1.    #1  
    The GPS in my Treo Pro sometimes has trouble finding satellites. I'll be outside with a clear view of the sky, but Google Maps reports 0 satellites found and will time out rather than find a signal.

A soft reset doesn't help, but I've found that if I remove the battery and re-insert it, then it'll quickly lock onto the satellites. My hunch is that it's something wrong with my unit's GPS chip, where it goes onto a bad state and needs to be fully reset to work again.

If you're having trouble with the GPS not finding satellites when it should, give this a try!

I'd also be interested if anyone else has observed this, and whether anyone has any sense of whether my unit is defective or if this is typical.
    I was suffering from the same issue on my treo pro and had to return it back to Palm. I got me a motorola q9h in the meantime while another Treo Pro its on the way.

If when I get my replacement Pro, it keeps giving me this GPS problem/issue, I'll give this a try (removing the battery).
    GPS on my original TP quit working and never came back so I got a replacement. Nothing I could do would bring it back. No issues on the new one.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I definitely think it's a hardware issue that the TP came out with this defect right out of the assembly.
  5.    #5  
    Any opinions whether people experiencing this should get a replacement or wait for Palm to issue an update?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLar View Post
    The GPS in my Treo Pro sometimes has trouble finding satellites. I'll be outside with a clear view of the sky, but Google Maps reports 0 satellites found and will time out rather than find a signal.

A soft reset doesn't help, but I've found that if I remove the battery and re-insert it, then it'll quickly lock onto the satellites. My hunch is that it's something wrong with my unit's GPS chip, where it goes onto a bad state and needs to be fully reset to work again.

If you're having trouble with the GPS not finding satellites when it should, give this a try!

I'd also be interested if anyone else has observed this, and whether anyone has any sense of whether my unit is defective or if this is typical.
    I had a similar experience after running the GPS for 45 minutes. It froze and I did the battery removal and everything started working again. I had it plugged in charging in my car.
    Isn't this much bad? I'm mean to pay $500 for a device you expect will have a fully-functional GPS and then to have to remove the battery just to get it working again?
    I don't what the problem was/is, but it works now. The Pro is a very nice device.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Isn't this much bad? I'm mean to pay $500 for a device you expect will have a fully-functional GPS and then to have to remove the battery just to get it working again?
    People pay anywhere up to $5 grand for a computer. They don't expect to never reboot them though.

Your Treo Pro is a computer. A small one, a simple(r) one, but a computer. It needs to be rebooted periodically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    People pay anywhere up to $5 grand for a computer. They don't expect to never reboot them though.

Your Treo Pro is a computer. A small one, a simple(r) one, but a computer. It needs to be rebooted periodically.
    Since it runs Windows...
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Since it runs Windows...
    Linux needs to be rebooted. Unix has to be rebooted. Heck, we reboot out several million dollar mainframe every week.

Reboots are a fact of life. Even your cheap candybar phone with no real "operating system" on it (to speak of) works better with an occasional reboot.