Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I know they are 2 completely different phones but all I hear from my friends is that my Iphone can do this and it can do that.
    So what can the Iphone do that the 800W can't?
    Sorry to sound like a d*ck, but iPhone aint all its cracked up to be. Your friends, don't know what an 800w is really about or can do. The power of a Treo is far advanced to an iPhone.
    the iphone does have it text messaging and notifications ring louder that the 800W
    Me and a friend of mine are always having "phone wars" between my 800 and his iPhone. We really are too old for this, but whatever. First he was proud of his pretty icons, then I installed UL. Then I had him beat with Weatherpanel and the traffic cams. I really had him beat when he had to pay his law firm's tech guy for two hours to set up his email account. Yesterday I ran into him and he whipped out Ocarina flute player, which turned his iPhone into a flute. That was pretty cool, but at least my phone looks like it belongs in an office and not my kid's junior high....
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    the iphone does have it text messaging and notifications ring louder that the 800W

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=1#post1475415

look at post #287
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I love my 800w and honestly in terms of functionality, I'm sure it can do more than the iPhone can (at least without jailbreaking) ... one big example is tethering as a modem to my laptop.

The iPhone's big trump card is its UI design. I installed Ultimate Launch, Weather Panel, Kinoma and other stuff on my Treo to make it look as nice as it could. I thought it was pretty spiffy, really.

Then last week I bought an iPod Touch for my wife, and I realized how completely awesome the iPhone UI is. Not just the looks, which of course are great, but the smoothness and the responsivenes as well. With the big beautiful screen and all the special effects, it's just dazzling. All the Windows Mobile shells, MP3 players, and even the browsers that try to copy the iPhone ... they're nice, but they aren't in the same league.

Still, what can the iPhone do that the Treo can't? Only 3 things come to mind that I care about:
    1) Have the best user interface out there
    2) Sync reliably with my Mac (I use Missing Sync and it works sometimes but not always)
    3) Hook up to external headphones or speakers without soldering.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    1. A reliable, working alarm clock, timer, and world clock.
    2. Drastically cheaper, console-quality games (think $15 for PPC Bejeweled 2 versus ~$4 on the iPhone).
    3. PDF annotation and faster PDF rendering speeds.
    4. Tight integration with your iTunes playlists.
    5. A more locked-down platform.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGF View Post
    This. QFE

4. Tight integration with your iTunes playlists.
    5. A more locked-down platform.
    These are actually some of the biggest reasons I will not buy an iPhone.

iTunes is one of the buggiest pieces software out there for Windows, and why the hell would you want something locked-down?
    Check if your table is level
    Measure your 0-60 time

But don't ask about that copy/paste... (or have they have fixed that by now?)
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    This. QFE
    Really?

I know that there have been issues with alarms (prior WM bugs), but are there no reliable alarm clock apps on WM? Or are you talking about the default clock/alarm control panel?
    Secondary for 800w users, but... Play music well out of the box.
    3.5 headphone slot.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Really?

I know that there have been issues with alarms (prior WM bugs), but are there no reliable alarm clock apps on WM? Or are you talking about the default clock/alarm control panel?
    I've scoured this forum and followed people's suggestions for an alarm program with snooze support (not the built-in one). I've had instances where G-alarm failed to activate its alarm. I shelled out Fizz Alarms for $15 since it worked within the trial period, to my detriment: since then, alarms and timers sometimes fail to activate, and the response I got from the developer was that they'd need to get a Treo 800w, and that was it. And they haven't updated their program for half a year. Spb Time hasn't been updated for a year. So for me, sinking time and money to find something as basic as an alarm clock... it's been discouraging.

For Mac users, the iPhone has a lot better integration than Windows Mobile devices: iTunes works great and you don't have to pay $50 for Missing Sync.

I was joking about the locked-down platform. I don't like it much at all, but I will say that Apple's locked platform and centralized application store is one big reason why there's so much more enthusiastic development happening for the iPhone, and why software is much more affordable. If you look at Toucharcade.com, there must be several updates a day of new, exciting games coming to the iPhone / iPod Touch. Pocketgamer.org (a games site for the Windows Mobile platform) is updated only once or twice a week showcasing more lackluster games.

I can't wait to see Windows Mobile's newest developments this year, but I'm a bit discouraged by the way Microsoft develops their products with different corporate divisions pitted against each other (e.g. there could have been much tighter, seamless integration among Windows, Xbox360, Zune, and Windows Mobile but they're all developed separately).
    I loved my Treos and I love my iPhone. One thing that stands out to me that I think the iPhone stands out is the browser. I think safari blows away any mobile browser. Again that's just my opinion.
    I recently bought an iPhone and to me it does nearly everything I need/want. The UI is outstanding. The Exchange sync is excellent, plus, it has HTML email with Exchange. I added iMExchange for $7.99 and it syncs Notes and Tasks over the air.

Viewing attachments is excellent. I can actually read the PDF's, Word, and Excel files. I wish those could be saved.

Safari works great and seems to work fairly fast even with Edge. We don't have 3G around here yet. I'm able to access all my banking sites and actually navigate the site to do business.

Alarm works great. I use it every morning to wake up. It has a nice big snooze button in the middle of the screen.

Call quality has been excellent, even on BT. I have not had to turn up the volume each time I use BT.

Battery life has been great. It would be better if I would quit playing so much. I can easily go a full long day without worries.

I was taking my wife somewhere today and she couldn't remember the location of store, so I launch the google app and spoke the name of the store and it gave me the address and phone number for the store. I tapped the map button and it sent it to google maps which gave me directions and GPS tracking to get there. All done within a matter of about 30 seconds.

There's now an eWallet version for iPhone that syncs with your desktop via WiFi so I was good there.

I was at a conference this week and needed to access one of my servers back in my office. I launched the VPN client on the iPhone (has Cisco which we use) and then launched the RDP program as was able to service the server as needed. It worked great to since I was able to pan and zoom to the areas that I needed to look closely at.

There are several other things I have done in the short time I have had the iPhone but I won't keep going.

What I don't like
    :

- copy and paste (I didn't realize how much I used it before)
    - editing of Word and Excel documents (Dataviz says they are close to releasing their app for iPhone)
    - Still not completely comfortable with the keyboard. Downloaded a free landscape keyboard for email and that made a world of difference.
    - It needs Flash support in the browser
    - BT for music and videos are not supported. I did buy a BT adapter that took care of it. But, you shouldn't have to.
    - I need a Pocket Quicken program that actually syncs. The only programs I have found, you export the .qif file and then import it. I need real syncing.

I know I'm leaving a lot out, but I can add later if asked.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    JohnH59, I know this isn't exactly Quicken, but would SplashMoney on the iPhone fit the bill?
    What the iPhone does well that no other phone does:

Excellent screen for fooling around(games, browsing, video, etc.) or for semi-important things(Google maps, search for restaurants, etc.). Email and text are also easy on the eyes. You have a large clear screen and don't have to stare at a small screen and pretend the small screen is good.

Business NO, not yet IMO. Fun and/or every day stuff, yes. Keep your 800w if you need a business phone. I have an iPhone and WM phones, and cannot go without the WM phones due to bad business functionality on the iPhone. If they fix that in the 3rd version(I'm hoping they announce something at CES 2009), then things could change.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    What the iPhone does well that no other phone does:

Excellent screen for fooling around(games, browsing, video, etc.) or for semi-important things(Google maps, search for restaurants, etc.). Email and text are also easy on the eyes. You have a large clear screen and don't have to stare at a small screen and pretend the small screen is good.

Business NO, not yet IMO. Fun and/or every day stuff, yes. Keep your 800w if you need a business phone. I have an iPhone and WM phones, and cannot go without the WM phones due to bad business functionality on the iPhone. If they fix that in the 3rd version(I'm hoping they announce something at CES 2009), then things could change.
    Curiosity, what do you mean "bad business functionality"?
    JohnH59, I know this isn't exactly Quicken, but would SplashMoney on the iPhone fit the bill?
    I'm may have to give SplashMoney a try. I didn't know it offered syncing with iPhone.

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    Yes, that will work for in call ringer but not for notifications, they will still be at a lower volume
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast