Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 93
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t View Post
    That begs the question what is the other "half a treo" that Treo Pro is missing.

    I was a Treo 600 user, who have migrated through 3 generations of Windows Mobile; WM2003SE (XdaIIs), WM5 (838pro), WM6 (TyTNII); to current WM6.1 (TreoPro). Mmm ... all four were HTC manufactured devices.

    Perhaps it has been too long ago, but I find it hard to put down what's missing in TreoPro, that was available on Treo 600. And I don't remember reading of any big improvement on PalmOS from Treo 600 to 755p.
    w00t, my first excuse to post in a Round Robin thread.


    Anyway....in a way I consider the Pro to be "half a Treo" when compared to the 800w. The reason is that the Pro lacks a lot of Palm's little tweaks, tips, and tricks.

    People will often ask me what these are, and honestly I have a hard time quantifying it. Part of that is I don't spend a lot of time away from my 700wx or 800w, but a larger part of it is that Palm's Special Sauce (as I like to call it ) is just so plain subtle that you know it's missing when you don't have it, but you can't place your finger on it.

    Just a handful of things that I've seen digging through the various ROM's and playing with different devices (not everything is a 800w <-> Pro comparison):

    • Numeric fields default to number (IE: PIN when unlocking the device)
    • Missing extra options/fields from various plugins/programs (IE: extra numbers on speed dialing).
    • Palm's threaded messaging with native MMS support for Sprint (granted, disabled initially, but the programming was done for it, just need to flip it on).
    • Numerous tweaks to help improve battery life.
    • Numerous tweaks to improve OS speed/stability that aren't included on many devices.
    • Today screen tweaks.
    • Today screen plugins (I personally love the way the lookup plugin works).
    • Various menu tweaks (such as the soft keys on the today screen).


    And the list goes on.

    There's plenty of stuff that Palm does that's just plain silly or useless (like the Maps program/plugin on the 800w....ugh). But it's that special sauce that I love.
  2. #42  
    I also feel like Treo is losing its taste of Treoness.

    I'm currently using 800w and was considering to switch to Touch Pro
    but i can't never let go of one hand using capability.

    I wish both Treo Pro and 800w was thinner but wider

    i've been long time palm os user too and thought i never can depart myself from POS but guess what?? i was trying to use my friend's centro a bit recently and couldn't use it as fast as my winmo treo.

    As Ebag said, touch pro has such a cool thing as touchflow3d and stuff
    but i love how palm implementing and hiding their special sauce so once you don't have it you'll be like "what the heck!!" lol. Treo 800w was my first winmo unit since pocket pc 2002 (i believe it was toshiba e310???) and whenever i try my friend's winmo i always tripping due to lack of features that i'm so used to.

    I love how palm does its subtle tweaks
  3. chuazy's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #43  
    ya... palm is losing the innovation that they used to have with palm pilot "/
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by sabre23t View Post
    That begs the question what is the other "half a treo" that Treo Pro is missing.
    Elegance, speed and ease of use are missing. That's not to say any of us would want to return to, say, the Treo 600 but something has been lost over the years.
  5. #45  
    You mean you think they are missing. You have to say you think or that you assume or that you heard or allegedly. As you say you haven't used one yet!

    Anyhoo back on topic:...

    Dieter, How did you get on with Flexmail?
    That IMAP Pusher Service I mentioned earlier has a tendency to crash and it rapes the battery so I'm removing it. I'm interested in Flexmail's IMAP push with gmail and threaded email views.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    You mean you think they are missing. You have to say you think or that you assume or that you heard or allegedly. As you say you haven't used one yet!

    .
    I can't get phones that I don't have to do what I think they should.
    Everything just seems to be missing.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    The new version of Spb Wireless Monitor tells you exactly what program is access data and how much it has used. Its awesome, I've been using version 3 since it was released. I love it!
    Dieter, just wondering if this was a solution to your problem and if you found out what was access the net all the time?
  8. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    w00t, my first excuse to post in a Round Robin thread.


    Anyway....in a way I consider the Pro to be "half a Treo" when compared to the 800w. The reason is that the Pro lacks a lot of Palm's little tweaks, tips, and tricks.

    People will often ask me what these are, and honestly I have a hard time quantifying it. Part of that is I don't spend a lot of time away from my 700wx or 800w, but a larger part of it is that Palm's Special Sauce (as I like to call it ) is just so plain subtle that you know it's missing when you don't have it, but you can't place your finger on it.

    Just a handful of things that I've seen digging through the various ROM's and playing with different devices (not everything is a 800w <-> Pro comparison):

    • Numeric fields default to number (IE: PIN when unlocking the device)
    • Missing extra options/fields from various plugins/programs (IE: extra numbers on speed dialing).
    • Palm's threaded messaging with native MMS support for Sprint (granted, disabled initially, but the programming was done for it, just need to flip it on).
    • Numerous tweaks to help improve battery life.
    • Numerous tweaks to improve OS speed/stability that aren't included on many devices.
    • Today screen tweaks.
    • Today screen plugins (I personally love the way the lookup plugin works).
    • Various menu tweaks (such as the soft keys on the today screen).


    And the list goes on.

    There's plenty of stuff that Palm does that's just plain silly or useless (like the Maps program/plugin on the 800w....ugh). But it's that special sauce that I love.
    Just to clarify, none of these are on the Pro? (And for those that are not comparisons to the 800w, what are they comparing to?) Looks like a disappointment for prospective Pro buyers, tho...

    And Dieter, either Palm was listening to the TreoCasts or GMTA, what with the CES announcement today (Dieter had said that CES would be Palm's best chance to demo Nova, which appears to be what they're going to do)...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Just to clarify, none of these are on the Pro? (And for those that are not comparisons to the 800w, what are they comparing to?) Looks like a disappointment for prospective Pro buyers, tho...
    None of those are on the Pro.

    The Pro is primarily an HTC device with the Treo form factor.

    The 800w and 700wx are the basis for my comparison, but it's really a comparison in general to any non-true-Palm device, including the Treo Pro and 750 (which also lacked many of the Palm specific tweaks, though it did have Palm's threaded messaging).


    Don't get me wrong. The Pro is a well done device IMHO. There's a lot of little things I dislike about it (the keyboard being the primary one), but there's a lot of things I do like about it as well. If the roles were reversed and the 800w was GSM and the Pro was CDMA, I'd be perfectly satisfied using a Pro....and a lot happier after I ported the 800w stuff to the Pro.
  10. chuazy's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #50  
    does palm treo pro still keep any of the palm OS stuff or is it a true and true win mo device?
  11. #51  
    You can purchase StyleTap to use Palm OS programs.

    Other than that, the two are completely separate.
  12. #52  
    I never really cared for all the Palm Customization.
    Just call me Berd.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I never really cared for all the Palm Customization.
    Really? Which of the tweaks/customizations that I mentioned above do you not like?
  14. T-ulk's Avatar
    Posts
    414 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #54  
    i liked picture dial, google search, speed dial, task manager (pressing ok?), shortcuts for tasks, memo. some were on t750 and some r on tp. u can use 3rd party but its nice to have by default.
  15. #55  
    The Treo form factor was the ultimate reason I permanently switched to the WM platform. Prior to the 800W, I suffered through 4 WM phones and hated each one.
  16. Q
    Q is offline
    Q's Avatar
    Posts
    686 Posts
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Don't get me wrong. The Pro is a well done device IMHO. There's a lot of little things I dislike about it (the keyboard being the primary one), but there's a lot of things I do like about it as well. If the roles were reversed and the 800w was GSM and the Pro was CDMA, I'd be perfectly satisfied using a Pro....and a lot happier after I ported the 800w stuff to the Pro.
    I agree that the Pro is a well-done device overall; while I might like to see some of Palm's customizations, I'm sure many of them have equivalent 3rd party apps.

    If the Pro and 800w were reversed, though, I'm not sure what I'd do... I can't see myself switching to CDMA, and though I prefer the size of the 800w's keyboard, in all other respects I prefer the Pro.
  17. chuazy's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The Treo form factor was the ultimate reason I permanently switched to the WM platform. Prior to the 800W, I suffered through 4 WM phones and hated each one.
    haha agree... and htc having troubles with their video drivers again. i wonder if treo pro is affected as well
  18. #58  
    Tell us the truth Dieter... is the Treo Pro the most well-rounded smartphone? Good at everything but rarely best at anything? The choice for the user who does it all? Or is it just too ordinary in most respects to justify the price, especially given Palm's poor reliability record?
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Really? Which of the tweaks/customizations that I mentioned above do you not like?
    From another Thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Actually, it defaults to the standard WM6.1 dialer/contact lookup now; the contact search from today is now gone. I'm personally ok with this as I believe that the standard WM6.1 dialer is actually superior as you can dial names or numbers and it'll match it up to your contacts. Plus, the Treo 750 contact lookup from Today was buggy.
    And I have to agree.
    Just call me Berd.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    From another Thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Actually, it defaults to the standard WM6.1 dialer/contact lookup now; the contact search from today is now gone. I'm personally ok with this as I believe that the standard WM6.1 dialer is actually superior as you can dial names or numbers and it'll match it up to your contacts. Plus, the Treo 750 contact lookup from Today was buggy.
    And I have to agree.
    The 800w's contact lookup plugin works the same, you can dial by name or by number. So no difference there.

    The 750 was another non-true Palm device. It was also outsourced to HTC, IIRC (HTC Cheetah). The lookup was not the same as the 800w's (or 700wx for that matter).

    You can see how Palm's works by looking at the User Guide.
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb...wsprint_UG.pdf

    Page 77 has a picture of it in action (user dialing by name).

    Whether you care for the default WM dialer or not is going to be largely personal preference. But one isn't really superior to the other, as far as base functionality goes.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions