware of this problem and the Rep that I was chatting with said that the information provided in the forums is "false".
    I was hoping to get a response something like - "yep, we knew about the problem and it was a bad batch of phones - all is well now" - I know, wishful thinking.
    So now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do... To buy or not to buy?
    I have to admit...this is what's keeping me on the fence with buying the Pro. (well, that, and the lack of a case, but that's minor). I'm hoping Palm will somehow release a second "revision" of the Pro which will fix these crack issues...
    Quote Originally Posted by scollins View Post
    ...clip...

Norris(Sun Dec 7 11:09:46 EST 2008)>That information in the forums provided is false.

Norris is an ignorant boob.
    Just call me Berd.