Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, awkward: I know the Treo Pro pretty well and looking at it from a 'Windows Mobile User's' perspective is, ah, also weird. Not to mention I was pretty freaking comprehensive in my full review when it came out, if I do say so myself.

But those are my things to worry about. I'll try to treat the Treo Pro in the tradition of Palm Treo devices or somesuch. Hence, some questions, some of which are probably repeats of other threads here but I repeat them here to give people an easy chance to win in our Round Robin contest!

- I'm *still* looking for the perfect push email from Gmail solution. I use auto-filtering and labels/folders VERY heavily, so a push email solution that is ALSO able to not only sync but also push folders is very much wanted. Right now I'm using SEVEN which seems a little heavy. I use Nuevasync for contacts and calendar. I guess what I want is an exchange service (I will pay nearly any price at this point!) that can handle everything from gmail. Or a mix. I don't know. Sigh. Maybe one of the IMAP IDLE plugins, anybody used one of those?

- Any fix for the audio stutter when the screensaver is on?

- I find the center light useless since I use PhoneTag for voicemail. Any way to get it to light up for email yet? Barring that, anything for making the LED blink for notifications?

- I've never tried skinning SPB Mobile shell, but I'd like to try. Any hints there? Alternately, anybody have any cool, dynamic, light, and fast today-screen plugins they're digging?

- What hacks / software are you using to make the Treo Pro more PalmOS-Like?

- Please. Somebody. Make a crossword puzzle app better than becrossword or across lite. Please.

- Something seems to be making the Treo Pro slower this time around, but I'm not sure what and the default Task Manager Palm uses doesn't display enough information. I'd also love to see what's constantly accessing the network and killing my battery life. I'm thinking it's Seven, but I'm not sure.

- anything else you feel moved to tell me?
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    I feel your pain on the audio stutter when screensaver mode is on, and still no fix from Palm on that one. For now you have to configure your mp3 app like PocketMusic to let the screen dim but not go to screensaver mode. Yea, I know...

I'm also with you on the center beacon since I'm addicted to PhoneTag as well. I still haven't seen any developer able to get this to illuminate (or even the LEDs) yet for the Treo Pro. I think phoneAlarm may be getting close but nothing as of yet.

One suggestion I have for you is to download this task manager which I think is a must-have for a WinMo device:

http://www.dotfred.net/TaskMgr.htm

It should help you track down any app/service that's stealing any cycles and also does a lot value added functions.

I'm not a gmail user, so I don't know if it works or not...but have you tried Flexmail with a gmail account?
    I've got Push working for free just today.
    http://www.codeplex.com/ImapPusherService
    There's a plugin called IMAP Pusher Service which needs to be in your Startup folder. It uses Google's IDLE IMAP and delivers the mail to the mailbox of your choice thereby letting Outlook handle notifications and mail sending as normal.
    The downside is you need .Net Compact Framework 3.5 and I don't know yet if the Pro has this already or if you need to install that taking up more memory. Also the app seems to use about 1100Kb of RAM while running but almost no CPU time at least. It's also b3ta and can be fiddly - but I've got it working so just ask and I'll help out.

I don't rate NuevaSync yet but when they stop corrupting data and add IMAP push email they could be awesome. For now I'm using GooSync (you probably already saw the stuff between me and CopperTop on the wmexperts forum).

For tasks I use HandySwitcher (from the Memmaid family) on my 750v which is similar to the HTC on Pro but it works better with keyboard shortcuts and has a decent but simple memory and CPU task manager with Terminate function. Ain't free though.

Lord knows I still think Opera mini 4.2 with tweaks (not using MortScript) to make it the default browser beats SkyFire for speed and reliability.

There's a Live Mesh WM6 mobile client beta running about somewhere but I haven't got my hands on it yet. Worth a poke.

For the Palm OS effect why not configure the X to close apps instead of minimising them and use that instead of the Start button? >;-P
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Deiter, check out MyBeacon in the Mortscript forum that I wrote, quick and dirty, doesn't fully work though but better than nothing for the center light..

WRT to the LED, it is so small I don't know if you would even notice if it was blinking, same can almost be said for the center beacon too unless you're in a dark room...

Try Flexmail for Gmail IMAP, it works well...

Memmaid's task manager is also very good along with everything else it does...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    Alright, I'm going to give flexmail another go. It's been over a year, maybe now it no longer has the "I totally suck" feature.
    This is this 1st Reg Edit I do with all PPC's:
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    I think i found a way to navigate web pages seamlessly with one hand in pocket internet explorer like blazer on the palm platform does.
    Disclaimer: Always backup before making any changes to your registry.

**Note: This is only really useful if you use the 'one column' view in PIE, if you usually scroll horizontally you have to assign the page up/down keys to something other than right or left on the 5 way**

Anyway, here goes:

-First, close out of Pocket IE if you already have it open
    -Then Using a wm5 registry editor (I used resco regedit): go to -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    - Create a new key. Call it "KeyMaps" (without quotes)
    - Under the newly created "KeyMaps" create a DWORD Value. Name it "37" and give it a DWORD data value of "1" (without quotes)
    - Under the newly created "KeyMaps" create a DWORD Value. Name it "39" and give it a DWORD data value of "2" (without quotes)
    the final result should like like this:

Now go back in PIE
    The result is pretty simple
    Left of the 5-way will page up
    Right on the 5-way will page down
    (Works well only if you have menu>view->one column selected and you don't have to do any horizontal scrolling!)
    you can still walk links as normal when you have them selected with up or down on the 5-way.

You can use pretty much any other button to page up or down. Simply replace the "39" and "37" in the instructions with the code for the key you want. The list of keys can be found on vijays site

Also, i dont know if it makes a difference, but i have PIE Plus installed, and i have not tested this on a regular installation of PIE.
    [PHP][/PHP]
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Alright, I'm going to give flexmail another go. It's been over a year, maybe now it no longer has the "I totally suck" feature.
    zinger... lol
    I use FlexMail with GMail, FastMail, Yahoo, ChatterEmail. It negotiates great with all but GMail - on that it takes a few seconds to negotiate. I got tired of the time period and just forward all to ChatterEmail.
    Audio Stutter. I didn't realize that was an acknowledged issue with the Treo Pro. I have the default email arrived notification on and when the screen saver is on, it sounds funny fades out and then back in for the last second of tone. I can live with that.
    I just tried Neuvasync today for the first time...it did not sync categories on contacts. I have not ponied up the $ for GooSync (so I can sync contacts). If I did, would it sync categories for the contacts? I really want/need that capability. If I "export" my outlook file to a CSV file and then "import" the file to google, it will get the categories, so I know google can handle them.
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I use FlexMail with GMail, FastMail, Yahoo, ChatterEmail. It negotiates great with all but GMail - on that it takes a few seconds to negotiate. I got tired of the time period and just forward all to ChatterEmail.
    Are you running Chatter through StyleTap, or are you pulling some other rabbit out of the hat? And can you map the email button to launch Chatter that way?

It doesn't suck. It works well with Gmail IMAP Idle for a great push email experience and I believe you can setup to sync sub-folders though I do so only for the Inbox. You can also sync with local folders on the Treo Pro.
    I think they deservedly won the 2008 PPC magazine award for best email application
    http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/awa...nners_ppc_apps
    I already registered my copy and it's well worth the 29.95 IMO.
    Any grouses? Well the SMS handling could be a bit better and it is slightly laggy but that could be a Winmo thing and it is tolerable. I prefer to view the email messages in the folder display as it is faster than opening up individual email messages.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    GooSync's help says:

"(Limitations of Google Contact Sync)
    Contact categories (or Groups in Google) are not supported in the sync process. All Google contacts will appear on the device without a category, or in an "Unfiled" category. All device contacts will be sent to Google without any Group information. "

I believe you can use Categories if you sync to GooSync's contacts (rather than direct to Google)
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    My best WinMo push solution for Gmail was always to simply forward all mail to a free Mail2Web account, and then set my reply-to/from address in Activesync settings to my gmail address. To the outside world, it looks like my mail2web address doesn't even exist, but I get my mail faster on my device than even in my webmail. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Are you running Chatter through StyleTap, or are you pulling some other rabbit out of the hat? And can you map the email button to launch Chatter that way?
    I think he is using the free ChatterEmail account provided years ago.
    What I mean is that I forwarded it to my ChatterEmail address which is hosted by Everyone.Net.

As a note, I also use Style Tap. I have never given it a though to try ChatterEmail via Style Tap, especially since Style Tap does not support the 5-way key configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I use a paid ChatterEmail.com mail address provided by Everyone.net and have used it for 4 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I think he is using the free ChatterEmail account provided years ago.
    ...clip...

- What hacks / software are you using to make the Treo Pro more PalmOS-Like?

...clip...
    Another one I like is:
    PQZII aka Cntrl Key Pro
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=172507

It allows you to launch apps by pressing letters on the kb.
    Just call me Berd.
  20. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Dieter,

I'm totally with you on the idea of the combination of a front-facing QWERTY kbd and a touchscreen (as you mentioned in the first RR Roundtable). I do use the stylus for some things--games, web browsing, etc.--so I wouldn't want to totally give it up. I did like the idea of a "best of all worlds device" as someone suggested in the Roundtable... the screen from the BB Bold--only a capacitive touchscreen--on a Treo.

A couple of thoughts: 1) keep the device a little narrower than the Bold and slim front-to-back like the Pro--though a smidge wider than the Pro and use that space to expand the keyboard!, and 2) use a mini-version of the stylus from Dell's Latitude XT tablet (the only tablet PC on the market, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $with$ $a$ $capacitive$ $touchscreen$). $That$ $way$ $the$ $stylus$ $is$ $still$ $available$ $for$ $backwards$ $compatibility$, $yet$ $it$'$s$ $competitive$ $with$ $the$ $iPhone$/$G1$/$the$ $LG$ $Incite$ ($which$ $looks$ $to$ $be$ $trying$ $to$ $do$ $the$ $same$ $thing$ $with$ $the$ $screen$, $though$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $that$ $one$'$s$ $capacitive$).

Maybe... knock on wood... we'll see a device with this hardware running Nova? I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast