Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I have no tie to phoneAlarm other than being a big fan but I wanted to mention here that the newly released version 2.12 enable beacon support for alerts on the Treo Pro. I know I've been waiting a while for WinMo application support for this so I wanted to mention it here.

The Pro version of PA has a ton of great features, including the ability to identify voicemails sent as emails and trigger the VM alert accordingly for folks like me using PhoneTag or a similar service. It has profiles, automatic profile rules for switching by time or event or even GPS location. I don't want to go on and on but if you like to tweak your device a lot like me I think you'll like it. Free trial period of course at:

http://www.pocketmax.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I have no tie to phoneAlarm other than being a big fan but I wanted to mention here that the newly released version 2.12 enable beacon support for alerts on the Treo Pro. I know I've been waiting a while for WinMo application support for this so I wanted to mention it here.

The Pro version of PA has a ton of great features, including the ability to identify voicemails sent as emails and trigger the VM alert accordingly for folks like me using PhoneTag or a similar service. It has profiles, automatic profile rules for switching by time or event or even GPS location. I don't want to go on and on but if you like to tweak your device a lot like me I think you'll like it. Free trial period of course at:

http://www.pocketmax.net/
    Thanks for the news! I tried a beta a while ago, but there's still one thing that really bothers me: it is so much configurable (very nice) that it ends up being really complicated and you keep on trying other skins to find the holy grail. Its biggest advantage turns into config hell nightmare (for me), even though I'm an it expert with excellent knowledge of registry and hacking.
    You can't just install this software with one great looking skin out of the box that has all features enabled, like Mobile Shell or Winterface. These apps shine from the moment you install them, with phoneAlarm you start a configuration process that lasts at least an hour.
    Nevertheless, I'll try this new version too...
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oVan View Post
    Thanks for the news! I tried a beta a while ago, but there's still one thing that really bothers me: it is so much configurable (very nice) that it ends up being really complicated and you keep on trying other skins to find the holy grail. Its biggest advantage turns into config hell nightmare (for me), even though I'm an it expert with excellent knowledge of registry and hacking.
    You can't just install this software with one great looking skin out of the box that has all features enabled, like Mobile Shell or Winterface. These apps shine from the moment you install them, with phoneAlarm you start a configuration process that lasts at least an hour.
    Nevertheless, I'll try this new version too...
    I think your point is very valid, particularly with regard to the skin. For the Treo Pro especially I found really only two skins I like. All the functionality comes with a lot of config settings to play with as well, and there documentation doesn't get very specific per device. The best I can suggest on that is to post in the support forum and the developer or other users are pretty helpful. Having said that, the two best skins I found are for the Treo Pro are:

TransBasic - as a minimalist/least screen space skin

And "Organizer Blue" for something bigger with larger icons.

You'll have to download them from the skins forum and install them though.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I love my Treo Pro and I love Phone Alarm but that center beacon is just to weak to be useful (maybe it's just my device) the beacon just doesn't grab my attention nor do i even notice it unless I'm in a dimly lit room.
    I hope we can enventually get support for the battery LED dispite it being almost as unnoticeable. The Treo 750 LED was highly useful w/ Phone Alarm.
    It would be nice for the next Treo to have a true customizable LED- it's one of the few things I loved about the brief affair with my Blackberry Bold (ah..it's for sale!!!!)
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stack697 View Post
    I love my Treo Pro and I love Phone Alarm but that center beacon is just to weak to be useful (maybe it's just my device) the beacon just doesn't grab my attention nor do i even notice it unless I'm in a dimly lit room.
    I hope we can enventually get support for the battery LED dispite it being almost as unnoticeable. The Treo 750 LED was highly useful w/ Phone Alarm.
    It would be nice for the next Treo to have a true customizable LED- it's one of the few things I loved about the brief affair with my Blackberry Bold (ah..it's for sale!!!!)
    I tend to agree--the beacon is pretty dim and hard to notice in a well lit setting like most offices. I suppose there's a trade-off with consumption of battery power to be considered but I wonder how much you'd really lose. Maybe a 'low light' and 'high light' setting you could at least choose to configure.

I don't think it would bug me as much if there was a 'new email' icon that appeared on the screen saver mode when in standby as I notice the missed call/sms/vm screen saver icons pretty quickly.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stack697 View Post
    Anything further on this? Would you still say the beacon is not useful?
    Very difficult to see beacon light during daytime. Much better if is can flash more often.

Phone Alarm does not work all the time on Treo Pro. Very often beacon light doesn't flash after email / missed call / SMS come in. Buggy software.
    I am contemplating getting the Pro on Sprint when it comes out. One important factor is the ability to see if there was a missed call/text/im without having to turn the screen on and check. I currently have the Centro and Butler performs this function by changing the LED solid. Does the Pro do this out of the box without any additional software? If not, is there software that performs this function? Thanks in advance, Jeff
    TP will only alert via beacon for voicemail as standard feature.