1.    #1  
    Quick question: If you go from one site to another, wifi left on, will the treo switch from network 1 to network 2 automatically (if both are properly configured)? OR will it disconnect and prompt you to reconnect??

Important for me because I need it connected to pull email every 5-10 minutes as I move around a campus.

I'm still deciding whether or not to spend the moolah on the Pro (sigh). Seems the battery life can handle it; if it can flawlessly switch, I might be very tempted...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I too am never quite sure about how automatic the wifi connection is.

When I know I'm near a familiar wifi connection and press the side button, it sometimes just shows the fact in the comms bar beneath the 'Start' logo, other times it brings up the whole 'Configure Wireless Networks' window.

It still connects by itself if there's an open wifi source but it's annoying to have the window pop up and then have to close it.
    Great question on the switching. I have never been in an area where 2 wifi networks that I can connect to overlapped.

I do know that once you set up a wifi network in the settings the next time you push the wifi button it does connect without any help, so it is able to search through your known wifi networks at that time and automatically connect.

My gut is that it would swich if one dropped off but keep in mind unless you are running one of the tweaks that allows wifi to stay connected when your screen dims that you would lose your connection at that time anyway.

You also might wind up draining your battery quickly if you leave wifi on all day.

Wish I had the answer for you.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I don't know.

However how's this for an idea (been kicking about in my head for a while):

The Pro has HDPSA/3G, wi-fi and GPS. How about an app that records the GPS location of wi-fi access points that have already been used and then switch the phone to use that when within range?

Example: H/3G connection while on the bus home. When I get to the front door I get switched to wi-fi giving me faster access and saving on data limits.

I know it would possibly rape the battery but I think there's a business case for something like this. If you go off and develop this then just give me free copies ;-)
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    I don't know.

However how's this for an idea (been kicking about in my head for a while):

The Pro has HDPSA/3G, wi-fi and GPS. How about an app that records the GPS location of wi-fi access points that have already been used and then switch the phone to use that when within range?

Example: H/3G connection while on the bus home. When I get to the front door I get switched to wi-fi giving me faster access and saving on data limits.

I know it would possibly rape the battery but I think there's a business case for something like this. If you go off and develop this then just give me free copies ;-)

There's an app like this out there already and some of the comments I read were totally on target as far as draining the battery--so I didn't bother with it. I saw it on a freeware ppc app site.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB