1.    #1  
    So here's what I've been thinking.

I took my 2-3 year old trusty 750 (scratched up and on its last legs after HEAVY usage) to BestBuy and compared it with a dead model of the pro.

Sitting them next to each other- other than thickness they both seem pretty similar in dimensions. True, the Pro is maybe like 1/4 inch thicker but weight is only a difference between 4.7/5.4 ounces. See: http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images...reo-pro-14.jpg

So now I'm thinking, instead of plunking away ~450 bucks on the Pro, why not get one of the 750 STEALs on eBay (Sealed 750s for like ~180 bucks with free shipping) and I'm set for another three years or so (plus I'll sell my old one for like 50 bucks or something). I figure: This way I can afford to have a data plan for another year because if I upgrade to the Pro I HAVE to have wifi on all day (can't afford the data plan then). And If I have the data plan with the 750, I can use it ANYwhere (weekends/free time) whereas with the Pro I'll be restricted to my work area. BTW: is the Wifi significantly faster than 3G? (Can the processor handle the extra speed??)

Plus now I'm thinking 6.1 seems very similar to the final 6.0 ATT release (am I missing something?) and while RAM may not be as great, I never had too big of a problem with the 750. Sure opera gave me "out of memory" messages with the latest version but Skyfire was always blazing and great.

For the 250 dollar difference (that lets me have a data plan) I dont care much about the resolution (never had problems with the 240x240), mini-USB, or the headphone jack. The GPS too is a moot point for me (can't see when I'd use it on the device). AND if I had 3G, why would I ever need wifi (see above)?

So, now, what do you all think? Is the RAM/processor difference worth it if mainly used for messaging and surfing? Would you go for a 750 with a data plan or a PRO restricted to wi-fi (although under very good wifi coverage 95% of the day, which is when its mainly needed)? Final point: I LOVE the 750 keyboard; I'm so used to it I could probably write letters in my sleep - would the Pro keyboard slow me down?

THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by medician View Post
    So here's what I've been thinking.

I took my 2-3 year old trusty 750 (scratched up and on its last legs after HEAVY usage) to BestBuy and compared it with a dead model of the pro.

Sitting them next to each other- other than thickness they both seem pretty similar in dimensions. True, the Pro is maybe like 1/4 inch thicker but weight is only a difference between 4.7/5.4 ounces. See: http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images...reo-pro-14.jpg

So now I'm thinking, instead of plunking away ~450 bucks on the Pro, why not get one of the 750 STEALs on eBay (Sealed 750s for like ~180 bucks with free shipping) and I'm set for another three years or so (plus I'll sell my old one for like 50 bucks or something). I figure: This way I can afford to have a data plan for another year because if I upgrade to the Pro I HAVE to have wifi on all day (can't afford the data plan then). And If I have the data plan with the 750, I can use it ANYwhere (weekends/free time) whereas with the Pro I'll be restricted to my work area. BTW: is the Wifi significantly faster than 3G? (Can the processor handle the extra speed??)

Plus now I'm thinking 6.1 seems very similar to the final 6.0 ATT release (am I missing something?) and while RAM may not be as great, I never had too big of a problem with the 750. Sure opera gave me "out of memory" messages with the latest version but Skyfire was always blazing and great.

For the 250 dollar difference (that lets me have a data plan) I dont care much about the resolution (never had problems with the 240x240), mini-USB, or the headphone jack. The GPS too is a moot point for me (can't see when I'd use it on the device). AND if I had 3G, why would I ever need wifi (see above)?

So, now, what do you all think? Is the RAM/processor difference worth it if mainly used for messaging and surfing? Would you go for a 750 with a data plan or a PRO restricted to wi-fi (although under very good wifi coverage 95% of the day, which is when its mainly needed)? Final point: I LOVE the 750 keyboard; I'm so used to it I could probably write letters in my sleep - would the Pro keyboard slow me down?

THANKS!

hmmm. no. you have asked questions only you can answer. what do you want? I personally could not stand the 750. in fact i could not stand att or the 750. so after 3 long months went back to VZW. what do you have now? If money is an issue keep your 750, until contract is up then change then
    There is a very hard to quantify value in the fact that the TP looks and feels like a new device and the 750 looks more like 3-4 years old.

Personally, I really have grown to like the form factor, especially the thinness which makes a huge difference when I put it in a front jeans pocket.

Also, the huge increase in memory allows much more flexibility when adding apps and or managing memory. I have yet to run into a problem where I needed to force any apps to close.

As far as the OS goes I think you might be correct that there is so little difference between 6.0 and 6.1.

Wifi and GPS are the major feature differences, both of which are great for me. For instance when I get home I can connect to my wifi and it makes it really easy to check work emails AND download attachments as well which now download much faster and have room to download to system temp files instead of adding the layer of the sd card. GPS is actually standalone so apps such as Garmin that don't require data connections can work when you are out of service areas.

But $$ trumps all of this so as the post above says only you can make that call. Sure I could still survive with the 750 but the TP feels like 2008/9 which I really like.

Lastly, you could always spend a little more on the TP and buy directly from Palm then not inform ATT and keep your current data plan, thus saving $10-$20 per month--although many opinions on how likely ATT is to stop this.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    medician, I came from owning a 750 for 15 months and never any serious issues with it. After I got the TP I never looked back and completely agree with everything Dsol has posted.

Also for me WiFi is very much faster than 3G.
    I would tend to agree with Dsol, but I very much liked the 750 and never had any serious issues with it. The wi-fi and navigation are nice features to have, though and would now be hard to do without.
    mobilelawyer
    at your service
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    There was one irritating thing with my 750, it did not wake up from the airplane mode 50% of the time. I had to soft reset it to wake it up.

I have had my Pro for almost 1.5 months and so far, knock on wood there has never been an issue like that with it.
    My Pro fits nicely in my front shirt pocket.
    (thin & lite)

My Pro has never, yes never froze up.

I'm keeping my 750 for backup only.
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone.

I think I'm convinced. Mostly the RAM I figure has got to be a huge upgrade. I am gonna try the WiFi tweak and keep it on from 9 to 5 (foregoing the data plan for a year, until my budget allows it).

Is there a Wifi/Bluetooth scheduling utility out there that could turn those features on/off based on time?

Thanks
    CTScheduler Lite & freeware too.
    I'll sell you my 750 for 100 with an extra battery