Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Ebag is right about Apple's kill switch. I particularly don't like the fact that you have to authorize your computer's iTunes with Apple's servers to access your software. Should Apple go down, you will no longer be able to access your software. You might think this won't happen, but take DRM in the music industry as an example: lots of users will not have access to their paid music because so many companies (e.g. Wal-Mart) have shut down their authentication servers. Another example: I've heard of users getting locked out of their accounts for Steam, a DRM-laden games portal for Windows, because they couldn't get refunds for buggy games and did a charge-back. Now their products can no longer work.

This is why I've been purchasing Windows Mobile software and that's why I had preferred getting a Treo instead of an iPhone. But I'm worried that in the future, Windows Mobile won't be as open as it is today because there are rumblings of Windows Mobile 7 being a much more locked-down operating system (if you read hints of this on the blog on www.webis.net ).
    Quote Originally Posted by SpriteGF View Post
    This is why I've been purchasing Windows Mobile software and that's why I had preferred getting a Treo instead of an iPhone. But I'm worried that in the future, Windows Mobile won't be as open as it is today because there are rumblings of Windows Mobile 7 being a much more locked-down operating system (if you read hints of this on the blog on www.webis.net ).
    Yep, it's a disturbing trend. If it comes to that, it might be time to move to Android.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Iphone is a brick. Too big. Fingerprint city.

You have to jailbreak to do things. User cant replace the battery. No insurance. There is no TomTom software.

800w rules. Lots of warez.

My 2 bones. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeper55 View Post
    No doubt the iphone is pretty, and if you have one you will be the envy of middle schoolers world wide!!!! When it comes to your phone being an extension of your office it is LACKING.
    I used to say basically the same thing until I carried one for more than a week. I now have it set up where I can actually do just as much, if not more, than I could with my Treos. With the exception of copy and paste and Docs to Go type app, I'm set. Plus, using a RDP program to access my office computers and servers, I can actually do more. The screen size of my 800W really limited my RDP application. Since the iPhone has panning and zooming, I get a lot done remotely.

Is it perfect? No. Is it for everyone? No. But, for now, I was ready for a change and I have enjoyed the stability, call quality (both BT and speaker), screen clarity, and Exchange email really rocks since it has HTML. We run Exchange Server 2003 and it doesn't support HTML email for WinMobile or Palm. That really does not make since, especially for WinMobile.

I haven't really noticed the size difference. Since it's thinner, I don't notice the difference in my front pocket.

Do I like the fact that Apple controls the apps in the App Store? Yes and No. I don't like that they control as much as they do, but I do like shopping through the App Store. Most of the apps I have purchased have been .99 cents. I think the most I have paid is $9.00 for SplashMoney. I have around $100 in WM software, whereas, basically the same software for the iPhone, I have spent maybe $50 and that includes all the games I have purchased as well. I'm not sure why games. I rarely even play games. Some just seemed fairly cool.

A friend of mine has developed two apps for the iPhone. He says he gets 70% of the sales cost. Is he telling me the truth? I don't know. He has no reason to lie to me.

I'm not taking anything away from the Treo's. I still have my 800W and I still think it's a great device. As I stated, I was just ready for a change for awhile.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    A friend of mine has developed two apps for the iPhone. He says he gets 70% of the sales cost. Is he telling me the truth? I don't know. He has no reason to lie to me.
    This is consistent with what I posted above, the App Store takes 30% commission and developers receive 70% of the sale.

Compared to WM where developers can pay higher than 70% commission and have to sign a contract that they will NOT sell their software for less anywhere else.
    Gee, I didn't know a few truthful comments would bring the iPhone fanboys out of the woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Surur, is that you...?
    I'll be anyone you want me to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    This is consistent with what I posted above, the App Store takes 30% commission and developers receive 70% of the sale.

Compared to WM where developers can pay higher than 70% commission and have to sign a contract that they will NOT sell their software for less anywhere else.
    I'm not a fan of most of the WM stores. I use very very few of them, and whenever I have the option I will purchase the software directly from the programmer/company/vendor/etc.

The price of a lot of WM software is definitely a hangup for lots of people, including myself. That being said, the only program that I have that isn't free is GPSGate (which I haven't yet purchased because I haven't needed the internal GPS in TomTom for quite a while, I'm sure I will be purchasing it once winter is over and I start going on more trips).

The amount of free WM software is absolutely mind boggling. There are really very few things that's out there that can't be done by a free app.

Hmm....I think Zbop, Hannip, and I need to make a WM software site with reasonable prices and commission. Oh, wait, we already have one called Treo Central.

Lets see...ten percent commission....app is free....so my commission is......
    You want the truth? There isn't anything that the iPhone can do that the 800w can't. Well, not anything useful anyway. The only thing the iPhone has over the 800w is the tilt sensor. Unfortunately, unless you're playing games, or you happen to need to know if the table you just built is level and you don't happen to have a real tool, that feature is absolutely useless.

The rest of the stuff that people find so great about the iPhone is all based on marketing hype and user preference. I will admit that Apple did a great job on how responsive the touch system is. Also, another thing I have always said about Apple is that they've got the best marketing team in the world. I have no doubt in my mind that the marketing team at Apple could advertise dog **** in a bag, and the majority of teenagers would beg their parents to buy it for them. Apple has spoiled brats all over the world wrapped around their finger.

It's funny...it seems that once you buy an Apple product, you are initiated into a cult, and from then on, defending Apple becomes your mission. I recently had a similar discussion with somebody on a different forum, and after 2 or 3 pages of me and another guy going back and forth with the Apple fanatic, the fanboy still wasn't able to produce any evidence that the iPhone had anything that made it better than most of the WM phones out on the market. He whined about how the comparisons we linked to were outdated or biased (it's been a few weeks, and I still don't understand how facts can be biased), he told us about the Apple store (why anybody is excited about being able to get software from one source and once source only, I have no idea), and before he gave up, he tried the "you don't understand because you haven't used it" argument. All of those are weak arguments, and like most fanboys, he can't seem to back anything up with hard evidence.

I wish I could somehow slap these people back to reality and pry their lips off of Steve Jobs' posterior.

By the way, did anybody watch the Simpsons episode from a couple of weeks ago (Mypods and Broomsticks)? It's humorous, but it still manages to sum up Apple pretty well. Check www.sidereel.com for links where you can watch it, or it might even still be up on Fox's website.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    And what's the name of the application on the IPhone that provides GPS directions with a voice?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    And what's the name of the application on the IPhone that provides GPS directions with a voice?

Why do you need an app to get full page caller id? My iPhone comes with it.
    At least we can get whatever app we need to supplement our phones. You can't supplement what Jobs doesn't feel is necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    Why do you need an app to get full page caller id? My iPhone comes with it.
    I'm sorry, you didn't answer my question .

I have no need for full page caller ID, although as Alli mentioned, WM has a wealth of additional applications unlike the IPhone.

I do have a real need for GPS navigation with voice. How could the IPhone meet my needs?
    I don't think anybody NEEDS a full screen caller ID. Some people want it, and with WM, there are a number of choices to go with.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    For fun, I'll play.

Can the Treo sync Outlook email, contacts, calendar, notes and tasks over the air (all 5)?

Can the Treo get HTML email using Exchange running Exchange Server 2003?

Can the Treo run a remote desktop application and actually pan and zoom around the screen so you can actually see what you are working on?

I'm not putting down Treos at all. I like them and I have still have one. But, there are certain things that an iPhone can do that a Treo can't, and vice versa. For me personally, I don't need voice navigation most of the time. Google Maps has worked wonderfully for me in a pinch. The times I need/want voice navigation, I have my Garmin. Yes, that's carrying another device, but, at least my other devices are not being tied up while navigating is taking place.
    No copy and paste. No drafts or templates saved on the phone itself. No effective call management. No true way to sort contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Curiosity, what do you mean "bad business functionality"?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    It's funny...it seems that once you buy an Apple product, you are initiated into a cult, and from then on, defending Apple becomes your mission.
    I wish I could somehow slap these people back to reality and pry their lips off of Steve Jobs' posterior.
    This isn't the case on my end. I'm fully aware of the iPhone's limitations because it did not do what even my dumbphones can.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No copy and paste. No drafts or templates saved on the phone itself. No effective call management. No true way to sort contacts.
    Copy and Paste, I agree. That has been a pain.

I have been using a free version of Evernote that helps quite a bit with drafts. It syncs to a server which in turns syncs to the desktop and vice versa. But, yes, this could be a lot better. I think when Dataviz finishes it's Documents to Go app this will be better.

Sorry, I don't guess I understand the "No effective call management".

I use an app called Contact Finder that makes finding contacts a snap. Plus, when searching the main contact app, it searches by all fields. So, I don't guess I have a real need to sort the contacts. I just search them.

The iPhone is by no means perfect. But, it has come a long ways since its launch.
    Call management: How come you must either keep crap calls on the list or delete ALL calls, thus having to SEARCH through a long list for important callers? How come there's no block calls features? Also I haven't seen an app for this either. Thus you really must use a service like YouMail with the iPhone.

I also really need to sort contacts and Favorites does NOT cut it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Call management: How come you must either keep crap calls on the list or delete ALL calls, thus having to SEARCH through a long list for important callers? How come there's no block calls features? Also I haven't seen an app for this either. Thus you really must use a service like YouMail with the iPhone.

I also really need to sort contacts and Favorites does NOT cut it!

I do see what you mean. I had not noticed that before. There should be some kind of management there. It would make sense. Fortunately for me, in my line of work, I have nearly all contacts already in Outlook. For the most part, I have a set group that I conduct business with.

I can certainly see how the lack of management could hinder a lot of users.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123