1. WDW
    Hi all. I have had my ATT 750 for over a year and have it customized to the point that it really works well for me, despite its obvious shortcomings and tiny screen. I wondered if any of you were using the Treo Pro on AT&T and came from a long relationship with the 750. If so, how does it stack up? What great improvements are there over the 750 (besides the obvious wifi, better bluetooth, 3.5 jack). What things does the 750 do better?

My biggest issues with the 750 are:
    Battery life. Barely lasts a day even when I turn 3G off. I do have push email as part of the culprit, however.
    Phone radio. Lots of dropped calls and poor reception in the Atlanta area.
    Built in memory. I use a lot of third party apps and have run out of internal program space. So I have had to install some of them to the slower SD card. How much more memory does the Pro have than the 750? The reports I have seen are conflicting.

One thing that concerns me is the square qwerty config vs. the 750's smile layout. I type quite well on the 750. Has the Pro been any more difficult to type on than the 750?

One last thing. Have you had any issues using the Pro with AT&T being that it is unbranded? Do any features not work because of this?

I would appreciate any feedback you all have in this area. I love Windows Mobile...not because it is great, but I have learned it inside out and can now make my devices do most anything I need. So my other option right now is the Fuze which packs a ton of features and software. But the side slider and the crummy d-pad make that very unappealing to me. Thanks in advance.
    Treo 750 - ATT branded
    Version: TREO750-2.25-ATT
    WM6 Prof.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I had a 750 for a year and a half and now have a Pro on AT&T. The pro is better all around. I didn't have much issue with battery life on the 750, but the Pro is better. Never had dropped calls with either. The Pro has lots more memory available for both programs and data. Not even close. You can also add a MicroSD card of 8GB or more.

The keyboard is a bit harder to use, but not a lot so. As for being an unbranded phone, no issues at all. I just swapped SIMs and I was good to go.

I'm loving the WiFi and GPS and the greater screen resolution.
    Keyboard layout on the 750 was/is better, however the feel of they keys and response on the TP are far superior. No noticable speed decrease for me AFTER using for a little while.

My battery life is much better--no doubt in part because I used a 3rd party email app (Good messaging)on the 750 which was both a memory and resource pig--although a great app. Also larger batter size helps here too. Also, because the charging pulls more amperage which cause issues with some cables and chargers, although plenty work fine--I think it charges quicker so if you are someplace during the day for a short while such as your desk or car you can top it off quite easily. In about 2 months of use I have yet to drain a battery to where I couldn't use it anymore without charging.

Memory--this is HUGE, based on this alone you will be happy. Obviously, the apps you run will make a huge difference but to this day I have not felt I had to soft reset or use an app like Memmaid to free up memory--I have done it a few times out of habit and to see if I could tell a difference but more out of curiosity than need.

As far as missing apps with non-ATT device unless you use some web/network based ATT apps like CV I can't think of anything--at least nothing that impacts functionality.

Customer service is another issue. Problems with an ATT purchased phone are MUCH more easily resolved IMO, perhaps because you are paying them hundreds of dollars a year in bills where as Palm has already made the sale.

Get the TP you will be happy--at least if you are comparing to the 750. Don't go to a slider keyboard, the one handed ease of the front facing qwerty will be sorely missed by you as you are a long time 750 user.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    WDW - i would certainly tell you the switch is well worth it. Overall the TP is so much better. The keyboard is not as easy to type on as the 750, but you learn quickly. Battery life is much better and I do not miss any of the AT&T apps, but I never used them either. I haven't had any problems to need to call AT&T CS, so i can't make a comment there. Overall I have zero regrets in making the switch - the "phone" improvements itself is worth the switch - great reception and no dropped calls that I can recall.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowdawg54 View Post
    WDW - i would certainly tell you the switch is well worth it. Overall the TP is so much better. The keyboard is not as easy to type on as the 750, but you learn quickly. Battery life is much better and I do not miss any of the AT&T apps, but I never used them either. I haven't had any problems to need to call AT&T CS, so i can't make a comment there. Overall I have zero regrets in making the switch - the "phone" improvements itself is worth the switch - great reception and no dropped calls that I can recall.
    quoted for truth!
    Just call me Berd.
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    Customer service is another issue. Problems with an ATT purchased phone are MUCH more easily resolved IMO, perhaps because you are paying them hundreds of dollars a year in bills where as Palm has already made the sale.
    I agree with everything except this one. I actually like the idea that I don't have to go through AT&T. I have had 2 branded phones from them, the Blackjack and the 750 and AT&T was never able to provide any help on device issues for either of them.

From my perspective I consider not having to go through AT&T a major plus.
    Went from a 750 to a Pro and everything is better. Particularly battery life and the extra RAM.
    Much happier with the TP over the 750, screen res, much better battery life, I actually find the TP keyboard easier to type on than the 750s, GPS and Wifi.. and RAM (both program and storage, I can actually run Kinoma Play and Flexmail at the same time without one getting shut down...

Funny enough, I actually think the 750 fits better in the hand than the pro.. the soft touch paint plus being a little thicker to me provides a better feel when holding the device in hand... but for pocketability the pro is awesome..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I agree with everything except this one. I actually like the idea that I don't have to go through AT&T. I have had 2 branded phones from them, the Blackjack and the 750 and AT&T was never able to provide any help on device issues for either of them.

From my perspective I consider not having to go through AT&T a major plus.
    I agree with the the ability of the support people at ATT but you have a very easy warranty repair where they send you a replacement with almost no questions asked or you can go to a repair center and swap it if there is a problem. Palm does not like to exchange and makes you work for it much harder.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  10. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I agree with the the ability of the support people at ATT but you have a very easy warranty repair where they send you a replacement with almost no questions asked or you can go to a repair center and swap it if there is a problem. Palm does not like to exchange and makes you work for it much harder.
    Agreed .

I was more thinking along the lines of tech support for my device as opposed to warranty repair.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    If you like the Treo 750, stick with that form factor. I loved my 750, but it was at the end of its life, so I had to make a switch. I chose the iPhone, as I thought I would like it after playing with my wife's for a little while. I hate it.

I'm going to be getting a new phone in the near future. I'm leaning towards the new BB Javelin, due to its form (and the fact that the Treo Pro and Palm might not be around much longer). I'll wait a while, but that's where I'm leaning now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    ...clip...I actually find the TP keyboard easier to type on than the 750s, ...clip...
    A nd yet I ten d to hit the spa ce b ar more than I'd like.

That's my only gripe.
    Just call me Berd.
    For me the TP is a better phone. I had dropped calles with my 750 and have had none with my TP. Then there is all the other goodies mentioned in your OP, GPS Wi-Fi ect.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Now that the TP BT issue is fixed, I love the phone. Have been on AT&T almost 10 years, switched to GSM as soon as it was available. Had the 750 about a year and a half. TP online now, just dealing with the cracked case issue.
    Tom McElvy
    Va Beach VA USA

Treo 650 --> Treo 680 --> Treo 750 WM6 --> Treo 750 WM5 -> WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Had the AT&T 750 for about a year and a half, was pretty happy with it. This is a nice step up in terms of aesthetics (it's vey slim, and the flush screen is great)and, most importantly, screen resolution. Having gone from a 650 with the 320 x 320 screen to a 750 with the 240 x 240 screen kind of sucked, so I'm very happy to have a nice sharp screen again.

The keyboard took a little getting used to, but it is not bad at all! Even after about a week I can type on the TP just as fast as I could on the 750. Battery life seems to be at least as good as or better than the 750, even with e-mails constantly coming in at all hours. The added memory is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Phone radio. Lots of dropped calls and poor reception in the Atlanta area.
    I'm in Australia, so obviously not on AT&T, but I can certainly vouch for the phone radio being better on the Pro. Telstra is also using an 850MHz 3G network, and the phone is performing much better than my 750 did in marginal areas - to the point where I've been able to switch off GSM fallback completely.